3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

$850 for 30K dealer service !!! Phoenix alternative, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$850 for 30K dealer service !!! Phoenix alternative, etc.

Need to get my 30K Schedule B service done and called dealer for prices. Here is the breakdown:

Transmission Band Adjust $190
Transmission Flush $149
Front Differential Fluid $136
Rear Differential Fluid $129
Oil Change $65
Fuel Filter $109
Tire Rotation/Balance $15
Air Filter $28

I think they also missed quoting me for the transfer case service ???

Well I guess it is time to start learning to "wrench" (yeah, I am lame) or atleast find an alternative. Any service places in Phoenix that wont mess it up or should I even consider just taking it a local "gas motor" shop for a better price ??? I wouldnt necessarily mind payin $400-$500 max but $850+ is outrageous.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:53 PM

Oh yeah, should I just bite the bullet on this one for warranty issues incase something does happen ??? but then again, I guess I would have to bite it several times if I go along with this theory until I get 100,00K miles
Old 01-08-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$109.00 buck for a fuel filter change!!!!!!!

That makes me sick!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM

$109 for fuel filter change?! That is out of control! The filter costs like $15 from Geno’s and takes like 15 min to change. I veteran could do it in 5 min.

Why does the front differential cost more? It holds less fluid. It might take a few more minutes because of the track par in the way, but when I did mine it wasn’t that big of a deal.

My CTD has about the easiest oil change I’ve ever seen. You don’t have to jack it up; the oil plug takes a 3/8’ ratchet, no fumbling around for the correct socket. All you need for the oil filter is a filter socket and a long 3/8” extension or two, like 12” or more.

Geno’s has the air filter for like $13 and it will take you all of 60 seconds to change.

Transmission flush? Just buy twice the amount of fluid you need and do it twice back to back running the truck in-between. Shouldn’t cost you what they quote.

Bands? Can’t be that bad, just get the book, drop the pan, and change the filter while you are at it.

Rotate tires? Self explanatory.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:21 PM

I'm about to have mine done too, but my dealer doesn't charge as bad as that, plus, you only need a flush, not bands adjusted. It's my understanding that isn't done anymore.

I had my diffs done at 15K, but I'm not having them done this service. That's a ridiculous interval.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
$109.00 buck for a fuel filter change!!!!!!!

That makes me sick!
Please have the $tealership explain that one and let us know what the lame excuse is. That is out and out robbery.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Transmission Band Adjust $190 - No need
Transmission Flush $149- not a bad price
Front Differential Fluid $136 - DIY $21 for oil 75W90 Mobil 1
Rear Differential Fluid $129 - DIY $28 for oil 75W90 mobil 1
Oil Change $65 DIY $40 3 gallons 15W40 and fleetguard stratapore filter
Fuel Filter $109 DIY $15 fleetguard 7micron Fuel Filter
Tire Rotation/Balance $15 good price
Air Filter $28 DIY $20

If you did the above DIY's and had the dealer do the tranny flush, it would cost you $288 if my math is right. All you need for tools is a 13mm socket to remove the diff covers, a 1 1/8" socket to remove the fuel filter, and a filter removal tool and 3/8" socket wrench.

All the above DIY's would take you 3 hours, if you take your time. Do a search here for capacities and how to's on each of these. There are plenty of step by step instructions on here.

DIY will save you over $500 every 30k. Especially since you are supposed to do those diffs and Fuel filter every 15k, oil change every 7.5k.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:08 PM

You better be buying a shop manual bud- you'll save a fortune! Save receipts on all your materials for warranty situations. The tire deal is good but they will probably screw it up! Craig
Old 01-08-2007, 07:10 PM

$109.00 for the dealer to change the fuel filter on my first CTD was the exact reason I learned how to DIY!!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:13 PM
Chapter President

You buy the beer, some oil and the misc parts needed, I have all the tools here. We can do most of that in my drive way. Otherwise send me a PM and I'll get you the name and number of some GREAT people in town...
tom
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM

Did they lube you up before they stuck it in?
You got reamed brother!!
Mike
###
Old 01-08-2007, 11:40 PM

Man it sucks for anyone to get reamed like that. And think about all the retired folks pulling 5'ers around that don't really have any other option other than to empty their bank account at the dealership. Seems like robbery to me.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by twvette
Need to get my 30K Schedule B service done and called dealer for prices. Here is the breakdown:

Transmission Band Adjust $190
Transmission Flush $149
Front Differential Fluid $136
Rear Differential Fluid $129
Oil Change $65
Fuel Filter $109
Tire Rotation/Balance $15
Air Filter $28

I think they also missed quoting me for the transfer case service ???

Well I guess it is time to start learning to "wrench" (yeah, I am lame) or atleast find an alternative. Any service places in Phoenix that wont mess it up or should I even consider just taking it a local "gas motor" shop for a better price ??? I wouldnt necessarily mind payin $400-$500 max but $850+ is outrageous.
Never and I mean NEVER let anyone flush the trans.
What they do will cause all the crap in the filter and pan to be pushed back into the trans.....Not Good.
Drop the pan and change the filter. Don`t buy a band adjustment. It`s bunk just like the trans flush.
Also buy an Amsoil Nano drop in filter for 37 bucks. They are good for 100K and need no oiling or solvents. Just blow it out every 25K.
The transfer case service has a fill and drain plug. 5 min. of work to drain and fill. The fuel filter and oil change are very simple. Save the 850.00 and learn how to D.I.Y. It`s very rewarding and you save big money.
As far as warranty goes. The dealer try`s to brain wash everyone into believing they need to have dealer service for warranty purposes. That total B/S. Keep you receipt`s and make a log of date and mileage. That`s all you need for warranty purposes.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:28 AM

The trans FLIUD EXCHANGE is the BEST thing you can do to a auto trans.Most do not back FLUSH.The trans itself pumps it out and the bladder in the machine pumps it in.Maybe change filter every other time.What little depris is in pan does not get by the filter or even move..Do a web search on the BG machines and read up on them.New fliud(and not just a few quarts) is the life blood of a auto trans. Also some of these dealers need to learn about doing things at a MAINTANCE level repair rate to retain customers.$12 or $15 bucks labor on the fuel filter is plenty.When doing a trans flush and filter togather the dealers I worked in we gave a BIG discount.We charged a additional $30 bucks labor plus filter to do BOTH.Techs already under it etc.Ban adjust can be checked really quick and very few are messed with other then at a rebuild etc.There are or should be a maintance rate,competive rate and a REPAIR rate each being a differant amount of labor per flat rate hour charged.I see some that just plug in .5 at $50 bucks etc.It runs customers away.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:34 AM

I live in a condo, and cannot do that myself. Nor do I have the knowledge, and I'm not going to teach myself on a $40K vehicle. That being said, my dealer basically charges the price of the fuel filter, then a few bucks to change it.

Of course, I have 10 yr relationship with my dealer, and have bought severla vehicles there, so maybe that is why?

At any rate, at my 30K service in a couple weeks will be:

oil/filter (I have a coupon for 49.99 from the dealer)
tranny fluid change (flush, whatever you call it)
fuel filter and air filters (I do this every 10K)
PA State inspection

My tires are brand new 3 weeks ago, so no need to rotate. If they suggest I have the transfer case done, I'll do it, but as I said above, I'm not goin to have the diffs done this time. Every 15K on diffs for a truck which does not tow is WAY overkill.

Quick Reply: $850 for 30K dealer service !!! Phoenix alternative, etc.