2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Box, Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Box, Which one?

I am wanting to get a new Box for my 01, I want a good aftermarket box with shorter stop to stop. I use the truck mostly for hauling the RV or traveling on the freeway. Until now I really wanted the AGR superbox2 as it has the 16/13:1 varible geometry. I fugured I would read some of the postings on here before I purchased the AGR, and Im seeing alot of guys discouraging against the AGR but not really explaining why. From what I see there are four good boxes avaiable.

1. AGR
2. PSP
3. Redhead
4. Borgeson

I would like to hear from the experiance out there what guys know about these boxes and I will hopefully deside based on what guys say as to which one I will buy. I really want to know what is it about the AGR that People dont like. Wich of these boxes are the best for the money and why. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned

Not AGR. I've had several in a row that were bad & had to pay tow bills & install. (I've gone back to doing my own work.) The first wasn't smooth. The 2nd & 3rd dropped the lock ring that holds the pitman shaft & seal in. I'm glad it happened on a side road because you loose power steering AND power brakes SUDDENLY. The last box wouldn't return to center. I blamed it on alignment. It was out of 1 yr warranty when I went to return it. It is laying on my shop floor waiting until I need a core.

I talked to Harvey at Redhead & may try one of his boxes. He seemed to know what he's doing and is honest. I don't have experience with his box yet but he's the only one that addresses play inherent in these boxes. Price is less than AGR.

I currently have a Cardone box that came with a lifetime parts & labor. I plan to exchange it for new & sell the replacement.

PSC quite building boxes for a while. Unless they found something new that makes sense, look elsewhere. (personal opinion)

I have new tie rods, ball joints, steering box, steering brace, Thuren track bar, lifetime Firestone alignment. Play is definitely in box.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 PM

Dodge box

I am also ready/need to buy a box, but unsure of what one. I like what the Borgeson says about there box. larger input shaft size, larger output shaft and bearing.
•This is a Brand New Upgraded Delphi Steering Box.
•The 800112 Replacement Steering Box is covered by a 3 year warranty.
•The Larger piston allows for more available power assist
•Quicker Ratio Steering for ease of parking and maneuvering
•Incorporates a modern variable valve for more stable steering
From what I have read up on, these with coupled with the needed steering shaft make a night and day diffrence. I read that when the box is centered out (going down the highway) there is less power assist wich makes a huge diffrence on how our Dodges like to wonder. I have not found one negative thing on these boxes. I have seen a number of complaints on the agr and psc, not sure what to think.
Im probley going to order the steering shaft and box tonight, I'll post how I like it. Best price I found was at:http://www.klmstore.com/borgeson-ste...2500-3500.aspx
Old 07-10-2010, 07:32 PM

After 2 AGR boxes didn't work to well i've switched to the Redhead box. No problems with it. Was going to do the Borgeson but the cost seemed high and since its new to the market for our trucks there wasn't enough feedback out there.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Great feedback guys, so far it looks like either the Red Top or the Borgeson is the one to get. I put an e-mail into Redtop looking for a price on their box but havnt heard back yet, I did purchase a steering box stabalizer setup so I can protect the new box that I will be getting. Thanks for the help so far.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:52 PM

Red head is $286 + shipping. I installed mine in May and have 2000 miles on it. I've been happy so far.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:57 PM

borgeson installed

well, I installed the borgeson box and the needed sterring shaft (direct perfect fit). Holy moly, what a diffrence. It steers like a new car/truck. The main diffrence was obviously how tight it was compared to the old one, but also the positive feed back the old set up had. I would have to anticipate a bump in the road changing the direction I wanted to go. It holds it's own and I feel in control, not like before. The reduced ratio is also noticed, I like the road feel, the stock ratio makes it to easy on the road. long story short, well worth the money, should have done this a wile ago.....
Old 07-30-2010, 06:06 PM
Banned

Why did you choose Borgeson over Redhead?
Old 07-31-2010, 01:28 PM

I chose the Borgeson box & shaft for my truck on the recommendation of Rip Rook at Sourceautomotive.biz. After installing the Borgeson box & shaft I couldn't believe the difference! New truck...I also just installed the Rip Rook (Source Automotive) modified DSS on my truck. Wow! No more frame flex from the steering box weak mounting that came from DC. I believe Rip is working on putting together a 2nd Gen "Steering Package" to improve upon what DC put out using the Borgeson components along with the Source Automotive modified DSS. Great setup with all of the new parts installed & would recommend Rip & Source Automotive to everyone that hasn't used his services. JMHO.....Clay
Old 07-31-2010, 03:03 PM

I did redhead and love it. I had two autozone prior each lasted a year at best. Redhead has been in Big Green for over a year and still feels good. I did do the borgerson shaft. They work good but the borgerson shaft does not work with a Body lift as the spacer they give you dosen't bolt up. I never knew knew borgerson made boxes until just now.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by BigGreen
I did redhead and love it. I had two autozone prior each lasted a year at best. Redhead has been in Big Green for over a year and still feels good. I did do the borgerson shaft. They work good but the borgerson shaft does not work with a Body lift as the spacer they give you dosen't bolt up. I never knew knew borgerson made boxes until just now.
I'm not sure how long they've been putting out the boxes & they are a bit more expensive than others ....Hopefully it worth the coin! So far, so good!

Clay
Old 08-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Does the Borgeson box require the Borgeson shaft? Or can a guy use a new OEM shaft? I assume the latter.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:15 PM

That's a good question as the two shafts are defiantly different. I know the shaft bolt just fine to the box it was the body lift spacer that caused a problem. I just had my borgerson shaft cut and extended 2" and works like a champ.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by klaybus
I'm not sure how long they've been putting out the boxes & they are a bit more expensive than others ....Hopefully it worth the coin! So far, so good!Clay
RedHead isn't more expensive than crappy AGR or PSC or Borgeson. A1 Cardone is cheaper but they don't work & if you go with a 3 1/2 turn box, it comes from a 1/2 ton so the warranty doesn't hold.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
RedHead isn't more expensive than crappy AGR or PSC or Borgeson. A1 Cardone is cheaper but they don't work & if you go with a 3 1/2 turn box, it comes from a 1/2 ton so the warranty doesn't hold.
I assume you are speaking of the A1 Cardone boxes regadring the 3 1/2 turn box, not the Borgeson. I think the individual was speaking about Borgeson's box and their price and how long they have been making them.

Does Borgeson also make a 3 1/2 turn box? Anyone else?

Quick Reply: Steering Box, Which one?