3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

1st Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Oil Change Question

I changed the oil in my 2007 5.9l for the first time at 7500miles. I have done oil changes all my life on gasoline engines and was sure I would get oil all over myself from the location of the filter. To my suprise no oil spilled when removing the filter. Now I'm concerned because the filter was not full of oil. Is this normal? I don't see how the filter could not be full unless it was defective and oil was not pumping through it. Is the filter full flow? Does all the oil that lubes the engine pass throught the filter or just a slip stream?

Thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you drained the oil pan first and let it drain for a few minutes it sucked some oil out of the top of the oil filter normal dont worry about it
Old 01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A trick I use on the filter is after it is broke loose and spins freely is to put a H.D. Plastic bag over it prior to removing it...keeps those little spills from becoming a mess..don't forget to check for the wire chaffing issue where the wires touch the Pressure switch on the AC Pump as well..do a search on this..
Old 01-16-2008, 10:44 AM

I noticed the same thing the first time I changed the oil on my CTD. I drained the oil pan first, let it drain for about 15 minutes and when I pulled the filter I noticed it was half full. I also loosen the filter and place a trashbag up in there for the filter to fall in. Eliminates 90% of the mess. Make sure you fill the filter back up prior to spinning it back onto the engine.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM

yup a new filter will take almost a half gallon of oil by its self once it soaks the oil up... i drain mine and while its draining check the tires and what not... by the time the oil is done it has pulled enough oil off the filter that i can unscrew it and no oil spills out.

i got to get on the ball with the rest of the maintnace though. im behind on grease points and tranny and fuel filter.... iv just been changing oil and oil filter every 9k thats about it....
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
yup a new filter will take almost a half gallon of oil by its self once it soaks the oil up...

Please don't take this the wrong way, but what filter are you using? A Fleetguard filter takes 1 quart of oil to fill.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM

i had a fram and this last one i had i cant remember the name off the top of my head.. i was able to pour very close to half a gallon in there before it was full.. i filled it up and let it sit a few sec and it would abosrb it thenrepeat until it stopped dropping. its was close to the half way point of the jug when it was done....
Old 01-16-2008, 02:43 PM

That's interesting because most replacement oil filters take 1 quart to fill. I understand the absorption part. I change my oil about 6 times a year.

Hopefully you realize from reading this site that Fram filters are not approved by Dodge/Cummins. It sounds like you used something else the last time you changed the oil.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:49 PM

i have not been on here very long to read much, but now that you said they are not approved i will keep that in mind....

im not saying that i took an exact messurement of it or any thing but just by glancing it was "around" half the bottle. it could have been much less just because i wasnt paying 100% attention to it i just remembering holy cow this thing is taking alot....

and yes i didnt run a fam this last time.. i cant remember the name of it... the guy at O'rielys (sp?) said its made by Purolator i think.... only cost me like 5 bucks for the filter....

i made a post asking what brand and types of filters and oils and what not you guys run but i got very little feedback....Basically i have only changed the oil and oil filter every 9k... the rest of the maintance i have no clue about so iv been trying to search around... im not looking for power just longativity of the truck...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
i have not been on here very long to read much, but now that you said they are not approved i will keep that in mind....

im not saying that i took an exact messurement of it or any thing but just by glancing it was "around" half the bottle. it could have been much less just because i wasnt paying 100% attention to it i just remembering holy cow this thing is taking alot....

and yes i didnt run a fam this last time.. i cant remember the name of it... the guy at O'rielys (sp?) said its made by Purolator i think.... only cost me like 5 bucks for the filter....

i made a post asking what brand and types of filters and oils and what not you guys run but i got very little feedback....Basically i have only changed the oil and oil filter every 9k... the rest of the maintance i have no clue about so iv been trying to search around... im not looking for power just longativity of the truck...
Just follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual

Nick