2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck sucks in the snow!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck sucks in the snow!!

&gt; :-X<br><br>My truck does alright with 6&quot; of snow on the ground but with a foot and a half, it just doesn't want to move!! The really irritating thing is that the rearend starts to bounce around very badly everytime you get some momentum up. You instinctively let off the accelerator because it feels like you will break something if you keep going. It took me 7 tries the other night to get from the corner to my driveway which is only 40 yards at most. Granted, it is slightly uphill, but I thought I was gonna have to get out and dig her out. This morning it was the same thing, only I was going downhill. I was completely sideways. There were cars going down the street with less trouble than me. It seems to go pretty well backwards but forwards sucks. Well, I showed up for work today and put a skid with 1000 lb of paper bundles right over the rear axle!! Hopefully that helps.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:23 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Truck sucks in the snow!!

Weight is the answer. ;D
1000+lbs in the bed will give you the traction you need.
Especially with a dually.
Remember each rear tire is only carrying 1/4 of the weight with &quot;Training Wheels&quot;.
That's why I leave my 2WD Dually at home and drive Wifey's 'Cruiser when it gets nasty.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:50 AM

Is it possible to remove one wheel on each side for winter driving? My 2500 has performed outstandingly well thru 80&quot; of winter so far.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:12 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

Dodgezilla:<br>I assume you tried in 4wd- sometimes this bucking comes from the difference of front and rear wheel tire size, or because the &quot;light&quot; rear wheels will want to float up in the snow. When there is traction the drivetrain will wrap. <br>First thing to try is weight. And check for tire inflation. <br><br>HTH<br><br>AlpineRAM
Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 AM

Mine sucks when i'm in 2WD. It slides all over the place and barely wants to go anywhere. Once I put it in 4WD, I have no problems at all. Drives great! ;D<br><br>Tony
Old 02-18-2003, 09:54 AM

Removing one tire on each side will help a little, but unlike a 2500 or SRW 3500, your wheels/tires don't run in the same track, even if you remove one.
Kind like this:
= -
= -
Old 02-18-2003, 10:36 AM
Banned

What's snow?
Old 02-18-2003, 11:07 AM

Hey BigBlue.................THHHHHHBBBBBBBBBBBBB
Old 02-18-2003, 11:35 AM

The hopping of the rear end sounds like the anti-spin working. That's what mine does in snow, and it tends to pull me sideways unless 4WD is engaged. I run with 750# of tube sand in the bed during winter on SRW.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is nearly worthless in the snow even with 1200 pounds of wheel weights over the rear axle. My Neon goes better in the snow that my truck does. It is sitting in the car port plugged in and I am driving the wifes all wheel drive Subaru while this stuff is on the ground.
I got stuck on level ground week before last when I went up to the fire hall to talk to those people. I had backed the rear axle off the hard surface onto the grass and it wouldn't come back off the grass even on the level. I had to put it in 4WD to move it six feet back onto the hard surface. That was embarrasing. I don't know if more aggressive tires would help or not but for now, I keep it on the hard surfaces.
I went to back it out of the car port last night to knock some ice off of it where I had taken it to Petersburg the night before to get kerosene. It wouldn't even back out of the car port, I had to put it in 4WD.
Now if you want to talk pulling on the bare road, look out. I can pull 26000 pounds 70 MPH or more with no problems. I was thinking about finding another set of wheels and putting some really nasty winter type treads on that set just for winter use. The problem is around here, I can't really justify the cost cause it only snows like this about once every three years and I'm not about to take this thing off roading anyway. Maybe one day I'll run across a good deal on wheels. Till then, I just drive something else and let her set in the port hooked to the 110 volt IV.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:06 PM

I had mine out this weekend. I would much rather drive my wifes jeep. That liberty will go anywhere ;D
Old 02-18-2003, 12:17 PM

welcome to the world of a 7500 lb truck ...........they suck in snow compared to a lighter vehicle<br><br>my 01 1500 would walk circles around my current truck in the deep snow .......but oh well it was no where near as fun to drive as this one
Old 02-18-2003, 12:29 PM

I plow with my truck and i seem to do just fine as long as i throw 1000lbs or so of ballast weight in the back. Another thing the type of tires you have make all the difference in the world, i had some non agressive tires on mine and it did ok, but since it never seems to stop snowing here and my tires were pretty well gone i threw some fairly aggressive tires on it and now i can't stop the thing. To all the New Englanders happy snow day ;D
Old 02-18-2003, 12:38 PM

[quote author=Ascraeus link=board=5;threadid=11100;start=0#106083 date=1045592841]<br>I don't understand all of this. It's not that I don't believe any of you, but I just don't have these problems. I've got an '02 3500 dually 4x4 with limited slip and big knobby tires, and no load in the back. I get everywhere I want to go, including today, uphill through 22 inches of unplowed snow with crust on the top. Much better than the Cherokee I used to own. The vehicle has never so much as &quot;slipped&quot;, even on snow-covered ice. <br><br>I'm not lying, and I don't believe any of you are, so what's going on? <br>[/quote]<br><br><br>That says it all.

Quick Reply: Truck sucks in the snow!!