2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

remote programing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote programing

I am kinda new to the DTR but I have been watching the forum for a while now, mostily in the 3rd gen as I have a 07 6.7l on order. I had a 97 3500 for about 3 years and then two years ago I traded it for an 05 Tundra. Nice truck but not a truck and I missed shifting my diesel. So I ordered a new truck. To get to the point I am borrowing a 2000 2500 gasser from my work, a nissan delaer. The truck doesent have a remote with it we just got a key. It has the SLT package and power locks. First will the truck suport remote entrey and will a 97 remote work on a 2000. If so how do you program the remote as I cant stand haveing no keyless entrey
Thanks for the help.
Jeff
Old 05-03-2007, 12:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The simple answer is NO. The remotes differ between those years, so you would not be able to use the older remote on the newer truck. Next, while the 2000 might have the SLT package, that does not necessarily mean it has keyless entry. A Dodge dealer will be able to confirm if it has keyless entry installed on it by the VIN or by hooking up a scanner to it.
If you wish to pursue this, get a remote for a 2000 Ram, it will look sort of like a figure 8 in shape, instead of the square/rectangular shape the eariler trucks used.
PM me if you need a PN, I'll look it up on the back of one of mine for my 99. You take the PN and search for it on eBay to get the right one. You can usually get them dirt-cheap there. I got a coupl of extras for my 99 for 10 bucks each.
You WILL have to take the remote and truck to the dealer to get the remote programmed. Unfortunately there is no way around this since you have no remote now.

Chris
Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM

Thanks I will only have the truck for a few weeks so i will not worry aobut it.
Jeff
Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM

If you have a fob that works, you can program a new one like this:

1) Enter vehicle and close all doors.
2) Fasten seat belt so as to cancel the chime. Tuen the ignition to the "ON" position.
3) Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the programmed fob for 4 seconds. Within 6 seconds with the UNLOCK button still depressed, press the PANIC button. WHen a single chime is heard, release both buttons. The chime indicates the system is in the program mode.
4) Press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simultaneously on the fob to be programmed. A single chime will be heard. This indicates the fob has been recognized.
5) Within 4 seconds of hearing the chime, press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK button and the fob being programmed. A single chime will be heard. This indicates the fob has been programmed.
6) Repeat steps 4 and 5 up to a total of 4 fobs.
7) Turn the ignition OFF.
8) Cycle the ignition or wait 60 seconds. Within this time, the vehicle will exit the program mode, and all fobs should function normally.

NOTE: When entering the program mode using a programmed fob, ALL currently programmed fobs will be erased and will have to be programmed for the vehicle. If the program mode is entered and no action is performed, the previously programmed fobs will continue to function.

But if you don't have one that works, you will have to go to the schtealer like he said.