2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Where to go Where to go??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where to go Where to go??

Greetings!
Man.. It's been a while since I've been a rank newbie on a message forum.

I've been looking around for a place that has a good stock of information on what to look for when buying a used (2nd gen) Dodge diesel truck. I've read specs, I've read Edmunds.
What I want is what to look for? I've never owned a diesel before but am ready to make the plunge.
I currently drive a 1999 Ford Expedition XLT. While I like it a lot, I need a truck and I am sick of wimpy V8's and powerful V8's that get 3.5 mpg.
Before I bought the Expy in 2001, I was looking at going Dodge diesel when my wife drove her brothers new Expedition and liked it. Of course, once I bought one, she drove it and didn't like it - (big sigh).
So, I am looking for a 2001 (for price) 2500 Cummins 4wd (for obvious reasons) long bed extended cab. When I find one, what do I look for?
What goes wrong? Where are the weak points?

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2004, 01:51 PM

Hello and welcome to the forums! I think you will find a wealth of information here and an overall friendly sight. I would think that the most important things to look for on a 2nd Gen would be the death wobble and the lift pump. Do a search for them and you will know what I am talking about. I am sure others will chime in with their opinions as well.
Mishkaya
Old 08-18-2004, 01:57 PM

Use the search method to look around at the problems that get pointed out to you. Also if you look any earlier than 2000, read about the KDP. Welcome aboard this site is great and you will hear about stuff that you never heard of before.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:00 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Welcome to DTR xp8103!
Were glad to have you and hope you enjoy your stay. There's a lot of good folks here with great information.

mishkaya is correct, use this sites "Search" function on "Lift Pump" and you will see a lot of information.
The auto transmissions are also known to be a problem. Again, using this sites Search function, you can see all kinds of discussions about trans issues and upgrades.

These are some great trucks. With just a little bit of care, they will go a long way.

Good luck with your hunt for a truck.

Rich.
Old 08-18-2004, 02:24 PM

Man... 1753 hits on "Lift Pump". Ok. I get the death wobble. The fix seems straight forward and Lukes Links looks like the winner.
The lift pump (VP44 - a part number or something?) thing bothers me since no one has said, like the track bar fix, "Here, this aftermarket pump takes care of the problems. At what point does this problem show itself? 50k miles? 75k? Every 10k?
Where is the pump and how much trouble is it to replace?

Auto transmission problems too? EEEK! I have seen that Dodge has capped the output for the auto trans models. What should I be looking for here?

Edited by Admin
Old 08-18-2004, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Dont let either of these taint the image of Cummins or Dodge.
Both can be monitored thus reducing the risk of failure.

The lift pump is not the same as the VP44. The lift pump is just an electric fuel pump to get the fuel from the tank to the injection pump.
The injection pump is the VP44.
There are three pump styles on the Cummins engines. (For our trucks).
1st gen trucks = 1989 - 1993 and had a rotary injection pump. (Mechanical fuel pump).
2nd gen trucks that are 12 valve = 1994 -1998.5 and had an inline mechanical injection pump called P700 (Mechanical fuel pump).
2nd gen trucks that are 24 valve = 1998.5 - 2003 (Either 2002 or 3, not sure exactly). These 24 valve engines had the computer controlled VP44 injection pump. (Electric fuel pump "lift pump")
3rd gen = 2003 to current and have a computer controlled multi-shot style injection system.

It seems the problem is the lift pump gets weak and does not provide adequate pressure. This low pressure seems to cause the VP44 to go out.
There are different aftermarket systems to replace the stock lift pump. One easy way to reduce the low fuel pressure risk is to simply keep an eye on the fuel pressure. Check the Performance sections for gauges and mounting options for fuel pressure gauges.

As far as the transmissions, if you leave the truck stock and dont tow real heavy, the stock trans will last. If you go with performance mods and/or you tow heavy, then the stock trans will take a beating and let out pretty quick.
There are aftermarket upgrade options for this as well.
Again, get some good gauges to watch the trans temp, this will help.

