2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Rock Solid Steering bushing issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rock Solid Steering bushing issue

I installed this earlier this year and made a big improvement in the steering wheel play. This has been flawless until recently. The issue that started recently with the cold weather is the steering has gotten tight. Every turn of the wheel i can see the gear shift move a little. This morning when I made a left turn it shifted into neutral. Is there a way to lube this bushing? Do I just need to order another and redo it?
Old 11-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Banned

It is likely not the bushing. I disconnected my steering shaft when working on my steering. Bushing allowed free, smooth turn without excess (any) play.

Perhaps your pump (or gear box) is failing &/or needs synthetic fluid??
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Junk Man
It is likely not the bushing. I disconnected my steering shaft when working on my steering. Bushing allowed free, smooth turn without excess (any) play.

Perhaps your pump (or gear box) is failing &/or needs synthetic fluid??
Gearbox has been replaced 3 times and not sure how it would make the gear shifter move. Been running synthetic fluid since first two AGR boxes and on Redhead. Pump has been replaced also. It's fine when its above 70 degrees. Even with the shaft loose from column the shifter moves. I'm pretty sure its the Rock Solid bushing.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by mr bill
Gearbox has been replaced 3 times and not sure how it would make the gear shifter move. Been running synthetic fluid since first two AGR boxes and on Redhead. Pump has been replaced also. It's fine when its above 70 degrees. Even with the shaft loose from column the shifter moves. I'm pretty sure its the Rock Solid bushing.
These have had some known problems with the Auto's unfortunately. That's the only reason I have not installed one yet on my '02 as I love the one installed in my '01 manual...
I would recommend getting a hold of David and getting his opinion directly!
http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its the bushing. I installed one and it did the exact same thing when temps drop below 35*. I called them and they said it was the metal swelling due to the cold and to take it off and sand the bushing a little (can't remember if it was the inside or outside of the bushing). It did help but will still get tight if the temps get @ 25* or below. I'd give them a call and they'll help you out.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 AM

I bought one of these hoping that it would get rid of some of the steering column noise.....i never installed mine though....i wish i would have known that they don't work so well with the automatics or don't think i would have gotten it......do they work better if they are sanded down a little?
Old 11-14-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mstep3
I bought one of these hoping that it would get rid of some of the steering column noise.....i never installed mine though....i wish i would have known that they don't work so well with the automatics or don't think i would have gotten it......do they work better if they are sanded down a little?
It worked great until the cold weather came in. I spoke to David at Rock solid and he advised me to pull it and sand it down a little. It was a tight fit when I installed it but I thought that would be better tight. That will be the next project after the brakes job and Solid Steel track bar.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:21 PM

It's not limited to autos either. I have a manual and the bushing started grabbing my steering shaft. Once it starts grabbing, don't try to lube it. That only made it worse. I wish I wouldn't have thrown away the stock parts. I finally went to the junk yard and got a new/used column. I did buy a new bushing, but I'm reluctant to install it.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by ldornak
It's not limited to autos either. I have a manual and the bushing started grabbing my steering shaft. Once it starts grabbing, don't try to lube it. That only made it worse. I wish I wouldn't have thrown away the stock parts. I finally went to the junk yard and got a new/used column. I did buy a new bushing, but I'm reluctant to install it.
I'm a bit surprised! I know there have been a few issues with the manual trans bushings, but most of them were at the very beginning. I have had one installed for over five years now in the '01 and couldn't be happier with it. I am still reluctant to install the one I got for the '02 auto though...
Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Put one on my 2001, started to bind up so I sanded off a little and it is good to go now, should have done that to start with.
Really took the slack out of the wheel.