2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Warning Chimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning Chimes

Ok, here's the deal: I'M SICK OF HEARING WARNING CHIMES! It's mostly irritating when I want to have the doors open to listen to the stereo with the key in the switch. When driving, I can clearly see the idiot lights if they go on, and don't need am alarm as well. Does anybody know how I could deactivate the chimes? I looked around under the dash and thought I could feel what may have been the source, but am not sure. I would be forever grateful......

p.s. No, I don't drive with the doors open listening to the stereo! ;D

Old 10-12-2002, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Warning Chimes

For your own safety, I don't feel it appropriate for anyone to give out this information. Those chimes are there for a REASON! <br><br>Just kidding. <br><br>Under the dash, there is a large (I believe 25 pin) plug. At least there is in mine. When I unplug it, the chimes go away, but I also lose intermittent wiper function and some other things. The key is to find exactly what wires they are, and cut the darn things. Something I haven't done yet but I would bet someone has. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2002, 10:40 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Look here, hope this helps.

From &quot;another site&quot;

I don't know if you care about the chime working if you leave the headlights on or not, but here is how to just disable it from going on if the key is in the ignition w/ the door open:

just take the plastic shrouds off the steering column. You'll see a little black two wire harness that connects to the ignition. Unhook the connector. This will keep the buzzer from going on when the key is in acc or you have the door open, but it will still sound if you have left your lights on or low fuel, etc.

Mike

Old 10-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Ken

In my old 96 1500, I had removed a box that was roughly the size of a circut breaker from under the dash and that stoped the door ajar and head light on warning chime. The only problem was when I went to put it back in, I couldn't seem to remember where it went. Too many Vodka clubs that night, I guess ! Anywho everything else worked fine. My new 02 2500 the chime stops on it's own after a few minutes
Old 10-12-2002, 01:34 PM

Good suggestions all, but I don't want to get rid of one chime and disable other systems. Just want to eliminate chiming all together. The oil pressure save from the other board has got me squirming though. If anybody else has the cure please chime in. ;D HAHAHAHA Oh yeah, he's still got it!
Old 10-12-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a drill and drilled out the speaker on the black box everything works but the chimes ;D. So you can try that.
Old 10-12-2002, 03:47 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Chimes?... Ding fries are done, want an apple pie wit dat?<br><br>dang bells will drive you crazy!
Old 10-12-2002, 05:11 PM

anybody know what fuse it is for the low fuel indicator/chime?
Old 10-12-2002, 08:27 PM

I took the little black box from under the dash ( mine was mounted to the right of the steering col.) I opened it up and tristed the round black buzzer til it broke off the board, I then reassembled the box and put it back. No more Chime.<br>Chuck
Old 10-12-2002, 08:45 PM

Most excellent! The black box will be coming out tomorrow morning and the chimer will be radically silenced. I can already hear the blissful sounds of silence. Not to be confused with the lovely tunes provided by my loving, loud, Cummins Turbo Diesel and my ZZ Top CDs.