3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

03 Ram HO CTD Engine factory exhaust temperature and boost probe locations...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Ram HO CTD Engine factory exhaust temperature and boost probe locations...

...anyone have any pics or suggestions on where to tap them.<br><br>I have gauges from my Chevy and no instructions for the 03 Ram.<br><br>I assume (makes an A$$ out of U and ME) that Cummins already has pretapped places (bungs) to install the Exhaust emperature and boost sensors.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:22 PM

Re:03 Ram HO CTD Engine factory exhaust temperature and boost probe locations...

You assume wrong. You have to drill &amp; tap a hole yourself to put gauges on. They don't even have a spot to tap into for the boost guage like the old ones did. You have to drill &amp; tap for it as well. <br><br>I have gauges and pillar mount pod allready just NEED A STINKING TRUCK TO PUT THEM IN &gt; &gt; &gt; &gt;<br><br>don't get me started.<br><br>Mister still waiting - even more impatienly.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:04 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:03 Ram HO CTD Engine factory exhaust temperature and boost probe locations...

[quote author=Hummin' Cummins link=board=20;threadid=11615;start=0#110312 date=1046475001]<br>...anyone have any pics or suggestions on where to tap them.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Hummin Man,<br><br>I tapped my manifold (for EGT) about midway between the flange to the turbo and the top of the manifold. You will note it is not flat on the 2003. There is a partition front to back that splits that shaft, so drill on the high point either to the front or rear. I drilled on the rear rise. It is a bear to loosen the flange, but I wanted sufficient space to put a cardboard between that flange and the turbo to stop shavings dropping down into the turbo. The two back nuts are tough to get loose. You can get close to 1/2&quot; space in that flange joint allowing a thin piece of cardboard or plastic to go in that space. The tapping produced the most problem of dropping shavings. I greased the drill up real good before and during drilling and kept those shavings out. You obviously need to remove that big black plastic tube thingy from the air cleaner to allow for more room to work.
Old 02-28-2003, 08:39 PM

How about a picture of the install there Bob ? I've read the directions (several times) that came with the autometer gauges - but looking at pictures of the engine, the exhaust manifold is quite a bit different than my '97 was. The '97 was real straight forward - I installed the pyro probe no problem. It looks like on the '03 the probe will be mounted horizontally though....is that the way yours is ? or did you mount it vertically in the main 'log' portion of manifold ? If I understand your post - you're probe is sitting horizontally, which is kind of what I gather it should be - picture would clear it up though.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:58 AM

[quote author=misterKTM link=board=20;threadid=11615;start=0#110324 date=1046478173]They don't even have a spot to tap into for the boost guage like the old ones did. You have to drill &amp; tap for it as well. [/quote]<br><br>Get the Turbo Boost Gauge Fitting from Piers Diesel Research for $18. Replaces one of the manifold bolts and the boost fitting screws right in, no drilling or tapping!
Old 03-03-2003, 07:01 AM

DaveC...do they have something of the sort for the pyro as well?<br><br>What is max boost on the CTDho anyway...
Old 03-03-2003, 08:24 AM

[quote author=Hummin' Cummins link=board=20;threadid=11615;start=0#111095 date=1046696465]
DaveC...do they have something of the sort for the pyro as well?[/quote]

Nope gotta drill and tap the pyro. Here's some good instructions, haven't had the time to install mine yet.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:59 AM

:'( :'( I've been waiting for over four months now for the BD digital egt, boost unit to be finished and sent to my dealer with no results yet. I'd prefer analog guages, but so far no one has made a pillar mount that will be compatible with the hand-hold on the '03 pillar post. Has anyone had any better luck than me in finiding them? One would think that with the popularity of the '03s someone would make something that would work????? ??? ???
Old 03-20-2003, 02:38 PM

This is my first post and had a question on the pyro probe<br>installation.<br>Is there a gasket at the connection point between the<br>exhaust manifold flange and turbo that will need to be<br>replaced in order to reinstall the turbo? <br><br>Jim (Anxiously waiting my first diesel Ram to arrive!!! ;D )
Old 03-20-2003, 03:08 PM

Usually there is a metal gasket that goes in between the two. I have plans just to drill the hole while the truck is running to have the exhaust gasses blow the debris up out of the hole as I'm drilling. The grease thing works well two in conjunction of having the truck running. Take your time. <br>
Old 03-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

TinJim,
There is a gasket between the two. I had no problems with it. You do not need to drop the turbo off, just drop it down sufficiently to allow a thin piece of cardboard or something like that to slip in the slot when it drops - - the drop is about 3/8&quot;. You will have four nuts to remove. The two back ones are tough getting loose unless you are with the circus.

I highly recommend all the safety tips all ready given out and putting something in that slot. In spite of my being careful, some shavings were on that cardboard when I pulled it out. Not worth taking the chance on it when you can do something simple and know you have protected the turbo. Be sure to drill on the high spot, not the low area in the middle.

By the way, welcome to the forum. Lots of good info floats around here along with some good fun (except for that bunch of blue sheep that keep wandering around on the forum).
Old 03-21-2003, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the replys FiverBob and TON4FUN. Feeling more<br>and more confident installing that EGT probe. This is my<br>first diesel Ram after owning two V10 Rams and the Forums<br>here have been a wealth of info. Appreciate the welcome.<br><br>
Old 03-21-2003, 11:41 PM

???What kind of guages should I be looking for? I keep hearing about exhaust temps etc. This is new to me. First time Cummins owner w/exhaust brake. Want to make it last! Thanks. I think this is where I want to be! There is knowledge flowing arround!
Old 03-22-2003, 05:52 AM

A pyrometer or more commonly an &quot;Exhaust Gas Temperature gauge&quot; will measure your engine load or the obvious. From what I am getting this gauge is pretty much mandatory.<br><br>A &quot;fuel pressure gauge&quot; is nice as you can tell if the lift pump and fuel pump are priming properly or if your fuel has gelled (obvisouly there will be no pressure in these situations)<br><br>A &quot;boost gauge&quot; is simply fun to watch. But does tell you if there are any exhaust restrictions or intake leaks.<br><br>
Old 03-24-2003, 11:33 AM

EGT probe tap without removing Turbo

Easy tap
No need to remove the turbo to drill and tap. Start drilling a starter hole on the manifold in an area you can get a drill in to. Don't drill all the way through. Start the truck and put a restriction in the exhaust pipe (firewood log) Finish drilling through the manifold with the engine running. The back pressure will slow down the turbo and force all the drill shavings out the hole you just drilled. Shut the truck off after a couple of seconds of blowing the hole clear. Insert your tap and start threading. Re-start the truck and finish the tap job. Use gloves as the tap and handle will get a little warm to the touch with exhaust gas bowing on it. Just did mine this weekend using the following procedure and everything worked out well and I was done in about 10 minutes. I strongly recommend doing this operation on a cold engine to reduce temperatures on your hands.
Jeff

Quick Reply: 03 Ram HO CTD Engine factory exhaust temperature and boost probe locations...