2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Truck sucks in the snow!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Truck sucks in the snow!!

What?? Check this out and it is the truth!<br>Our local four wheel drive club, the Baltimore 4 Wheeler, Inc. had its annual Valentine's Day Weekend Snow Run in Garrett County, in far Western Maryland.<br>I flat towed my `79 CJ7, that has 33&quot; Armstrongs on it and has that heavy model T18A transmission in it.<br>We took turns busting through snow on the trails the was as much as waist deep in spots. It was slow going, but fun. We also had to deal with a lot of downed trees from an earlier severe ice storm.<br>It snowed all weekend. When I woke up Sunday morning, it was reall putting it down. I got ready, hurried up the family. Loaded the truck and hooked the Jeep up to the truck. Checked out and fueled up.<br>Keep in mind, flat towing adds no weight to the rear of the truck.<br>I drove that truck 200 miles with that Jeep behind it in 4 wheel drive on snow covered interstate. While I could not go fast and shouldn't anyway. It did quite well. Even with the lousy Dunlops that came on that truck, from the previous owner. Dunlop makes an okay tire. But, not this series. They suck in the snow. Still, all went fine. <br>We saw a lot of spin outs and ditched vehicles. A friend of mine did 3 360's while towing his Jeep on a trailer behind his 4x4 Dakota. Only damage was to his wiring harness on his trailer.<br>I went straight to work and disconnected the Jeep. To my amazment, the old Jeep started right up. Even packed with snow under the hood.<br>Then my wife drove home from there in the truck. She had to take two wacks at getting up our street on the hill. She did it and was the first up our street. <br>My tire size is 285 x 16. That does not hurt. <br>Still she says her Cherokee does a lot better. It has 31&quot; KO series BFG All terrains on it. That Little Cherokee goes anywhere you point it.<br>The truck will do great. But, you duelly set up is hurting you. Very little weight per sq. inch on the back.<br>Consider a much better tread design. BFG, Cooper and others make good designs for that type of driving.<br>The tire should be siped. A combination tread often works best. Some tighter tread with some wider voids. That will get you through a wider range of snow types.<br>If you have a standard shift. When you put it into gear and it just spins. Try a different gear. &quot;Usually&quot; a higher gear if you engine can handle it. Try starting out in say, 3rd gear.<br>Try various gears. Even low range, in some types of snow. <br>This past weekend was the first time that I did most of my wheeling in high range, though. It worked, except on one real steep hill, where I used 3rd low. 2nd high was too high.<br>Unless you are high centered, when you hang, try working your steering wheel back and forth. This will cause your front tires to dig. You do not need or want real fast tire spin. But, a fair amount may be necessary. You need not baby it.<br>Rocking can get you out. But, be real careful. A lot of crap is broken that way.<br>If you are making your way through real deep snow and your truck stops moving. STOP, back up a bit. Go forward until it stops again. Avoid spinning if it stops, as you will go down and that is not good, more often than not. This is for when you are breaking through fresh, deep snow. <br>Otherwise, the turning the wheel back and forth often works great. If you have crappy tread, that often does not help that much.<br>Steady throttle is key as well. Pumping the peddle will just get you stuck faster as it will help to cause you to &quot;break loose.&quot;<br>By the way, we ened up with just under 30&quot; here in Baltimore. Garrett County ended up with over 50&quot; additional snow to the 2'to 3' already there. They had 30 foot plus drifts. I got out of there, just in time.<br>Now, they are calling for heavy rain this Saturday.<br>Pickups are typically great snow runners. But, can do well if driven right and equiped correctly. Yes, loading can help, for sure.<br>I have no complaints. Remember, CTD's are extremely torquey. That can work against you in the snow, at times.<br>Limited slip rears can make it hard to maintain control. Especially if the road has any off camber. Back off of the throttle while in turns, or the truck will go straight.<br>See ya!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:55 AM

I can't believe nobody mentioned TRACTION BARS.

Long leaf springs and tall axle blocks make for a bumpy combo. Mine does it in snow and it's especially bad on sand. The traction is there but the back axle catches, winds the spring, and then releases (over and over real fast) Addding weight to the bed loads the springs and makes them more resistant to windup. It also increases the load on your tires, so if you're in deep stuff such as a sand dune, you are going to sink in more.

