2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Box, Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, Firestone has a lifetime warranty for the price of 2 alignments. They also have a "friends and family" discount and senior citizens discount for those 55 & over. Ask for what will get you the most. I now align my truck when I balance tires. Sometimes the techs aren't great, sometimes you get lucky. There is/was? a laid off Dodge certified mechanic the last time I had mine on the rack.

Aside: Discount tire price matches web prices. Some web suppliers sell at or below cost & make $$ on the shipping.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
FWIW, Firestone has a lifetime warranty for the price of 2 alignments. They also have a "friends and family" discount and senior citizens discount for those 55 & over. Ask for what will get you the most. I now align my truck when I balance tires. Sometimes the techs aren't great, sometimes you get lucky. There is/was? a laid off Dodge certified mechanic the last time I had mine on the rack.

Aside: Discount tire price matches web prices. Some web suppliers sell at or below cost & make $$ on the shipping.

Yeah, I'm headed to the Firestone on base right now to get the alignment. Getting the lifetime one. I got 10% off with military discount.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:15 AM

I figured I should add my two cents on steering gears. I put in a Red Head box last week and I love it! Amazing how much difference a quality gear box will make! I went this route because of the cost. I didn't need a box AND a shaft as mine is still in very good shape. I believe Borgeson would sell ALOT more boxes if it weren't for the fact that you have to spend and extra $275 to make it work! I understand why they do it this way, but I can't justify the extra $$$.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dodge24
I put in a Red Head box last week and I love it!
I've decided to go that route when it warms up enough for outside wrenching. I haven't heard anything bad and Harvey seems to know his stuff. Post back results after you have more mileage on it.

Do you have a brace? I'd put one on there to keep your box.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:52 AM

Yeah, I have a brace. It was one of the first mods I did to my truck and I think it was worth every penny! Something worth noting, I have the BD brace and when I went to reinstall it after the new box, the bearing was pushing up on the pitman arm nut when it was tightened. This made the steering really loose and extremely easy to turn because it took all the preload off the sector shaft! I ended up up just putting a washer on each side between the bearing and the brace for now. Works like a charm!
Old 01-15-2011, 05:07 PM

great info
Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Bringing this back to the top!

Any one have any feed back on their Redhead Box?

My PSC it crapping out on me and Im either going with Borgeson and griding the adapter or the Redhead.

Im leary of the Redhead because it still old school technology and Im looking to see if anyone has had to send one back yet?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed a redhead box about 4 months ago....Sure is thighter than those rebuilds you get from NAPA,auto value,etc...No side to side slop on the pitmen arm at all.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 PM

NO issues here - our truck works for a living, mostly pavement use pulling and hauling heavy things, but every once i a while she needs to be messy and work in mud and slick conditions. Got to say the RedHead box and associated front end work we did at the same time made her drive like a new truck.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:43 AM

Interesting reading here- I'm in the boat for a new box now too.
FWIW Lukes Links are good band-aids but are not perm fixes. Had on on the track bar for a while- they use a poly spring inside which has to be cut to fit on install and as it compresses you have to shim it with washers to keep the joint tight. So, instead of replacing the track bar every year I was rebuilding/shimming the LL every year until the steel socket wore out and the ball fell right out of the track bar!

They only fit certain joints due to the housing sizes.
Hmm, so now to check my steering shaft so I can make the decision of Redhead or Borg.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by justme-
Interesting reading here- I'm in the boat for a new box now too.
FWIW Lukes Links are good band-aids but are not perm fixes. Had on on the track bar for a while- they use a poly spring inside which has to be cut to fit on install and as it compresses you have to shim it with washers to keep the joint tight. So, instead of replacing the track bar every year I was rebuilding/shimming the LL every year until the steel socket wore out and the ball fell right out of the track bar!

They only fit certain joints due to the housing sizes.
Hmm, so now to check my steering shaft so I can make the decision of Redhead or Borg.
I encountered one joint under our 3500 4x4 that the Luke's Link would not work on, had to get a (spendy!) NAPA rod end there. Otherwise - all others are very satisfactory. Did NOT have to alter the internals in any way.

I'd be interested to know what kind of mileage you are putting on in a year - and what kind of use, ie, off-road or highway? I have been wondering how long the poly "squish spring" will last
Old 04-10-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Wanted to bring this one back to the top and get some feedback from the Redhead users to see how they were holding up?

Also, does the Redhead fit with a steering brace that was used on the OEM box?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:01 AM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
Wanted to bring this one back to the top and get some feedback from the Redhead users to see how they were holding up?

Also, does the Redhead fit with a steering brace that was used on the OEM box?

Mine Redhead is holding up really good....No issues at all...

These are OEM boxes...That are overhauled...But with bearings instead of sleeves...etc...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM

3 years and 30,000 miles on my Redhead. No issues at all.

Yes, it works fine with the DSS brace.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks guys!

Looks like it's time to get one ordered up.

Quick Reply: Steering Box, Which one?