2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Steering Box, Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know but do know redhead makes a quick ratio box.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CORed
I assume you are speaking of the A1 Cardone boxes regadring the 3 1/2 turn box, not the Borgeson. I think the individual was speaking about Borgeson's box and their price and how long they have been making them.

Does Borgeson also make a 3 1/2 turn box? Anyone else?
Yes, I was talking about Cardone. I could have bought a 3 1/2 turn box for a 1/2 ton truck but the shop wouldn't have warrantied it. I don't really like the box - never as easy & smooth as it should be. I am going to see if the shop will order an exchange which I will sell as new/reman to get a little $$ back. I'll do my own install. At one time I was trying to farm out my wrench pulling but I'd rather do it myself & haave it the way I want.

Then I'll get a box from Harvey at RedHead using the expensive AGR as a core. I liked what Harvey had to say...other trucks use the same box but don't have problems because their steering geometry is different. How easy or hard the turning effort is determined by valving in the box. He machines the boxes & installs bigger bearings & matches the ball bearings to the gear. Still only 1 yr warranty but I've got a brace. I'd be happy to have a supplier where I can talk to the boss who also takes care to manufacture a good product. I haven't heard anything bad about his boxes but also haven't heard from many who have actual experience and many miles on the box.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM

Redhead sounds like quite the company and product. It sounds like even if a guy gets the 4 1/2 turn box from Redhead, there is still a significant improvement - and very little play - compared to the OEM box. My first choice would be the 3 1/2 turn tho - from Redhead.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CORed
Redhead sounds like quite the company and product. It sounds like even if a guy gets the 4 1/2 turn box from Redhead, there is still a significant improvement - and very little play - compared to the OEM box. My first choice would be the 3 1/2 turn tho - from Redhead.
I haven't heard anything bad but don't have personal experience. Those with experience haven't had a lot of miles ie <50.000. But...he is the only person that does something to remove the slop (over sized bearings individually fitted to the worm gear). Also, less $$ than AGR which I've had BAD experience with. Slightly more than Cardone whose products on any vehicle are a gamble.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:23 PM

Borgeson reason

I chose the borgeson box because of the many reasons i listed previously. they already had a good rep on there steering shafts. i needed a shaft anyway, even a tight o.e shaft is not as tight and true as a borgeson shaft.
Really though, i love the ratio change, the road feel is perfect.

BTW, I found out that you can use your o.e shaft, however you must grind a flat onto the borgeson shaft adaptor(included with steering box). as the borgeson set up does not use a flat, only splines, making it infinitely adjustable.

I totally 100% say spend the money on the shaft and box, I dont regret it at all, i love how tight it is now, night and day
Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 PM

The shaft

I may be unaware, except for the wandering, and the loose box, but what wears out on the shaft? The rag joint? Ok, I haven`t looked yet. I have been out of the truck for two months. Boy do I need something! I`m ready for, at leased a box. A "borg." sounds good with the 13:1.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:37 AM

The psc box I had was like a dream until I started getting play and it began needing constant adjustment. Replaced it with a Borgeson and while it is a nice tight box it isn't the same as the fresh psc box. I looked and PSC is now selling brand new replacements stating that using the worn gears during the rebuilds was the issue. The new boxes are very expensive. I was going to try Redhead but after Harry suggested staying with the 20:1 box I decided on the Borgeson. If I had to do it over I would probably have tried the Redhead after reading all of the good feedback. Afetr driving both ratios I actually liked the 20:1 box just as well as the 13/16:1.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kayakit
I may be unaware, except for the wandering, and the loose box, but what wears out on the shaft? The rag joint? Ok, I haven`t looked yet. I have been out of the truck for two months. Boy do I need something! I`m ready for, at leased a box. A "borg." sounds good with the 13:1.
I looked at my stock shaft when I had my box out. Stock shaft is usually not the problem and it will be obvious if it is the problem. Either slip joint will be locked &/or the u-joints will be worn. Since neither was wrong, I couldn't justify the price of the Borg shaft ($300). I'd try the Borg shaft only if I found a deal because the shaft isn't contributing to my steering problem.

I know from personal experience that AGR is crap - expensive crap. Again, from personal experience getting good products from Cardone is simply lucky. This Cardone box is better than AGR in some ways but has never been tight. Cardone alternators & starters need to be bench tested before you buy them or leave the store. The best thing is the lifetime warranty but you will likely use the warranty.

PSC quit making boxes for a while including the time when I was in the market for a box. That leaves redhead where I haven't seen anything bad but haven't personally installed one. The owner (Harvey who I spoke with) explained that they (actually he) custom fits over sized ***** to the worm gear. Each gear is different and stock ***** are almost never correct. He also makes quick ratio boxes. I think the 1/2 ton trucks used quick ratio as stock.

