2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Road Trip! Tools to bring along?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by barngal6
Partswise I'm planning on belts, a few strategic light bulbs, oil, water/antifreeze...in my old truck I would have included a thermostat/gasket,
but don't know enuf about this one..

Toolwise its the basics, + a manual...still putting that list together from suggestions here...
Yeah, I keep the three main fluids (engine oil, engine coolant, washer fluid) - 2/3 of the time, when you keep your truck in good shape, keep on top of fluids at home/stops/etc., it's only used to help someone else out! I have a relatively cheap tool kit (don't want expensive tools stolen!) that has some wrenches, pliers, sockets (metric and imperial), pliers, knife, hex keys, screw drivers, and bits. Also jumper cables, I managed to score a nice deal for $20. Between all that, I can deal with most stupid problems that I could realistically get into on the roadside without needing a tow.

As for the belt... I'm yet to be convinced, I've never seen a belt break - they will squeal like hell for a long time if they start slipping from being worn out. The only time I would expect a break is if a belt driven component (e.g. tensioner) seizes up. In which case you can't just throw a new belt on anyway.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:10 PM

I'd say no need to go overkill with the tools, just a basic, cheap tool kit is good enough. Anything else you need you should be able to get it there,or in route to CA. If you do have a problem that needs lots of tools, chances are you won't be able to fix on your own by the side or the road anyway.

Two most important things, a credit card, or two, and a cell phone, with charger. Its good that you're bringing a friend. Do you know anyone that is familiar with these trucks, if so, make sure you take their number with you, and tell them you may be calling with questions.

Like others have said, make sure you check, or have checked, all the fluids including the differentials, and transfer case. Make sure the spare tire has air, to the right pressure, and make sure all your lights work. Check your wiper blades, to make sure they work. Then just take it easy, until you get some miles on the truck and you start to get comfortable with it. When you get off the highway, to get fuel or food, don't shut it down immediately, let it idle for 3-5 minutes, to let the turbo cool down.

Not to scare you, but have a plan in case you do have a major brake down, for example suppose your clutch gives out, or you loose a wheel bearing or something like that. Would it be cheaper to have the truck fixed there, or to ship it back to CA? Just have a mental plan ready, that way if you do have an issue, you already know what to do. Good luck. Oh, and go get lots of maps, they are free if you have AAA.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:51 PM

Not getting paranoid--I like that!

I'm trying to have a fun mellow trip in my new truck!

See some country, see how she runs, and I hope I'm grinning
ear to ear all the way home.

I will take some stuff, since I've never had a problem with the airlines before,
and I'll feel comforted that if anything goes wrong, I'll have the basics to fix it (or get help). I do have nationwide tow insurance, I'm really set.

Best saftey item is my co-driver...and we can't get too lost--we're heading WEST!

Appreciate the idea of getting the local maps--I know the weather might be bad and we definitely need to take that into account. Bringing a jacket!

I'm not taking hoses-we'll look at them when I arrive, and I expect everything to be in good shape. The fella I'm buying from seems like a good guy, he's even had the cat and muffler (working but he wanted a straight pipe)
welded back on for me at a shop, since I AM coming home to California.

Should get me through the inspection, then I can whatever I need to.
Straight pipes may be better for power or something, but I'm not fond of the roar on a long trip.

Thanks again to all--I'm on a plane tomorrow morning at 6am, so may not check back in here, but again, all of your help and comments reassure me that this isn't a BAD idea at all...(provided the truck is in good shape)
cheers, Jenni
Old 04-04-2007, 03:57 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Have a safe and careful drive back. I am sure you will be grinning from ear to ear!! Cin
Old 04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take you laptop so you can check in at Truck Stops.

Be sure to back through Colorado......unless there's another winter storm.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 PM

DL122--
i've been thinking about what WOULD happen if I had a major breakdown...
I'm sure the mechanics along the route are at least as competent as the mechanics here, I'm sure less expensive to get it repaired, come home if necessary and go get it again...

I would try to contact somebody (maybe off this forum) for advice if I have that kind of breakdown.

Honestly intend to plan the route when I arrive, since I know much more about this end of things, and not at all familiar with the country between here and there.
And check the weather reports...Lap top at Truck Stops...that'll work!

Good chance we won't get out of town Thursday evening, but thats ok.
Probably start fresh early Fri AM

Half the fun of this has been planning the trip with y'all (practicing my draawll--I love how it sounds..)

Cheers, Jenni
(cheers--a greeting used on another forum for my MINI )
Old 04-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Got my Truck!

Just a followup to all of you, who were so helpful...

Got my truck! I'm thrilled with it, runs great, no problems
getting home (whew!)

I took a manual, cheap emergency tool kit, belts,
a couple of hose clamps,knife, nylon twine, flashlight,
a funnel, garbage bags (to double as a tarp),
zip ties,gloves and duct tape.
Oh, and an adjustable bar for the truck bed, to
hold things in place (my big splurge).

Before leaving town I bought Oil, Coolant,
power steering fluid and brake fluid,
lug nut socket and breaker bar.

Aside from the fluids mentioned, only things
I purchased for this trip were the manual,
the belts and the lug nut socket/breaker bar
(the ones in the truck didn't fit...go figure).

Didn't need any of the supplies on the way home--
probably cause I had 'em!

Truck runs great, has some minor problems
which I knew about, and steering has too
much play for me, will have to address that.

Thanks again for all you help--I still think that
being prepared helps prevent problems,
and what I took fit in one duffel bag
(ok, a large one because of the bar for the bed)
so it wasn't hard to do.

Now I've got to get to the KDP! See you in other
forums, Jenni
Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 AM

barngal, congrats!!! on bringing your truck home safe...
Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 AM

Congratulations... and welcome to the diesel cult.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
good deal. keep us posted, and ask for help on the maintenance, there's always somebody smarter than me, that knows a trick way to do something, like putting a gallon freezer bag over the oil filter to catch the oil.

enjoy!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Chapter President

When can we expect pics of the new ride?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 04ctd
good deal. keep us posted, and ask for help on the maintenance, there's always somebody smarter than me, that knows a trick way to do something, like putting a gallon freezer bag over the oil filter to catch the oil.

enjoy!
Yep, like using Wal Mart bags for the filter.

Ooops sorry........not everyone goes to Wal Mart.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:19 PM

After you had headed west I was wondering what you did for lisense plates while driving home? I purchased my truck in Atlanta. Flew down there with tags from another truck I owned, and installed them before leaving and took my chances. I had insurance papers and bill of sale with me. You can also go to the local courthouse and get 10-30 day temp. tages in some locations. Also, did you have your insurance in order? Just thoughts for others.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:24 AM

D2 Cat

The truck still had the Oklahoma "farm truck" plate on it, so I was fine driving home. It was registered until October.

My insurance covered me, though I've now added full insurance.

I took it in and got in registered this week...I am sooo glad it had a metal plate with an EPA tag on it...its on the power steering cover.

They told me that if there wasn't an EPA tag, the truck couldn't be registered in California--that it would just have to be sold out of state, that there was no way I could fix it!

Should have known that and checked it out before I bought it, but that item wasn't listed on the DMV website checklist for registering out of state vehicles.

Got lucky I guess!

I know that the truck was in California for a while before going to Oklahoma,
but stilll.....coulda been tragic.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the update. It's good information for others.

So you using your truck for hauling your hay processors, or other critters?

Quick Reply: Road Trip! Tools to bring along?