Traction bars smooth things out by stopping spring windup and stabilizing tall spacer blocks, without increasing contact load.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:45 PM

Location: Southern IL., A great state to be in if it weren't all the liberals in Chicago trying to take away my guns.

TIRES, TIRES, TIRES I bought my truck used. The 1st snow I was in, I had Pathfinder ATR's on it with a lot of wear. It wouldn't go anywhere in 2wd and wasn't the best in 4WD. That week I bought some new Cooper Discoverer STT, Tread similar to BFG M/T. Now it's a regular Snow Hog. It's better in snow than mud because with the front end weight it sinks pretty fast if the mud is really deep. But you just can't seem to stop it in snow. Totally Awesome!! No weight in the back end.It does better than my old Z-71 with the same tires. 8) 8)
Old 03-07-2003, 06:53 PM

Location: Southern IL., A great state to be in if it weren't all the liberals in Chicago trying to take away my guns.

<br><br>I'm not saying I don't get around, I have knobby tires too, and the LSD, but my 1500 short box reg cab would go through way more stuff than my current truck will<br><br>alot has to do with tires and driving tequnique<br><br> also my friend had a 94 CTD and he ran 305/70-16's (33x12.50's) and he got a round in deep snow MUCH better than I do with my stock hieght 245/75-16's so larger tires will help a lot too ...........( I think a leveling kit and 315's might be my next mod)<br>
Please don't put a leveling kit on it. :'( I hate them! Personal preference . Trucks are supposed to sit higher in the rear. I had 315/75/R16's on mine when I bought it. No Suspension Mod's. When I bought my new tires I went to 285/75/R16's because they were about $80 a tire cheaper and only about 1-2&quot; difference in width and height. Oh well to each his own. That's why I love this country.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:59 AM

Here in Minnesota we just got 6 inches and love the truck in the snow in 4X4 mode. 2WD works with the right amount of weight.<br><br>Tips:<br>1. Good tires with siping. I run HTs with good siping and works great in snow on the road.<br>2. Weight in the bed. With my old 4X2, I ran with 600 lbs in my 1500 and would take over 1000 lbs in our CTD. I run with none because that is what 4x4 is for.<br>3. Smooth on the accelerator, brakes, and steering.<br>4. Single rear wheels have a great advantage in the snow. Besides the dam trees get in the way on the way into the cabin with drw.
Old 03-08-2003, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a cure.... Load the snow blower on the trailer, head south, and when they start asking what that thing is on the trailer the problem is solved. ;D Worked for me
Old 03-08-2003, 02:20 PM

Mine has been doing fine this winter with 60&quot; plus inches this year. I don't even have any extra weight in the bed, just run in 4, in the snow as needed.<br><br>
Old 03-09-2003, 09:11 PM

Wow! I thought I was alone. It took me hours to get my truck up my driveway. I have Michelin LTX M/S's with 80K on them, really worthless, smoked then up real bad as they tried to grab the gravel. Packed snow in front of the tires, especially DWR's, act like wheel chocks. I am just too limited with these 215/85 option. No one will even do an upgrade to the 235's for me. Even though I read they will not touch, none of the tire centers, ie: Costco, BJ's, Walmart will upsize me. My LTX's have always been worthless in snow, I think I want to try the Michelin XPS &quot;Traction&quot; but at $180 X6 I wish I knew they would be better !!!<br><br>Ron --- 98 3500 CTD QC
Old 03-09-2003, 09:46 PM

I drive a F#rd :-[ F650 2WD plow truck at work, and I'm VERY surprised at where it'll go! It sits on duals no less, but it has a large sander on the back so it's got some good weight to help, but even with an empty sander it'll do things the F450 4X4 I plowed with before couldn't even go near with a loaded sander... My W250 Dodge on the other hand, even with duals, is pretty good in the snow as long as there's some weight in the back...
Old 03-10-2003, 06:46 AM

Well, I did find that my truck does much better w/ about 1000lb in the bed. The rear wheels do start acting like plows and the rear will start hopping around to the point where you have to let off the accelerator.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:51 AM

I just go down to the local tire shop and get a truck tube they are throwing away. I take it, cut it in two pieces, wire one end shut on each end, fill them with sand and wire the ends shut. You've got some good weight in the back and can use the sand to assist if you get stuck.<br><br>I run around in snow with 295 75R16's and have no problems as long as I have a little weight in the back.