2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck sucks in the snow!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Truck sucks in the snow!!

I also had no problems in this big snow we just had, no weight in the bed except for the snow that fell into it. I was driving through even the deepest spots until I hit a 4' drift, Then I had to dig out the wheels where they iced up and I was on my way....I love the snow..
Old 02-18-2003, 02:02 PM

My 2wd Will not move in 2cm of snow its pretty bad and its not intended to. Now I used to plow with my 99 3500 and I could plow up to about 8" of snow with no weight in back and in 2wd no prob if the snow was sticky then I needed 4wd. A really good tire to recommend for ice/snow is COOPER tires they work really well my pops runs em on his truck with no worries at all he has a dmax 3500 auto and tows a 26' pace trailer in 2wd most of the time in snowy conditions.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:07 PM

[quote author=Ascraeus link=board=5;threadid=11100;start=0#106083 date=1045592841]<br>I don't understand all of this. It's not that I don't believe any of you, but I just don't have these problems. I've got an '02 3500 dually 4x4 with limited slip and big knobby tires, and no load in the back. I get everywhere I want to go, including today, uphill through 22 inches of unplowed snow with crust on the top. Much better than the Cherokee I used to own. The vehicle has never so much as &quot;slipped&quot;, even on snow-covered ice. <br><br>I'm not lying, and I don't believe any of you are, so what's going on? <br>[/quote]<br><br><br>I'm not saying I don't get around, I have knobby tires too, and the LSD, but my 1500 short box reg cab would go through way more stuff than my current truck will<br><br>alot has to do with tires and driving tequnique<br><br> also my friend had a 94 CTD and he ran 305/70-16's (33x12.50's) and he got a round in deep snow MUCH better than I do with my stock hieght 245/75-16's so larger tires will help a lot too ...........( I think a leveling kit and 315's might be my next mod)
Old 02-18-2003, 03:34 PM

I am stuck now too!!!!! I am plowed in. In the front,in the back,and on the sides. I actually like driving my 2wd in the snow. It has limited slip so I actually do not do too bad. Well with 20some inches the wifes Pathfinder is gettimg me around. Fun vehicle to drive int he snow. My dad's(Commotoze) 02 4x4 just laughs at this stuff 8) I coudn't beleive it. UHH if only I hd more money at the time of purchase! :'(
Old 02-18-2003, 03:51 PM

Guess that I agree with Ascraeus. I have been driving my dually 2wd in the snow for 8 years now, and I have only been stuck two or three times, and those were always at the end of my drive where the snow plow left a pile.<br>This is the first year that I have had even M/S tires on the rear. Before, I had only ASR.<br>george
Old 02-18-2003, 04:32 PM

Add some weight over the rear axle, temporarily air down a bit, (limit top speed), and install some tires w/ tread .
You'll do just fine.

I know you all are having a tough time of it in the snow back there, and I hope everyone's making out OK, but I sure wish we'd get a good load once in a while. Just nothing higher than the front flat fenders on my Jeep! ;D
Old 02-18-2003, 05:00 PM

Been runnin around in 18&quot; for 2 days now, I go thru it like butter. 4:10's and stock LTX's
Old 02-18-2003, 06:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2500, with street tires, sucks on wet grass, so it definitely doesn't go out in the snow. The problem is the tires.<br>If your looking for better tires, you do want more aggressive tread, but not self-cleaning tires, as snow against snow equals better traction than rubber against snow.<br><br>Below is what's on my F150, and they do very well, no weight of any kind in the back. ;D I used to have 39.5&quot; Super Swampers on it in the summer, and they suck in the snow because they are self cleaning. I kept these tires just to run in the winter.<br>Obviously tires this size aren't feasible for a dually, but more agressive tread is available in sizes that will fit a dually.<br><br><br><br><br><br>Chris
Old 02-18-2003, 07:27 PM
ejb

I would think that the motor is making these things pretty front end heavy.Mine goes great in 4wd,but you better be paying attention in 2wd because one minute your going strait down the road and the next you're going sideways!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:05 AM

I built a box out of plywood and 2 by 6's. It measures 4 by 8 I put sand bags in the box about 1000 pounds. Last week I put a volvo diesel on top of the box and took it to Anchorage for repairs. I had great trackon in 2 wheel drive. Drove 860 miles in two days. Ice and snow no problem. Weight and good snow tires works for me.
Old 02-19-2003, 02:05 AM

Mine does not get around as good as the 99 2500 I had in the snow. But I bought the truck to drive and with the automatic hubs it no trouble. Besides when it gets real deep I drive around with the tow rope and two sets of chains and pull people out. Have not had to use the chain this year yet. You go bumper to bumper and hit the end of the strap you can yank about anything out.<br><br> Scooter
Old 02-19-2003, 03:05 AM

Mine is pretty much unstopable in the snow. But I think it has something to do with the 33x12.50 BFG Mt Km's. With the stock tires it wasn't all that great, but once I slapped on my first set of BFG's it all changed. 8)

You know if you didn't have those training wheels you'd be a lot better off.

Here is a pic of the tires on my truck, here's another one. (sorry those are the only ones I've got on the web )

DB
Old 02-19-2003, 05:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight is definitely the answer for these trucks. <br>I noticed a big difference when I put my 100 gallon transfer tank in. When it's full of fuel this adds about 1000 pounds.<br>fuel weighs about 7-8 lbs/gal. plus weight of tank, pump.<br>Tool box has about another 300+ pounds of tools.<br>Plus whatever finds its way into the back of the truck at the time.<br>Just enough weight to make it ride nice!<br>Had no problems in this 18+ inch storm.<br>Just remember that because you can go anywhere, doesn't mean you can stop all that weight any faster.<br><br>Drive Safe<br><br>Rich
Old 02-19-2003, 06:55 AM

I want to get some aggressive tires but what's on there now has way too much tread to replace. I do, however, like the idea of getting another set of wheels and putting some super knobby tires on them just for this type of occasion. The truck does fine in less snow but this 18&quot; was just too much. By the way, I had a 92 2500 with 33&quot;x 12.5&quot; tires on it and it never got stuck in the snow but always got stuck in the mud!!! <br><br>And I do know how to drive...........
Old 02-19-2003, 09:54 AM

I live up here in Canada. We know snow, lots of it. <br>You must have a 4X4 if you're in real snow. 2 or 3 inches is not snow. A foot is a true snowfall .<br>Good tires: need I say more? I've spent 300$+CDN per tire , cuz It's the first thing between you and the road<br>Weight: Your truck's gonna slide if there's no traction/friction to the ground surface. I've put 500-750 lbs of shingles and sandbags in the back ;D.<br>Obviously, a dually will be more apt to slide, cuz weight is distributed over a greater area.<br><br>That's my 5 cents. And that's about all I have in my account .<br><br> <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Quick Reply: Truck sucks in the snow!!