1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

HELP!!! It died and won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP!!! It died and won't start!!!

Hey guys, I need some help. My CTD died while driving it down the road. I tried starting it and it wouldn't, sounded and felt like it was starved for fuel. I cracked open a fuel injector hose spun the motor until it spit out under pressure. Cracked open another line until fuel spit out under pressure. It started back up!!

I drove it home (7 miles) and it died again pulling in the driveway. I changed the fuel filter cracked open the fuel lines to get to start again. I drove it up the road and seems that its not getting fuel, I mashed it to the floor and it done nothing but got weaker then died.

I have to bleed at least two injector lines to get to start back and then it doesn't get much fuel to run 20 mph for a short term then dies.

Could the gov spring come loose, or the fuel solenoid bad? The injector pump, supply pump, and injectors are only 30-35000 miles old.

I appreicate any commits or suggestions. Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm no guru with the innards of a VE. So, the simpler suggestion...if it's not getting fuel, and you changed your filter/seperator, then I would suspect the lift pump. Does it blow gray/white smoke when you mush the go pedal? That's a tell-tale sign of a plugged filter or bad lift pump. The lack of fuel throws off the timing, and you push unburned fuel down your tailpipe.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:07 AM

If bleeding is making it work then I would lean torwords fuel line or hose problums , to check FS look to see if linkage is in the up possion [ pull up with ing. on ] the lift pump try pumping it see if you get resitance and noise after a while of pumping , aso crack a fuel line to see if lift pump squirts.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Check the rubber fuel connections, tank too. My steel lines were corroded when I did mine, I disconnected the pump and the tank. Ran new rubber lines with a larger inside diameter the whole length.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 AM

I know the lift pump is working because I manually filled the new filter with the pump. As I pumped the lift pump it pump fine so, that would rule out any obstructions or line problems back to the tank, I think.

Its weird, it started up yesterday morning idling low. I thought to myself that it didn't sound right. A hour later, it quit.

Why should I have to bleed the lines to get it to crank all of a sudden? Could the fuel pin be stuck causing it not to fuel correctly?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:49 AM

I would say you have a leak in your fuel lines somewhere letting the fuel drain back into the tank.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:04 PM

Now that I think about filling the new filter with the lift pump, I had to pump it alot more than I ever had to before. I think I only had to pump it 6-8 times to fill the filter up. Yesterday I pumped it about 20 times. The lift pump might be bad.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have any pin holes, etc, between the lift pump and the tank, you will suck air into the system. That *could* be the cause of your 20 pumps. What you really need to do, to know for sure, is hook up a gauge between the lift pump and filter to see what sort of pressure the pump is maintaining. If the pump is bad, you'll have really low pressure. If you have a hole in your line between the pump and tank, I think pressure would be good.

Also, and I'm not sure about this one, check your oil. Some mechanical pumps, if you get a pin hole/tear in the diaphram, will let fuel into the crankcase.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Good idea!!! Thanks
Old 06-01-2005, 03:39 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Don't think just because you can't see fuel the line isn't sucking air....
Old 06-01-2005, 05:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I`ll chime in on the air leak idea too, seems pretty common as these trucks get older.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:51 AM

It sounds like this fix is going to really suck. I bet the rubber hoses on the tank does breakdown and crack over time. It sounds very logical. Thanks

I've have been thinking about adding an electric fuel pump at the tank to push the fuel to prevent the pump from straving at higher RPMs. This might be a good time to do it.

Thanks guys!!!!!! I hope I can return the favor one day
Old 06-04-2005, 03:25 PM

just my 2cent mine did the same thing pulled off fuel shut off solanoid cleaned threads reinstalled and no more dying . see if this helpes.gooood luck
Old 06-04-2005, 09:08 PM

to find out if leak is in lines in tank fill up the tank all the way to the cap it will plug any leaks in there just a cheap test

Quick Reply: HELP!!! It died and won't start!!!