3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Would like some advice on which engine to buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Would like some advice on which engine to buy

Am a newbie to the forum and to the world of diesels.

Looking for our first diesel now. Have some towing to do, but not much.

Have had Dodge trucks in the past and have decided to buy a used Dodge diesel.

I am looking for a manual tranny quad cab with 50-75K miles and I am trying to weigh the 6.7 vs the 5.9.

Would like to get opinions on which would be the best in terms of overall reliability, length of service, least maintenance, etc. and the which has the best fuel mileage.

I know the 6.7 has more power, but I think either will have more than enough power for my needs.

Would really appreciate several folks giving me what they actually see in terms of mileage, especially for comparison of 4x4 vs 4x2.

Would also like any advice on what to look for or stay away from in a used diesel.

I know that this is probably more than most folks want to go into in a post, but any info you would give me would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 PM

MW... You're asking question which is on par with "Which of your four children do you like the best?
Let me help you a little.... 5.9s have a reputation of as near as bullet proof as you can get. Yes they can break, and do, but in most cases it is because they have been leaned on. They have good power and are better with fuel mileage than the 6.7. But the 6.7 has a little more power than the 5.9 (assuming that both are stock) and the 6.7 is much quieter. Both will tow more than you will hook to it and do so with grace. A 5.9 will be a little cheaper on the resale market. The 6.7 has additional smog equipment that has proven to be troublesome with issues that the dealer was unable to remedy. My friend eliminated the problem, and since that has been very happy with his 6.7.

2 wheel drive VRS 4 wheel drive
Consider these factors when making a choice......
1. 4WD is more expensive to insure...
2. 4WD has a much more troublesome front end (tie rods /balljoints/U joints /Steering boxes)
3. 4WD weigh more
4. 4WD does not get as good mileage
5. 4WD maintenance is higher
6. More costly to repair.

All that said, it all depends what you are going to use it for. What is the weather pattern in you home area, what percentage of your driving is going to be off road, what are your mechanical skills... And most of all what are your driving skills. I have seen a 2WD with a Locked rear end embarass a group of 4WD trucks, because he knew how to drive off road.

What to look for...
1. Does the general apperance tell you this truck was cared for, if he is not going to wash and take good care of the outside, most likely he wont change the oil on a regular basis.
2. Does this truck have a 5th wheel hitch or gooseneck hitch. May be an indicator of a truck used to haul heavy loads
3. Age of the owner you are buying if from. Younger buyers may be a little harder on the equipment.
4. Look for indications of a programer. May indicate this has been hot rodded.
5. Look for aftermarket parts. Replacement because it needed or because it added value for safety (exhaust brake, bigger brakes,)
6. Get a feel from the seller, do you get good vibes that this is a guy you can trust or is he a flake. Does he seem passionate about his truck?

The above are generalities and certainly do not apply to all, but these are the things to consider when buying a used truck.

What equipment / Color are you looking for... it may be available only in a newer vehicle and that would be a 6.7.

If I have shed light on anything in this reponse, it is that there are many choices and you need to look at them all and pick your priorities and move that direction.
I know many people on this site and to a one, if you reach out to them in your area, most would be happy to assist you to look at a truck you're thinking of and give you their informed opinion.
There are a lot of very smart people who post here with a wealth of knowlege and experience, and if nothing else, start reading the posts here on most any subject and I believe that it will help you come to an informed decision that will best fit your needs.

Good luck and welcome to the diesel world (in advance)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM

What MrB says pretty well covers it. But my 2 cents worth is for what you indicated in your post the 5.9 would be my choice. My 03 is the child I like the most but you will get many other openions.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:53 AM

I have a 2007 5.9 4wd automatic. I get 20 or so running empty, 17-18 around town, and 13-15 towing 6500 lbs. had to do ball joints and u joints at 75000.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going off road and have snow the 4x4 is the only way to go!! WHY Well the 5/9 or 6/7 is a very heavy engine! IT also it can act like a extra low gear in all gears if you ever need to move something slow are need the extra powder. It is up to you. All the front end in the diesel engine trucks go bad from the weight. == GOOD LUCK ==
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vowed years ago that I would never again have a two-wheel-drive truck. I don't always need 4WD, and I seldom really need a 3500 DRW. But in the past I have cussed myself for not having enough truck (bed too short, won't handle the weight, stuck in the sand), but I have never yet been bothered in the least by having too much truck. I think it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. I just hate being the one waiting for someone to come along and pull me out of the muck.

