2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Road Trip! Tools to bring along?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
barngal6,
I bought a new car in '72. Picked it up just before dark. I went to a BB game and parked it facing the curb. when I came out I couldn't even find the light switch, or figure where reverse was!

Sounds like you' ve covered your bases real good. Do as others mentioned, make sure you have a jack, lug wrench, and air in your spare. If you don't have a jack you can pick up one up at Wally-World for like $20. Get a 2-ton capacity floor jack. It would probably be easier (than a bottle jack) for you to get located correctly since it has 4 little wheels to scoot it with, and it's stable.

See if you can get someone to show you the link to get to the folks on DieselTruckResource who offer a call of aid should you get in a pinch. Have a safe trip. It's 82deg. here today BUT suppose to be in upper 30's by Wed. AM. going up to 50's in the afternoon.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 PM

having a spare belt behind the seat is a smart thing to do. I read that if the air cond. compressor goes out that it can freeze up (I think that is the term)
and a replacement belt would also have the same problem, if this is what caused the issue in the 1st place. So for a spare belt, have the belt for a non air cond truck. Replace as the diagram will show, bypassing the air cond compressor, and you wont be stuck. Or if you choose, carry one of each. They are not expensive, and when needed are worth way more than they cost. Ken
Old 04-02-2007, 08:37 PM

Wow, this is great advice.

I'm wondering now if my laptop would be helpful to have along, I'll have to check my internet access (is it even available if you're stuck nowhere?

Earthlink has satellites for phones, and my phone is supposed to have some kind connection to my computer...hmmm.

I have LOTS of tools, and have gotten some good ideas here of what to bring.
Seller assures me there's a good jack, spare and lug/breaker bar, but I' might need a bigger one, if its not big enuf I stand on it, jump if necessary
(always does the trick, I'm not a sprite)

Wow, I'm going to be busy getting this stuff together and checking out the lists, but I feel like I'm going to be much better prepared now than I would have...
Old 04-02-2007, 08:40 PM

dessimeck--

the infrared gauge is intriguing..I'm worried about having no gauges, but I know may people drive around and don't even think of having them, I'll just take it easy..

I like the idea, but I have no idea what the readings would MEAN...
can you direct me where I'd get that info? And I suppose what you do about it is stop for a while, or can you tell if you need to idle longer?
Old 04-02-2007, 08:46 PM

D2Cat

Not sure I would have checked out the lights, etc if we stopped before dark, but oh yeah--

per advice here, we're gonna check out all the lights and signals before we leave ,

maybe I"ll see if Ihave any bulbs that I can take along too (from the manual you guys suggested)..and of course get belts, pick up oil, etc...

The support I got here really reinforces that buying this kind of truck is a GOOD decision...you all rock...
Old 04-03-2007, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by barngal6
dessimeck--

the infrared gauge is intriguing..I'm worried about having no gauges, but I know may people drive around and don't even think of having them, I'll just take it easy..

I like the idea, but I have no idea what the readings would MEAN...
can you direct me where I'd get that info? And I suppose what you do about it is stop for a while, or can you tell if you need to idle longer?
The guages added in the aftermarket are more important if you are pushing the vehicle to its limit, increasing the power, etc. If you are running unloaded, you really shouldn't have to worry about EGT's, trans temps, etc. Fuel pressure is something to worry about on the 24V engines primarily, but *shrug*.

As far as being ready to go, do a thorough pre-trip of the vehicle (identify operations, condition of components, wheels, tires, hubs/lugs, brakes, lights, fluids, etc.) While its a good idea to bring some things to be ready, it's a bit of a shoot about what you'd actually end up needing. You can't carry every spare part and be prepared for every situation. In a lot of ways, instead of investing in a bunch of things to tote around, having that money available on a visa and contingency plans for any trip might be a better idea. Things go well when you plan for the worst.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:24 AM

I'm in tulsa.. where are you picking up truck from?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ScottN
T. If you are running unloaded, you really shouldn't have to worry about EGT's, trans temps, etc.
Thank, thats good news!

[\QUOTE]As far as being ready to go, do a thorough pre-trip of the vehicle (identify operations, condition of components, wheels, tires, hubs/lugs, brakes, lights, fluids, etc.) [/QUOTE]

I know its important...I hope to hook up with a DTR member to help me give it a once over before I hit the road. I think at first I planned on getting off the plane, jumping in and taking off.
Now I'm trying to do more planning...

