3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

05 Ram Diesel cylinder 1 isnt fireing....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Ram Diesel cylinder 1 isnt fireing....

Hi everyone new to the site and I have to say thanx so much because Ive been searching things on here for a few weeks now so much help and ideas.

Ok so my truck started idling rough a few weeks back so I put in a few bottles of Diesel Kleen and a new fuel filter it ran a little better then back to crap. So I looked into a few things used a digital thermometer and all cylinders but #1 were well over 190 and cylinder was around 150-160. So I changed out the #1 injector with a new one and it still idles rough not much white smoke but when the truck warms up the idle smooths out a bit but still rough. Any ideas?
Old 12-18-2012, 08:24 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

It's a pretty good bet you have more than 1 injector failing. How many miles are on them? I just had F1 rebuild mine 3 weeks ago and at 302k miles it started running a bit rough and the exhaust was so rich with unburned fuel that it would burn your eyes. New sticks and all is well. After the install and startup it idled so smooth that a beer can wouldn't even vibrate off the valve cover!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Thank you for answering!

The truck on has a 170k on it and GOD i hope there aren't more going out those things are a little too pricey to replace. But I do smell unburned fuel even tho its not smoking. Do you know of a good way to test them?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:37 PM

The best way to test them is to pull them and have em tested by a certified injection shop. If you rap the throttle do the rpm's seem to hang up between 1000-1200? If so you definitely have injector problems. You could also by a rail cap and cap off each cylinder individually until the rough idle goes away.....or find someone with a scan tool to do an injector kill test.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 AM

Thanks for all the ideas. Now if my buddy only had time to run his computer on the truck lol.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

#1 is obviously plugged off, with changing the injector, did you replace the tube as well?

On the kill test, the engine should lope pretty good. If it doesn't, that injector is over fueling.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 PM

I didnt change the tube. Everyone I talked to no one said anything about that as well.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:55 AM

When I did my injectors I cleaned all the tubes with Scotchbrite (even though they were super clean for their age and miles) and sprayed brake cleaner through them from the small hole out (back flushed them I guess for lack of better words) just to make sure they were clean and free of any debris. They do have screens made into them.....might pull the tube and try that in case the screen is clogged.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 AM

I soaked it in the coleman camping fuel for about 30-45 mins but nothing came out of it so maybe it is clogged.
I cant thank everyone enough for all these great ideas. Im sure Im not the only one but I know I get so caught up in getting something fixed that you cant get you head around anything else and nothing sounds right. So thank you again.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:47 AM

I have an 03 and had a very similar issue as you truck has 120000 miles and developed an intermittent miss on #1 at idle for about a year. I tried cleaners swapped known good injectors in the same hole always the same thing. Finally I came the idea that it must be something electrical. So I started with the easiest things I started cleaning all the ground wires i could find one at a time and then starting the truck after each one til the problem went away.. The best part is it did fix it the grond wire that attaches to the front fender on the passenger side beside the battery was the problem. It fixed my problem intermediately. Just sayin alot of electrical stuff on these truck might be worth a look.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:50 AM

I will check that as well thanks Smokey!
Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cadimanjd
I soaked it in the coleman camping fuel for about 30-45 mins but nothing came out of it so maybe it is clogged.
Did you blow them out with an airhose after you soaked them? You should be able to blow through them with your mouth if they are clear and unobstructed......it's not like blowing through a straw mind you....you will have resistance....but you should still be able to blow through them.

Hope you get it worked out.....little things like that annoy the crap out of me too so I know where you're coming from.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM

No I didnt do that either Jhenson it was a heat of the moment or a heated moment I cant really remember. lol. Thinking soaking them would have cleaned them out. BUt..... haha I might just buy a set of the new style ones there only $240 for the set shipped on eBay. Then when I do that I can pull and clean the injectors as well and GOD willing it will work great again. But that depends if were still alive after tomorrow hahaha
Old 12-21-2012, 08:13 PM

Ok so after the diagnostic run today the computer said I might need intake heater or fuel pressure sensor. But I wont know til wed night the full extent of whats needed because my buddy needs me to drop it off over night so he can test it cold.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
KINDA curious----so what was it??????????????????
Hope ya got it fixed

Quick Reply: 05 Ram Diesel cylinder 1 isnt fireing....