2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

what do shocks do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do shocks do?

OK yesterday I posted about needing to smooth out my ride and after the replies I received I spent a good deal of time reading back post about shocks. My questions are this:
When every one says that the new shocks are stiff... Stiff how? does that mean that your ride is rougher/more abusive to you now with whatever new shock you installed.

I've been in old cars and trucks that could cause seasickness - that means they needed new shocks right?

I don't have that issue with my truck, she’s rock solid when empty (too rock solid on the straight away and a tad mushy around the corners) and I do not haul/carry often.

I guess I'm really looking for an explanation of what the shocks are supposed to be doing?
Old 07-18-2004, 08:47 AM

The shocks are dampeners. They stop the truck from bouncing, rolling, swerving when it encounters an obstacle (bump) on the road.

The shocks also help to keep the suspension from giggling about under normal conditions.

Stiff shocks don't allow the truck and suspension to separate far, and pull them back together soon.

Sorry for the silly explanation.
Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"giggling". Good one Smokee

You coming to the Claremont meeting this weekend?
Old 07-18-2004, 02:21 PM

I would love to come to a meet,Joel, but my truck is once again undergoing transmission problems. I seem to be able to fry the front and OD clutches at will. I am seriously thinking of getting a DTT tranny unless the tech can find out what is wrong with mine. Everything looks normal...I think there must be an internal leak or something.

Do you have your truck back yet?
Old 07-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[i]Do you have your truck back yet? [/B]

I can only wish.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 PM

Smokee hit it right on the head there, in the most simplist explaination. The stiffer the ride, the less travel of any suspension part. Some people like a stiff suspension, like most ctd owners, but some don't, like duramax owners. Chevy owners like the softer suspension because they say it rides smoother, which I guess it does, but ctd owners can back it up by saying, my suspension needs less travel and doesn't roll all over the road. All and all, its all about personal preference.