The 2005 5.9 was the highest output for that engine at 325hp. I have been told it was the best of the 5.9s. I'm sure pleased with mine.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

2005 3500 got ONE YES
Old 09-18-2011, 07:25 PM

I have a 2005 4x4 quad cab auto that has 112,000 miles on it and besides two air conditioning compressors I haven't had a thing go wrong with it. I love this truck and I'm going to drive it until it falls apart. I don't want the emmissions crap the 6.7 has.

My buddy has 2008 4x4 quad cab auto 6.7 that is almost the same truck just with the 6.7 and even has the same color as I do. He's had to get a new turbo, and has had several other issues with the emission control system.

So far I added a ranch hand bull nose bumper, front steering stabilizer, changed the sway bar end links, front brake pads at 100k, changed the water pump before it failed at 100k, and added an oil guard bypass system. I have towed about 35k on this truck with multiple trailers averaging about 13-14k at 65mph and get about 16-17 in the city.

Overall I am very pleased with my truck and if given a choice between the 5.9 and 6.7 I would choose a 5.9 without hesitation. The only difference is I would get a manual transmission this time around.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FLMarine
Overall I am very pleased with my truck and if given a choice between the 5.9 and 6.7 I would choose a 5.9 without hesitation. The only difference is I would get a manual transmission this time around.
Yeah, baby! Not so much fun in traffic, though. Left leg gets a good workout. I sure like it for towing, though. When I was shopping, I had a short-lived thought that I might like an auto, even though I have always preferred a man truck...er, I mean a manual transmission, but every truck ad I saw for an auto indicated either "trans is good" or "recently replaced" or "recently rebuilt". All of those things tell me the auto trans is the weak link with these trucks. See if you can find an ad for a manual trans truck that says anything about the transmission, other than the fact that it is a manual. Yep. Hard to find one. That's because the manual transmission in these trucks (at least the NV5600, anyway) is rock solid and hardly ever breaks.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Got one of the last 5.9 manual trany trucks made trans is great just have
to upgrade clutch when power goes
up even the least bit. Never had any problems with the engine the electronics are a little ageraviting
Old 09-20-2011, 05:30 PM

Dont listen those 05 guys, the 06 is better, hahaha I live up close to the bottom end of Alaska and I have a 2 wheeler and just love it, better mileage, not near the front end problems, and I tow a 5th wheel close to 36 ft, 5.9 motor and love it, I have close to 100k and the auto trany has worked just great, has been full serviced twice now and looks and shifts like brand new, just make sure what ever you get, do the maintanence on it what the book says. If I was looking for a 6.7 I would go to maybe an 09, 07.5 and some 08`s had some emission problems, good luck
Old 09-20-2011, 05:54 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The main reason to get the 6.7 is for the 6-speed auto, but since you're looking for a bolt-action then by all means go with the 5.9
Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 PM

I have been very happy with my 2006 5.9 2500. I was on the fence about a 6.7 and a manual trans. The 6.7's were still being sorted out, so I went with the proven 5.9. Commuting daily in stop and go traffic dictated the auto trans, no issues so far at 55K miles but I drive it reasonably. I was also on the fence about 4x2 or 4x4. I figured I'd be keeping the truck for a decade or so, and if I relocated back to the mountains I would kick myself for not having the 4x4. I found both a 2005 and 2006 that would suit my needs, I preferred the interior on the 2006+ models better so it was an easy choice.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:21 AM

If you would like an auto go with an 09 up a lot better they do have a very good auto trans in them. If I buy a new one it will be the auto.