2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering wheel squeaks in right turns

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering wheel squeaks in right turns

I tried the forum search and could not find anything specific to my problem. I hope someone can help.

I have 63000 mile son the truck and just started having a problem with my steering wheel squeaking when turing to the right. The odd part is there is absolutley no squeak when turning left. None! It only squeaks during right turns (curves) and only at higher speeds (35MPH+).

I don't think it is anything on the front end since I can run over every bump in the road and the there is no squeaking (as long as I'm going straight) but as soon as I go around a curve to the right, and hit a bump, the steering wheel squeaks.

Sounds like it's up near the horn/airbag to me, not lower in the column. I had the lower coulum replaced a couple years back and that was an entirely different sound.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So many things this could be. You might take a look at my picts and see if your 2k truck has the same trans linkage as my 01 (I'm pretty sure it does). I wedged a piece of fuel line in to hold tension on the linkage to stop an annoying squeek. Thats the only "free and easy" thing I can think of for you. Would have to hear it first hand to go any further.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 AM
Banned

Ahh. The famous dodge steering wheel squeak. Many people have this and have torn the truck completely apart to find it. I installed a lift on my truck and it didn't cure it. I just learned to live with it.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:06 AM

My steering wheel has a faint squeak in either direction. Can't hear it with the radio on, but you can without. I've just gotten used to it
Old 11-10-2004, 08:12 PM

I dont know if this fixed it or not but I crawled under it today and sprayed the transmission shift linkage good with WD40. Drove about 30 mies and did not hear the squeak. I kinda doubt this has the problem solved, but you never know.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:22 PM

Mine really squeaks in the same direction but I have a manual transmission. I'm thinking mine is some kind of plastic shield covering the steering rod causing the squeak. Mine sounds like it is rubbing something.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:14 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 89 had that dreaded right door fender well click that drove me crazy for about five years until I figured what it was. The metal in the fender well cracked at a weld and was clicking back and forth against each both sides. Took a three foot spring ply and a eight pound maul to it with a few light slams and it never did it again. Later on, there was a bulletin that came out on this very noise naturally after I had already fixed it.

Then, my 99 five speed QC started this annoying right turn squeak a few years ago and I lived with it until I remembered what the 89 use to do. So I went looking for something similar. I did the tear the dash apart thing, lube the joints thing, and everything else with no luck.

Finally went outside the cab looking for the now very elusive and even more annoying right turn squeak. Popped the hood and looked down in the cavity between the left door post upright and the inner fender well. Viola, there was a rust trail down the sheet metal on the door post about mid way down where a weld had cracked yet again. The crack was where the metal from both sides was rolled out and welded together forming a flange like lip weld. On a right turn and only a right turn, the metal would rub together and just make a little mouse like squeak. You guessed it, out came the long handled pry bar and with a few light slams yet again, the elusive and annoying squeak went away and has never returned.

If you need some help, drop me a PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:26 PM

on my 2000 it was the trans linkage that would drive me crazy. Soaking it w/ PB Blast would only fix it for about a day
Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 PM

Just thought I would let everyone know it was NOT the shift linkage. Definantly sounds like inside the steering wheel, somewhere aorund the airbag/horn to me. Oh well, it will have to get much worse before I try to seek repairs.
Old 11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Did you read my post?
Mine sounded just like what you are talking about too. You gotta look further than that.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:59 AM

Read your post a little closer this time Dieseldude. I'll check this later today or tomorrow. Its raining now but I really hope that is it. I'll let you know if I see the weld broken and write you back for more detailed instructions on the way you fixed it..if thats my problem. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Cool, if I can ever get this junk of mine running right again, I can meet you somewhere once I get back on normal human being work hours and show you what I did to mine. I'm about 40 miles above the NC / Va line close to I 95.
It was tricky to find and you have to look in the right place to find it. I had to take out that little junk filler piece of foam in the fender well to get at it. It about drove me crazy for a while until I rememebred what I had done on that old 89. It sounds like a steering wheel or column squeak and it did it especially bad coming off I 95 south (right turn cloverleaf) onto route 10 in Hopewell every single time.
Old 12-10-2004, 01:33 AM

Its been a while since I posted this thread but found where my squeak was coming from. There are 3 bolts that I guess secure the steering shaft in the cab to the firewall. 2 of those were so loose I could take them off by hand. Tighted those suckers down and now the squeak is gone. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:27 AM
Banned

Thanks for the update. I'm gonna try and fix that on mine. If I can get to the bolts through all the wires.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:34 AM

Well, Im back. After I thought I fixed my squeak it seems to have returned. The funny thing I have found out is that it will not do it when the truck is cold. It takes about 20 minutes of driving before it become noticable and then the longer you drive the worse it seems. Could this be some front suspension piece that needs lubrication or replacement?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel squeaks in right turns