2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Box, Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 03:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Interesting experience yes, but at least they have worked very well. But Idonät understand that why you guys are going anything else than Borgeson? The most annoying thing in these trucks is the clearance on the cventer. not the turns. If the Borgeson box is the only one what uses the newer style delphi system and not the old 60's saginaw, I'd think the answer is simple...
Old 09-05-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Erska
Interesting experience yes, but at least they have worked very well. But Idonät understand that why you guys are going anything else than Borgeson? The most annoying thing in these trucks is the clearance on the cventer. not the turns. If the Borgeson box is the only one what uses the newer style delphi system and not the old 60's saginaw, I'd think the answer is simple...
You make a good point, it would be nice to have a more modern technology in a steering gear. For me the reason not to go with the Borgeson is the price. When I hear all the good things about the Redhead reman gear for $150 dollars less than the Borgeson, thats what I am looking for. As you can see by the description of my Dodge, I dont have an extreem truck. Its basically a stock truck. I just want a steering gear that is better than one from the local parts stoor, reliable, and priced well, so Redhead is where its at.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 AM

Since on center feel seems to be a pretty common issue, has anyone tried to address this by increasing camber?
Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeCanuck
Since on center feel seems to be a pretty common issue, has anyone tried to address this by increasing camber?
Stock camber is not adjustable (4x4 haven't looked at 2x). Aftermarket adjustable balljoints are a pita to find someone to get them set properly. Hopefully redhead with individually fitted ball bearings in the box takes some of the slop out.

My old Mercedes 300SD has play in the box but steers precisely regardless. My 93 Suburban which used the same box as the ram steered just fine.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I just installed a Redhead gear box on my truck this weekend and all I can say is that she steers like she just rolled off the show room floor or perhaps better. If this steering box will last as long as the OEM box I will be happy.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:53 AM

Sorry...I meant caster. It would seem to me that adjusting caster might change the on center stability.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JoeCanuck
Sorry...I meant caster. It would seem to me that adjusting caster might change the on center stability.
Mine tracks straight at ~ 3* caster. I don't see a need to go more. Let go of the wheel & it will track as good as you please.

Go around a curve or drive on a narrow road & it is a biatch to keep between the lines.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:17 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Man

Go around a curve or drive on a narrow road & it is a biatch to keep between the lines.

Not on my truck. The worst situation is a narrow road with a bump and narrow bridge on front of me+ oncoming car. In a dark night with a lot of rain! Truck hits the bump and I'll be playing again with that center tolerance and try to guess which I'm going to hit. The bridge railing or the car!

Here's a clip of my 3.2 turn PSC steering system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snoqECzDnNo
Old 09-07-2010, 11:22 AM

Your responses in to my posts are getting better and better every day...
Sorry about that. It was not my intention to make you feel dumb. KX500 is my brother and the reply "good" was just a brother way of me letting him know I saw his post. Sorry if that came across the wrong way.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

Not on my truck. The worst situation is a narrow road with a bump and narrow bridge on front of me+ oncoming car. In a dark night with a lot of rain! Truck hits the bump and I'll be playing again with that center tolerance and try to guess which I'm going to hit. The bridge railing or the car!

Here's a clip of my 3.2 turn PSC steering system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snoqECzDnNo
FWIW, all front end parts are new within the last 10,000 mi on my truck except shocks & steering shaft.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Thumbs up

I installed the Redhead 15:1 box last night. I never thaught a quality box could improve my truck as well as that box did. I couldnt be happier, it is well worth the money. Thanks for all the feedback and thanks to Redhead for a quality piece.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM

i'm tired of the steering in my 98, and since i have a ps leak at the box
i can justify replacing it instead of trying to repair it

I'm looking at the borgeson box/shaft.
but I don't get all the other parts that need replacing too
If i just start out with the box and the shaft, is there anything else that I should do (to save labor later) during that install? or are the other pieces a project unto themselves and will be just as easy later?
Old 09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by barngal6
i'm tired of the steering in my 98, and since i have a ps leak at the box
i can justify replacing it instead of trying to repair it

I'm looking at the borgeson box/shaft.
but I don't get all the other parts that need replacing too
If i just start out with the box and the shaft, is there anything else that I should do (to save labor later) during that install? or are the other pieces a project unto themselves and will be just as easy later?
Install a steering brace to preserve your new box. I would buy the support without the shaft unless my shaft is bad. I'm going with redhead next time. Tie rods, ball joints etal need to be good else the box won't fix it.

A friend of mine said he is certified on Hunter alignment machines. He is going to get me a free alignment at the school where he took the classes. I'll report what they find. Side note: the tech that did his alignment said he was in specs & the machine wouldn't do what my friend said it would. He went back & demonstrated. Moral: Gotta find a tech that knows more than how to follow pictures on the screen.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 PM

New box

Hey all, I have been following this thread from the beginning, with all of the great advice and input, thanks to all of you. I just put in my new Borg. box this AM, WOW! Easy install, abit dirty. I will go back in the AM to center my wheel. The box moves over 3/8" toward the c/l of the truck to clear the frame. On the 4X4 the drag link is adjustable, 2X4 is not so you have to adjust the tie rods or r&r the steering wheel, and adjust there. Still trying to get the BLACK off. I got the 13:1 box. I drove it around the block then out on the freeway. WOW! What a great change. Should have done this years ago. 173,000 miles. Not quite 1/4 turn slop in the works, but a chore to drive 500 miles a week in the LA area. I AM SO HAPPY...... The guys at KLM Performance are great. Thanks guys. Mark PS Best 400.00+- I`ve spent on the truck.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:22 AM

I finally got around to installing my Borgeson box/shaft today. Need to take truck in for an alignment tomorrow morning, but the steering is already night and day difference. The only problem I've run into is the Borg box has spacers that push it 3/8" toward the center (as kayakit mentioned above). I tried to reinstall my DSS, but with the 3/8" displacement of the new box, it no longer fits. Dropped if off at a welder down the street to have him move the bracket on the DSS 3/8" towards center so that it will align correctly with the Borg box. Anyone else run into this problem?

Quick Reply: Steering Box, Which one?