2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Windshield Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield Wipers

The wipers quit working on my 2001 Ram 2500 over the weekend. The relay under the hood is clicking when the wiper switch is on. I brought the relay in to my shop at work this morning and it appears to be working normally. I do not think it is the motor, because while trying to check it out on Saturday I left the switch in the on possition when I truned the key on next time the wipers made 1 pass then stoped. I have not been able to make them do that anymore.<br> It is susposed to rain here tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? ???
Old 02-03-2003, 08:40 AM

Re:Windshield Wipers

It sounds like to me that it could be in the intermitant wiper control. That's where I'd start. Just a suggestion!<br> ??? ???<br><br>Grampaw
Old 02-05-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

I had the same problem once. (98.5) The wiper motor gasket was collapsed and the motor had filled with water. I removed the wiper assembly, removed the cup with the magnets and cleaned all the contacts inside. No more problems. <br>You can also replace the wiper motor brushes if needed.<br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM<br>
Old 02-05-2003, 10:53 AM

I checked out the usual things, fuse and relay. I went to the dealer to get a wiper delay module. They said there is a module that controls several things including the wipers. They said the switch gives more trouble than the module, so I decided to try a switch. When I started to change it I discovered that I needed a torx screwdriver, so I went to Lowe's and bought a set. I took the cover off and discovered that the switch is held on by 2 tamperproof or security torx screws, I did not have a screwdriver for that. I found a set on the internet and ordered them. <br>This morning I started the truck and the wipers started working again. The only thing I did yesterday was wash the truck. I do not have any idea what happened.<br>They will probaly stop working again at the worse possible time, in the middle of a rain storm.<br><br>Bill
Old 02-10-2003, 04:10 PM

check to see if motor is grounded,had this happen on a couple of vehicles over the years,and that was all that was wrong.Just take a heavy guage wire and ground the motor case to a good ground source, the only problem is that it should be done when the wipers are not working.The both times it worked for me i saw a spark as soon as the ground was complete and the wipers started working. Hope this helps.<br> I am a nubie here and this is my first post so please bear with me if i made any boo boo's