2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Road Trip! Tools to bring along?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trip! Tools to bring along?

Don't mean to be repetitious, go ahead and direct me to
existing threads if I missed 'em..

Going to Oklahoma from California to pick up my "new" used
98 12v Dodge Diesel 3/4 ton 4WD 5speed 4.10

For minor road repairs, what should I bring? (fingers are crossed)
I can pick up oil or whatever before I leave, a diesel fuel can, etc...

As a new diesel driver, what should I know about turning it on,
turning it off...or whatever that I don't even know to ask
(don't think it has gauges, yet )

what if the KDP isn't done? Owner didn't know about it, and he has some records from previous owner, but not sure if it was done or the records will show...

ONE more thing...it has two wheel studs missing...owner says he's driven on them for years, no problem...take it in get it fixed before i leave?
Kinda want to hit the road to get home ASAP...but breakdowns aren't the fastest way home, for starts!

thanks for any input Jenni
Old 04-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Fuel filter socket.
Jack in case it's missing.
4way lug wrench
Fuses

Then your travel toolbox.
I'd fix the studs once home.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:53 PM

I carry a small toolbox with a set of shallow sockets, deep sockets, set of standard and metric wrenches, scredrivers, ect. I also carry a couple qts of oil, ATF, a pint of brake fluid, a gallon of antifreeze, hose clamps, wire ties, mechanics wire, electrical wire, electrical tape, waterless hand soap, qt of gear oil, tube that screws on to fluids for easy install, rags,small tarp to lay on, good credit card, and cash. I have used the tarp many times crawling under trucks. I have used the tarp many times to crawl under trucks. The cash has come in handy too. Once in Oklahoma I needed a waste gate solenoid for a GMC truck. I found a GMC dealer and the sales dept was open. I asked the salesman (very nicely) to sell me the part. He opened the parts dept. and sold me the part. He did not know how to do a receipt on the computer, I paid him cash, threw him an extra $20.00 for beer and thanked him. I got his card(he was th GM) and I sent hin a thankyou card when I got home. I did the same with a broken exhaust once too. I found a muffler shop and paid $30.00 to fix the broken pipe and $70.00 tip for beer. Both of these repairs were on saturday afternoons. Good luck with your trip.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:08 PM

I carry a set of metric sockets and wrenches, a 1-1/16" socket and breaker bar for my wheels, and a trolley jack. So far, so good. Flat head screwdriver comes in handy when the e-brake sticks and you need to loosen the shoes on the rear.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

Bargal6,these guys give you great advice. Drive safe and be careful!!!!
Turning it on : wait for the wait to start light to go out
Turning it off.:let it cool down for at least a few minutes. Cin
Old 04-02-2007, 04:09 AM

Thanks for all the help.

Thanks Cin, I didn't even know there was an idiot button for when to turn the key

If I hadn't found this forum, I would have bought a diesel and not thought another thing about it...

Now I'm thinking about how to protect and not abuse my truck...geeze...

I can't wait. Hope I return with good news (ie, we all got home in one piece with no major repairs on the road)....

thanks again
Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure the guy you're buying from is up front, but I would also check all the fluids, lights, brakes, etc. As far as tools, you could stop at Sears and buy an "all-in-one" tool kit that has wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, etc. I also carry a bottle jack and a deep socket and 26" break over bar for changing tires and checking the lug nuts. Other than that, just watch your gages and be sure the fuel gage is accurate before you run it very low.

Take the scenic route and have a safe trip.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:38 AM

I always have an extra fan belt and the tool to change it. Nothing will stop one of these trucks like a broken fan belt. When I change mine, I put the old in the work box as a spare. I carry a long belt tool, but you can get away with a 3/8" drive ratchet with a long handle.

Good luck on your trip.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by atthepark
I always have an extra fan belt and the tool to change it. Nothing will stop one of these trucks like a broken fan belt. When I change mine, I put the old in the work box as a spare. I carry a long belt tool, but you can get away with a 3/8" drive ratchet with a long handle.

Good luck on your trip.
Ditto!

you only have one belt that runs the whole shabang, the old one is zip tied in a neat bundle behind my seat. Better off there then in the garbage can. A 3/8" ratchet is all you need to change it and the routing diagram is on a sticker under the hood.

good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 AM

I'll have to check what the weight limit is for my airline luggage...

Can I pick up a belt before I leave?
Or are there minor differences in the engines and I need to wait
until I have the truck?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Chapter President

If you have to buy the tools too, just wait until you get to Ok.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:11 PM

You can get a belt at most any auto parts store, just wait untill you get to OK.
If you have tools already, you can ship them to yourself to a location in OK instead of taking them on the plane.
Good luck.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:38 PM

Congrats on the new truck. Lot of good advice here on what to have with you. Other things I would recommend. A good truck tire pressure gauge, an infared tempature checker. I small pocket one at radio shack about $50.00. I use mine when I stop for fuel to check the tempature of the tires and brakes. Also can check the coolent tempature where at the tstat housing, oil tempature at the bottom of the dipstick when you check the oil. A rain suit, pants and a hooded jacket, from a garden shop a kneeling pad. Handy when checking tires etc.
Also on here there is a thread with members locations and some with phone numbers.
Go to gasbuddy.com and check diesel prices along your intended route. They can very as much as $0.50/gallon just a few miles apart. A few of the plastic grocery bags to hold the pump handle when refueling. A good flashlight.
Have a safe trip.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:44 PM

I would suggest stopping in at your local auto supply and pick up a "Chilton" or "Haynes" manual for your year of truck. Have it with you to browse during your flight! You can learn of the specific type of transmission fluid, oil, quanities, or locations of dipsticks, etc.

For peace of mind, if you're uneasy about the reliability/trust of the seller you can take the truck to a local garage and get an inspection done for probably $75-$100. They'll check fluids, lights, brakes, tires, exhaust---basicly everything on the truck. You can call before going out and get the name of some local repair shops from the seller (or better yet, ask them who has done service on it for them). Go there and get an inspection and ask questions about previous repairs and maintenance for future reference. You'll know the age of you lift pump and injection pump, etc.

If you get an all clear from a mechanic you'll feel much better on your trip.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM

D2Cat--
thanks -- the manual is a GREAT idea. As a basic reference, which is what I was looking for at this point.

I did have the seller take the truck to a nearby dealer for a check up.

I spoke with the dealer before hand, and spoke with the dealer afterwards, he gave it a clean bill of health (he never heard of the KDP problem..)
and told me he thought it was a nice truck and a fair price.

When I called it was a dealership, and they did transfer me to the mechanic doing the inspection. So that seems ok...time will tell!

I'm hoping for the best, preparing for what I can handle...and trying to have fun.

CARFAX verified this is the second owner...its a relief to me that the seller was honest about that. Thursday can't come soon enuf now

Quick Reply: Road Trip! Tools to bring along?