2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just joined this site for this subject. I belong to another site and someone gave me this link to this problem.

My 97 has the paint problem you're describing so I followed the instructions from Infidel, the step by step process. I was sent a return e-mail saying they were sorry for my dissasatisfaction with my truck but the warranty was only for 3 years or 36,000 miles. His next step was they referred him to a dealer but I was just flat out rejected. What do I do next?

My truck is white and it's develping penny sized circular spots that are rough and raised and are sort of gray on the perimeter. Some of the spots have peeled away, leaving 3 inches by about 6 inches bare so I've touched it up so that it won't rust.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:51 AM

You guys crack me up . If you bought your truck new i can see a point as to a warranty on the paint but seriously. Do you honestly think your entitled to a factory warranty ? Did you ever wonder why things cost so much ? Its because manufactures get sued and are liable for Sh@% they built 7-8years ago.
Ive been in the Auto paint business for 15yrs and can tell you every manufacture From Chevy to Volvo has had a paint defect at one point or another. You can blame the primer not the paint .Chryslers are notorious for there bad paint for 20yrs or more.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:19 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by TEXASTURBO
You guys crack me up . If you bought your truck new i can see a point as to a warranty on the paint but seriously. Do you honestly think your entitled to a factory warranty ?
Yes. The primer was known to be inferior by Chrysler yet they continued to use it while other manufacturers discontinued it.
You said it yourself .
Chryslers are notorious for there bad paint for 20yrs or more.
The defect began the instant they painted the truck, which is well within the warranty period, it just took a long time for the effects to show up.
This has stood up in court in most all 50 states.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:48 AM

Originally posted by TEXASTURBO
You guys crack me up . If you bought your truck new i can see a point as to a warranty on the paint but seriously. Do you honestly think your entitled to a factory warranty ? Did you ever wonder why things cost so much ? Its because manufactures get sued and are liable for Sh@% they built 7-8years ago.
Ive been in the Auto paint business for 15yrs and can tell you every manufacture From Chevy to Volvo has had a paint defect at one point or another. You can blame the primer not the paint .Chryslers are notorious for there bad paint for 20yrs or more.

well, i know its a different manufacturer - but i bought a used 1989 chevy celeberty years ago( had 30k when i bought it). 2 years after i bought it, it started peeling so i asked the dealership about it when it was in for service. they contacted g.m. for me and g.m. warranted the new paint job 100%. the dealership repainted the car-then it started peeling again! so, a phone call to g.m. by me this time and they warranted it again and paid 100% for me to take it to a body shop of ''my choice''. this time, they paid the additional money for the car to be stripped down to the bare metal. the good news is that it took about 8 years to peel after that! its a cost of doing normal business for them - like anything else. look how many other defects they must cover from poor designing, etc. i usually keep my vehicles for a long time- and do my best to take care of them internally and externally- why should i pay so much for a vehicle just to have it end-up looking like s#$t through no fault of my own- if they wouldn't have skimped on something in the first place- i wouldnt be facing this issue. when / if my 1997 peels or bubbles , darn straight i'll be first in line at the small claims court!
Old 03-21-2004, 08:22 PM

The manufactures arent skimping on materials ,You can blame the EPA for making the manufactures use untested Waterbased primers and less toxic chemicals. HAs nothing at all to do with poor craftsmanship or cheap materials , The products were and are made to break down ,Bio-degradable materials are used to make paint now. Unless you get an aftermarket paint job. Just look at it this way spend $500-? On (Custom)performance aftermarket parts. Spend $0000 on paint that is (Custom) High Performance like a Industrial Urethane ,or epoxy. This is what they use on Fleet vehicles such as Semis.
On another note I have a 87 Dodge Shelby GLHS that was painted along with 1thousand other # cars , Im sure you couldnt find another 87 chrysler anywhere with factory paint that looks as good as what mine does ? WHy because it was painted with PPG paint not factory spec paint. Dont get me wrong if you have your car painted by the dealer they might use quality paint materials maybe not?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Tex, you're right about the EPA causing the original problem but why did Chrysler continue using the inferior paint when the other two brands stopped right away?
Also why did the other two manufacturers make it somewhat easy to get the paint problem taken care of while Chrysler makes you jump though hoops?
My feeling is the problem boils down greed on Chrysler's part.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:52 AM

Infedel , you have a good point , Chrysler has until recent years been kinda behind in there paint department , But they have always been the trend setter in the past with new ideas , Funny as it may seem ,Just look back the 60s and 70s None of the other manufactures would have dared paint there factory cars Plum Crazy Purple ,Or PeeGreen ,Orange , Until today were its trendy, They honestly do make and have made so many specialties and different varieties they probably have a hard time figuring out what they did and what they did wrong or right,
And yes its all about the money...
Old 03-23-2004, 05:13 AM

Texas.......I bought my truck new and have had this trouble from the day got it. I didn't see it till I washed it the first time. That was 8 years ago and all I got from the dealer is "what"! Now I go to court. I tried buffing, every wax known to man, and a fool proof cleaner that was fooled. It's time.

..Preston..