I dont know the last year the KDP was an issue.

Hope this helps.
Rich
Old 08-18-2004, 05:13 PM

If I am not mistaken as of 2001 KDP was no longer an issue.
Mishkaya
Old 08-18-2004, 05:15 PM

I almost forgot about the infamous #53 block, although I am not sure for which years this applies.
Mishkaya
Old 08-18-2004, 05:19 PM
Administrator

We're going to scare him away!

Rich
Old 08-18-2004, 05:30 PM

KDP does not apply to 2001. I don't THINK the 53 block does either. If I had it to do over again, I would get a 2001.5 or newer to get the four wheel disc brakes, and get a 6 speed. The autos are a known weak spot even though there are many that never have any problems, but the 6 speed is almost bulletproof. Also, any of the 2001.5's or 2002's with six speeds also denotes that it is an HO (High Output). The HO's had higher horsepower and torque and were only available as six speeds. If you are stuck on an auto, just make sure you have some money left over for POSSIBLE tranny upgrades.

The six speed is also more mod friendly than the auto. If you hang around here for awhile, you WILL be adding some power, and the 6 speed can take quite a bit before mods on it are necessary.

After you find the truck, have the lift pump pressure tested and make sure it is no lower that 10 psi at any time (idle, cruise, or WOT). If it is low, bargain to have it replaced. Then get yourself a good set of gauges so you can properly monitor your new baby.

Welcome to DTR! Ask alot of questions.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:39 AM

What does a lift pump replacement go for?
Old 08-19-2004, 07:24 AM

The part is around $100. I think an hour of labor would be fair.
Old 08-19-2004, 07:57 AM

OK. Man, thanks for the help!

So the auto transmissions are not hte best. That concerns me just a little. First because it's basically the same trans that Dodge has been using in this truck for more than a DECADE and any bugs should have been worked out by now.
My plan for the truck is the beef up the suspension (airbags probably) and put a slide in camper in it to do some camping. I have no serious off road plans save for maybe the occasional beach camping excursion.
What sort of upgrades are needed to the trans to make it durable?
Old 08-19-2004, 08:22 AM

ok after reading this post i will tell you i bought my truck last year with 61,000 on the odometer and it now has 91,000 lots of east coast driving. see me sig . lift pump was my only prob now monitored with guages. tranny thumps when it shifts never had a problem with it. although i will put a shift kit in it before i do and the replace the torque converter. these truck have minor issues really in comparisson to furds and chevys . and the best thing is they will outlast any other truck as well as out perform . thought i would give you some good news

all makes and models have there issues just need to find out what and tend to them or monitor them . Dodge is the only way to go cummins is the ONLY proven motor in pickup trucks that will go 1 million miles.

hope this helps
Old 08-19-2004, 08:35 AM

Floorman,
It certainly doens't hurt!

I am well familiar with other issues on other makes. I will report tho that my Expedition has been relatively non-wear-item maintenance free for the most part. I had a cracked pass-side exhaust manifold last year and my MAS was also replaced. The rest of the stuff - ball joints, brakes, seals, have been replaced and thats about it.
But knowing that every makes has them, my main concern was to find out where the Dodge's weaknesses are before I buy. Lift pump. Death Wobble. Transmission.
Reading of all of the problem Ford's been having of late with it's newer diesels I defeinietly wanted to shy away from them. Cummins has been in the diesel business since dirt was new and the 5.9l in the Dodge is a nice mature platform.

As an aside, we just got back from two weeks on the outer banks, specifically Portsmouth Island camping with friends. It was quite the surreal experience. Totally beautiful. Our camping companions both had diesel 3/4ton, a 93 GMC and a 96 F250, both with slide-in campers. We managed just fine with the Expedition pulling our popup camper. But popping up on the island is not the ultimate. And my wife and I realized the conveneinces of a silde in (and I've always wanted a Dodge diesel!)