3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

2 cycle oil as an additive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you actually running a castor based oil??? if so you should have lots of nasty carbon build up and gummy black residue all over the place. castor went out in the late 70's. it was a good lubricant and would actualy seek out hot spots in the engine and cling to those hot surfaces much better than petroleum type oils. The bad is that it does not mix with gasoline easily and it burns ‘dirty’ (excessive carbon/varnish deposits). back In the early 70s, before power valves were used, castor bean oil was very popular in racing 2-strokes. Now that power valves are common and there are much improved petroleum and synthetic oils, castor bean oil is rarely used anymore. Several companies still sell it but only in the form of a degummed castor oil for racing applications only. Its a known fact that it should be avoided for recreational use unless you enjoy tearing your engine down for a top end cleanup very often. I ran Maxima synthetic/petroleum blend in my banshees also at 32:1. you ran 5 tanks of fuel through your banshee in a weekend? you must have never shut it off. my kids didnt even burn that much and they never stopped. LOL . I think part of the reason a diesel engine would build more carbon might be the fact that a cummins is a 4 stroke engine and only fires half as often as a two stroke engine does, therefore there is twice as much time for the oil to sit and cook onto hot parts between firing cycles. also cylinder temps are probably quite a bit higher on a two stroke gas motor , at least most of the time. riding your banshee in the dunes your motor is screaming most of the time. lots of wide open throttle passes. I mean , who rides up a big dune at 1/4 throttle on a 350 twin 2 stroke? cylinder temps are usually over 1000 degrees and stay there probably 60-70% of the time. at least thats what my pyrometer with a probe 6 inches down the pipe on my banshe said. our trucks, while rolling down the freeway are running maybe 6-700 degrees just outside the head? big difference. yes I'm sure on big grades pulling heavy loads you will commonly reach 1200 degrees but that kind of use accounts for only maybe 2% of your trucks run time?
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I didn't say this in the beginning but I drag race. So I am always WOT. And yes I can burn 5 tanks of fuel in one weekend with no problems. I normally run out of fuel before we are ready to go home. Big drag ported motors take alot of fuel. I run Klotz Supertechnaplate 32:1 I made the switch to alky about 2 years ago, but most of my time riding was on gas.

I don't run a pyro on my truck but I have asked around and have been told 1300 degrees is not uncommon to run.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can say that using 1/2 oz of 2 cycle oil per gallon will quite down the injectors but then I also lose no less then 1 mpg. I can't see using it when it causes a loss in fuel mileage.

JMHO
Old 04-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Talking thanks

Thanks for all the information.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM

There are undoubtly a mulitude of opinions on the 2 stroke subject. I run 1/2 oz per gal in my truck and my Kuboda tractor. The only reason its not in the motorhome is because the motorhome has a DPF. Readers with questions should use the search feature there has been more written on this subject than most. There are many pro's and con's and a decision each owner makes.I believe in helps and does in fact replace lubricant back into USLD diesel. There is also no doubt that late model engines 07.5 and up are designed to run on USLD and running two stroke in one of these motors would mess up the DPF in a hurry. I guess it comes down to, if you like it use it.