These boxes are used on many vehicles without the trouble of our Rams. Only things like gear ratio or connection splines change.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM

Redhead told me that a quick ratio on these trucks was not advised at all if you run bigger tire, have a lift, or tow. The increased ratio on the stock box just puts more stress on it as the box was never designed for that ratio.
SO I went with Borgeson and love it!
The Borgeson is a completely new box from the ground up.
The stock unit is an outdated box, the bearings are not large enough to support the steering arm.
When you buy the Borgeson box you are buying a box that is made in the US by people who know what they are doing with high quality parts.
I find it funny how people have no problem buying a 700$ chip or engine mod but question buying a 400$ steering box. I would trade my chip for this box any day, it made the truck so much easier to drive.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Diesel_411
I find it funny how people have no problem buying a 700$ chip or engine mod but question buying a 400$ steering box. I would trade my chip for this box any day, it made the truck so much easier to drive.
I bought the $400 AGR box and had a bad experience. The 1st one didn't turn smooth. The 2nd & 3rd dumped the lock ring that holds the bearing & seal in. Boxes were replaced under warranty AND I paid install and towing twice. 4th box didn't return to center. It is on the shop floor waiting until I need a core.

Edit: So, over $400 for box, my labor for 2 installs ~ $300, Shop labor for 2 additional installs, return shipping for 2 cores, 2 tow bills at $100 each comes to $1200 AND I still needed another box and install ~ $350 total for Cardone AND box still isn't right. This does not count incidentals like synthetic fluid wasted which is significant given the number of box failures. Poor design compounded by poor quality.

halfpint, Which Redhead box did you get? Be sure to post redhead results.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:49 PM

My sainted brother installed the brand new Red-Head box in our truck Saturday - along with all new ball joints, tie rod ends, and PS pump and lines. Haven't driven it out to get alignment yet (hubby has her boxed in with parked machinery, and dentist appt tomorrow) but really can't wait to feel the difference.

Did the tie rod ends with Luke's Links - well, except the drivers side rod end, which was not compatible with the LL kit. I have a emailed comment in to them, will report on the response - the stock rod end is just not compatible with their kit, no way shape or form - was very lucky to have found a stock replacement end (for mucho bucks) two towns away to finish the job!

Has anyone else found that the Luke's Link kit doesn't fit on this one tie rod end? It worked out beautifully on all the others.... easy, fast and adjustable/serviceable.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:12 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
I have had 3 PSC steering boxes. There was nothing wrong on the original. But I hated the center feel of the box and the slow ratio as well.

I ordered complete PSC kit with more powerful power steering pump and extra reservoir+ cooler. It also came with DSS,Borgeson Shaft, PSC steering box with hydro assist.

I was going to install the 3.2 quick ratio PSC steering gear and Hydro assist on the truck. Well I first tried the steering gear itself and it was the stock ratio one!! Even though I wanted and paid the 3.2 one. Well after few months I got the 3.2 quick ratio box, but guess what. This does not have the extra ports for the hydro assist cylinder! Well I got the third one for free!
That was very nice. But I still havent take the non hydroassist model off.

I have had it on my truck for three or two years now.
Yesterday I decided and sold the 3.2 model hydroassist versio with the hydroassis cylinder because I really donät need that.

But I still have a problem. I hate the center feel of the PSC box.

I have to drive the truck like people do in the old 60's american movies!

Now I want to try the Borgeson box because they say they are redesigned the complete system and not only upgraded it like PSC did. I assume Borgeson box is little slower than the 3.2 PSC model? But Then again. I have been thinking cutting the Borgeson shaft in half and install a steering quickener there.

Like this one: http://www.scpraceparts.com/coleman-...o-1-ratio.html

As soon as I get the shipping prices to Finland from the seller I'll buy the Borgeson box.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Good
Old 09-05-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Your responses in to my posts are getting better and better every day...
Old 09-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Interesting experiance you have had with the PSC, that in itself makes me want to avoid that brand. I finally broke down and ordered a Red head Box yesterday. My Brother and a friend and I went all went in and ordered three boxes. Based on all the feedback on this thread, I feel that the Redhead is probably the best gear for the money. I ordered the 15:1 which Harvey discouraged me buying, but I really want a quicker steering box, hopefully I wont be disapointed. I checked out the steering quickener that you talked about, That is really cool, you will have to keep us updated on how well it works on your truck. Il be installing the Redhead box when it shows up next week. Il let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Steering Box, Which one?