[\QUOTE] While its a good idea to bring some things to be ready, it's a bit of a shoot about what you'd actually end up needing. You can't carry every spare part and be prepared for every situation. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I tend to kind of overpack anyways.

Partswise I'm planning on belts, a few strategic light bulbs, oil, water/antifreeze...in my old truck I would have included a thermostat/gasket,
but don't know enuf about this one..

Toolwise its the basics, + a manual...still putting that list together from suggestions here...

And yep, I have a credit card, "just in case"
Old 04-03-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2500
I'm in tulsa.. where are you picking up truck from?
Hi 2500...I'm picking the truck up Thursday 4/4 in Oklahoma City.

I always wanted to get to Tulsa to visit a friend...unfortunately,
this isn't a planned vacation, and we're not going to get over there.

How far is Tulsa from OKC?
Looked like a couple hours to me...
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Re: the ROUTE

(this going to be funny, because the friend I'm going with is the person who i get lost with most often...we're both terrible naviagators, but we always get where we're going and usually have a side adventure en route).

Looks to me like the easiest/best way to go is jump on I-15 South and go till turn off towards Bakersfield, then North to Sacramento.

Was hoping to see the grand canyon, but...

Am I on the right track with this route?
Thinking I might run into some weather....
Old 04-03-2007, 04:35 PM

Tulsa is about 100 miles from OKC the wrong direction.

thought it'd be nice to have a contact, just in case you needed help with truck.

was getting ready to do the exact same thing to florida, until I found my 97 CTD local.

pretty scary flying 1,000+ miles trusting seller to be honest with description. if truck checks out... you should be good to go..

be sure and check ALL fluids before heading out. if you are not sure take it by a local diesel mechanic before parting with your cash.

Originally Posted by barngal6
Hi 2500...I'm picking the truck up Thursday 4/4 in Oklahoma City.

I always wanted to get to Tulsa to visit a friend...unfortunately,
this isn't a planned vacation, and we're not going to get over there.

How far is Tulsa from OKC?
Looked like a couple hours to me...
Old 04-03-2007, 04:58 PM

Keep track of your mileage so you know about when to fill up so you know the fuel gauge is working. 3 days after I got my truck it ran out of fuel with the gauge still showing 1/2 tank.. I'm kinda paranoid about running diesels out of fuel after having to prime the whole fuel system.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:51 AM

Thanks 2500 for the offer to meet and greet--I'm feeling like Oklahoma is a pretty friendly place to go right about now.

I'll let you all know if I got skunked on this deal; I expect some repairs when I purchase a used vehicle, and I judge it by how big a repair to how much I paid...

for this truck, I'm hoping for no major expenses.

I'm getting my bag together today, and trying to figure out how to pack so that mytools travel well and will be easy for airport inspection
AND likely to arrive when I do! I hate checking my tools into baggage..

I've never checked anything into baggage that I couldn't lose before...
even the tools, I guess, are just an inconvenience, but oooohhhhh...

I'll post my tool list for final review and final suggestions later today...

You all have been GREAT, and I feel much more confident about this trip than I would have without your help.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:21 PM

The IR temp is handy to check the tempature of the tires, brakes, hub and stuff. Got mine when pulling a cargo trailer. Got in the habit at each fuel stop. With a duelly if one of the tires was way hot, like 175* and the others were about 130* know there is a problems. Same with wheels and brakes, if one is way hot. Unless you brake hard, the tems are about what the air temp is. Check coolent temp at the output going to the radiator. Should be about 180-190 or so. No need to check that if the temp gauge on the panel is working.
Have good maps, free ones at welcome center are good, and can get advice there on the roads. If you get lost a lot, an inexpensive GPS like a Megellan or Garmin is reasonable at a big sporting goods store. Plugs in the lighter, and suction cup on the windshied, except in CA. but work fine laying on the seat.
Have a safe trip. Never had a problem checking tools on an airline. Always arrived in good shape.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:22 PM

You can easily get paranoid if you try to have a solution for every possible problem you'll ever have! If you're concerned about the weight of the tools you have planned to take, or concerned about the airlines "borrowing" them when their in their control---leave them home.

You've had the truck gone over. That eliminates 95% of possibilities of trouble. All you need is a pliers, adjustable open end wrench (ofter called a crescent), some black electrical tape, and some duct tape and some tranquilizers to ease all the fears generated by your questions!! Oh, and a
extra jacket. It was 28 deg. this morning-but I'm 180miles N. of Ok. City.

Quick Reply: Road Trip! Tools to bring along?