2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

power amp always on

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power amp always on

I have a drain on my batteries, and found with key off, I always have 13volts on both sides of fuse #4, power amp. I have the Infinity system, and have noticed sometimes with the key off, the radio stays on. Shutting the radio off does not stop the voltage drain. I have not done much investigation or searching for damaged wires yet. Can anyone provide some direction as to what I should look for?
TIA, Tony
Old 08-04-2008, 09:57 PM

Today after work, I hopped in my truck and the CD player was already on (Judas Preist was cranked ), it was off when I left in the morning. Any ideas what I should check?

I have the stock Dodge head unit with Infinity package. I didn't notice the radio coming on without the key until after I installed the A-pillar gauges, not sure if thats coincidence or not. I had to remove the drivers side tweeter and reinstall in the A-pillar pod; it hasnt worked since the gauge install. The passenger side tweeter is working. I tapped power for the pyro from the fuse box (igntion on, #16 IIRC) and the illumination for all 3 gauges is tapped off fuse #5.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 AM

my guess, you probably jumped some hot contact when you tapped for power your pillar gauges. Pull your power taps from your gauges and start over. I'm sure there are not that many wire for hot leads.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:13 AM

I dont think the problem is where i tapped for gauge power, I used a fuse tap right on an ignition hot fuse.

Looks like something in the ignition switch maybe. This morning I shutdown, pulled the key out and the raadio was still on. Windshield wipers worked, I don't think they should work with key off? I pulled the power amp fuse, but the rasio was still going, just not as loud. I then pulled the radio fuse, but the wipers still worked. I also pulled the wire supplying power to the pyro. What surprised me was that the fan did not work thru all this.

I wish I could've messed with it more, but I had to report to work. Any more ideas?
Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM

no key in ignition...
Wipers, yes
radio, yes,
fan, no
power windows, no

I'm confused
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just behind the steering wheel on the column there are some "hands free" switches for the radio. I think all SLT trucks w/the Infinity system had them. I didn't even notice mine until after I changed out my radio. I don't know what each one does but you may want to see if one is stuck, keeping the radio or amp on alll the time. good luck.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:33 AM

where are these hands free switches? i have a slt larime w/infinity and dont see them.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:01 PM

I'll check, but I'm pretty sure mine doesnt have these hands free switches. There is a flimsy empty plastic cover around the base of the steering wheel, then behind that is the column itself with the hazard switch. You might be onto something though...my wipers also work when the key is off, and the fan doesnt have this issue. I'll see if that cover is easily removed and what lies underneath it.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ahopper
where are these hands free switches? i have a slt larime w/infinity and dont see them.
they're almost on the back of the steering wheel. I notice just about everything on my truck and about 8mo after owning it one day when I saw them, I was like "what are those?" Well, that was after I changed out my radio....would of probably used them alot had I not.