2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering play any thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering play any thoughts

Have about an inch of play in the wheel before the tires turn. So far here is what I have replaced.
Track bar, drag link, tie rods, pitman arm, gear box, steering shaft, ball joints. When i did all this I checked the wheel bearings and there is no play in them. The gear box felt fine before I installed it this weekend but I still have play in the wheel. Is there another coupling/joint on the column I need to look at? The steering wheel doesn't move up and down or anything, just has play when driving. Also this is the second gear box since January.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:35 PM

http://www.xtremediesel.com/bd-power...tabilizer.aspx

ive got one of these and i think most of us do i did mine when i did the whole powersteering system in my truck and the combination of the box and that gave me alot less play
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM

Forgot to mention I added the DSS at the same time in January.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM

I had the same problem on my 02. I tightened the steering box worm gear about 1/4 turn. What a difference. Like a different truck. Try that.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:20 PM

do the bearing pre-load adjustment first, then do the overcenter adjustment, that should remove the slop, have someone move the wheel while you watch the sectorshaft(where column goes into the box) and see how much it moves compared to how much the pitman arm moves, there should be very little difference between the two shafts, if there is no difference then you have issues further down stream of the stearing gear

I have not seen too many power steering boxes out of the box that were good and did not need an adjustment
Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM

Was thinking of adjusting the box but when i turned it before i installed it there was no play in the shafts. The borgeson steering shaft also has no play. Thats why I was leaning towards something further up in the column.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by mr bill
Was thinking of adjusting the box but when i turned it before i installed it there was no play in the shafts. The borgeson steering shaft also has no play. Thats why I was leaning towards something further up in the column.

you have to check for slop while the box is on the truck, it will almost never show up when checking on the bench, again its easy to see if someone rotates the steering while your under the truck.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:35 PM

How to?

Originally Posted by nickg
do the bearing pre-load adjustment first, then do the overcenter adjustment, that should remove the slop, have someone move the wheel while you watch the sectorshaft(where column goes into the box) and see how much it moves compared to how much the pitman arm moves, there should be very little difference between the two shafts, if there is no difference then you have issues further down stream of the stearing gear

I have not seen too many power steering boxes out of the box that were good and did not need an adjustment
How do you do the bearing pre-load adjustment? I've just had my truck inspected, they told me my steering gearbox is worn and I need a new steering stabilizer. I have a lot of vibration and wobble when driving.

thanks!

Chris
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 AM

I recomend the preload being done first also. I noticed that the play was more when truck is not running. Take the stearing shaft off with the one bolt holding it on. Move it off toward the drivers side fender out of the way. Take the ring lock nut off. You can get this off with a hammer and chisel breaking it loose. Then you need a spanner wrench to fit the adjuster. I didn't have one, so I made a special one with two allen wrenches that fit in the two holes in the adjuster nut. I cut the short end of the allens down to about 1/8 inch. Used my old leaking gearbox to set the distance they needed to be set at and welded them together. Then you tighten the adjuster down all the way. Back it off something like .370 thousands. Might wanna check on that number my memory aint so good. put the lock ring type lock nut back on and the stearing shaft. If you have a spanner wrench that will work this doesn't take long at all to do. Now look at play between the stearing shaft goin into the gearbox and when the gearbox axually turns with the truck running. You are backing the adjuster nut back for oil clearance. Also, I took it for granted that you have already layed down and looked at everything in the front end while someone turned the stearing wheel left and right to see if there is any play anywhere else. Then if that doesn't fix the problem, do the over center adjustment. Remember to only adjust it 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. I have a PSC stearing gearbox and had to adjust both of these after 2 years of use. I noticed that they needed adjusted after bad wondering i replaced all the front end joints with lukes links and everything was tight yet still had lots of play and the stearing shaft would turn a good bit before the gearbox would move. Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had excess slop in mine after replacing the steering box. Rather than mess with it I made the auto parts store honor the warranty. This box is tight, no excessive play. I also figured if I adjusted it, they would say I messed it up. Since it says you replaced your steering box, you may want to see if it is covered by a warranty.