2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Windshield Wipers Electronics

Old 01-27-2012, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Windshield Wipers Electronics

Dear Fellow List Members,

Long time lurker, first time posting.

I seem to have the common problem of my wiper not working correct, and this is pretty frustrating in rainy Vancouver, BC.

>> SYMPTOMS <<
-no intermittent wipers, just one first wipe in any intermittent setting
-no LOW wipers, the blades will just park when ever the switch is turned to low
-only HIGH wipers work right now (better than nothing!)

>SOLUTION< (or things I have done)
-tried a new Central Timing Module (CTM) or also called a Pulse Intermittent Wipe Control, this is the little black box that is underneath the dash on the right side of the steering column. For reference there are the following part numbers written on the one I have:
Part #: 4503-104, 07807, and 3143

The "new" one that I have tried is from the wrecker, so this may also be a failed CTM.

-replaced the Multi-Function switch on the steering column. No change in the problem

-replaced the windshield wiper motor with a new unit, and this is where it got a bit weird. With the old motor I only had LOW wipers. With the new motor I only have HIGH wipers. What?! I need to double check that there is not some spray paint on the contact terminals on the motor, as this may be causing a lack of continuity.

>QUESTIONS<
-Where can I get a 'new' CTM that I know I can trust will work? You can't buy these from the dodge dealership, and you can't buy these from most parts supply stores...

-Where can I get a 'good' wiring diagram? specific to a 1997 Ram Diesel I really need to figure this out.

Any help would be great!
Cheers,

Sean.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FSM from Geno's on CD.

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo....mber=DFSM97_CD
Old 01-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlJensen
X2, the cheapest, best investment I ever made. Keep the original CD fro a backup after you load it on your hard drive of you computer, I also saved it to the flash card on my phone and to a USB stick I keep in the truck, that way I have it while on the road............
Old 01-28-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Usually its the motor on the wiper assembly that goes tu, at least mine did. I know many have replaced the MFS with good results.

I'd recheck my work before buying more parts.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
>>UPDATE<<

The final solution to make my windshield wipers work on all settings (INT, LOW, and HIGH) was to change out the Multi-function switch. The first NEW switch that I had purchased from Lordco (BC based auto-parts store) was defective from the get-go right out of the bubble wrap.

I had used a digital multimeter to check the switch operation, but I guess I missed this.

So, new switch to replace the other new switch and everything works great. By-the-way, I have a working replacement Central Timing Module if anybody needs to buy one. Make me and offer and it's yours.

Cheers,
Sean.