2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

paint problems

Old 02-18-2004, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yamadad,

The hazy clear coat you are describing is due to the fact that there is probably not much clear coat left. If it looks like fine "cobwebs" in the paint, then you just have fine scratches and they can probably be buffed out. Normally, a hazy or chalk like finish means that the clear coat is done, gone, caput. Call your dealer, or look at the posts by Infidel, great stuff BTW.
Old 02-18-2004, 04:11 PM

My truck isn't exactly fogging, but if you look at the difference between the door jams and the side of the truck you can tell how much it has faded. I have waxed my truck every two months since new. This paint problem really has me fired up.

Curt
Old 02-19-2004, 12:35 AM

I am having the same problems. Anyone have any information for Canadian trucks?

Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 01:18 AM

Originally posted by Muttface
My truck isn't exactly fogging, but if you look at the difference between the door jams and the side of the truck you can tell how much it has faded. I have waxed my truck every two months since new. This paint problem really has me fired up.

Curt
I don't have an explaination as to why your truck is fading...you should fill out your signature so that we know what kind of truck you have.

You should have a base-coat clear coat paint on your truck, with an older solid color, ie..red/black/white, there is a possibility that it was painted with an enamel, which would fade. I've NEVER heard of a BC/CC fading. The clear coat can degrade to the point of giving you a chalky/milky-white appearance, but by then the paint is so shot, you might as well take it off and start over.

I've been in the collision repair industry since the early BC/CC finishes first started appearing and while they have improved considerably, THE BIG 3 have continually found a way to put less and less paint on their vehicles.

Any possibility a portion of your vehicle has been repaired?
Old 02-19-2004, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by Rattlerattle
I am having the same problems. Anyone have any information for Canadian trucks?

Thanks
My silver truck started to fog, then fleck, then peel after three months. The dealer did a poor here and there paint cover-up.
Now the Black paint has disappeared from all of the flat surfaces.

Oh well...
Old 02-19-2004, 07:55 AM

Magnum,

My truck has never been repaired. It is a 1999, Flame Red. It will be 5 years old this April. I first noticed the little bubbles in the paint about 6 months ago. I really didn't notice the fading until I went to local get- togetter. There were two other 1999 flame red trucks there. I couldn't believe the difference in the color. Mine looked almost pink compared to theirs.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by Muttface
Magnum,

My truck has never been repaired. It is a 1999, Flame Red. It will be 5 years old this April. I first noticed the little bubbles in the paint about 6 months ago. I really didn't notice the fading until I went to local get- togetter. There were two other 1999 flame red trucks there. I couldn't believe the difference in the color. Mine looked almost pink compared to theirs.
There should be a series of letter 3 in a row stamped on a metal tag on your radiator core support, probably on the right side. See if you can get me those numbers. They also might be inside the left door on a sticker.....again 3 letters for example PTO, or PUR, whatever. Let me know and I'll try and see if it's an enamel.

Also if you have Basecoat/clear coat (BC/CC) any scratches in the paint would appear WHITE in color.
Old 02-19-2004, 06:10 PM

Magnum,

I can't find any letters like that. I am sure it is a base coat and clear coat. Every little scratch shows up as white. The paint code says PR4.

Would a milky clearcoat make the truck look like it's faded???

I am going to get two estimates tomorrow and then I am going to call the paint resolution group.
Thanks for your help
Curt
Old 02-19-2004, 10:45 PM

Not tryin to hijack this thread,but i've got a 97(bought late 97) thats rustin through on the bottom off the doors and rockers.What was the original warranty on the paint? Do i have any recourse on the rusting through problem?I'd really like to get the rust fixed up and repainted before it goes to far.
thanks.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:09 AM

Cletus,

I'm not exactly sure what the rust through warranty is that Dodge has, I know another corporation that's warranty was 6yrs, 100,000 miles.

FYI--Rust really doesn't fall into the paint problem catagory, which has always seemed funny to me......because it readily affects the paints ability to stick to the metal, besides offering the metal protection against rust. So NORMAL average people would think that it would go hand in hand.

I guess that's why they don't pay me the big bucks......anyway, I would try and talk to somebody about your problem. I know that my truck's tailgate is already has rust "bubbling" showing up on the lower skin on the inside, which is the same place that your doors started their process also. Last time I was in for all my trouble, the dealer stated to me the key words, "Rust through" evidently meaning to me that it didn't have a hole......yet......

Which brings me to another VENT.....RANT.... What the heck does mileage have to do with rust through? I mean, I have owned my truck for 2 1/2 years......I'm almost to 85,000 miles....I figure that I'll easily have 100,000 miles on before its 3yrs old......Sept of 2004. So even with a 6 or 7 year warranty on rust perforation, I'd be SOL.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:08 AM

Clearcoat

I have the same clearcoat problem on my '97. Dark green color. The clear is badly faded on the roof and hood. The previous owner told me it had something to do with the way the basecoat was cured (or not cured) before the clear was applied. I need to get a quote on getting it fixed, but I don't want the truck to look like it's been painted.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:38 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
anvilt, just take the time to follow the steps outlined here and have the entire truck repainted on DC's dime

http://www.theinfomaniac.net/infoman...tepByStep.html
Old 02-23-2004, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by infidel
Found this step by step that explains how I got my truck repainted for free-
http://www.theinfomaniac.net/infoman...tepByStep.html

Bill,
Sent you a Private message.
Old 02-27-2004, 07:02 PM

I had the same problem with my 91 dodge, but i had it repainted which ended up costing me 1200 bucks, a buddy of mine did it for me. is there any way i can reclaim this money. if anyone knows, please help me out.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:36 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by bigred496
I had the same problem with my 91 dodge, but i had it repainted which ended up costing me 1200 bucks, a buddy of mine did it for me. is there any way i can reclaim this money. if anyone knows, please help me out.
You would have to have proof that the paint was peeling. Pictures or a letter from the guy who painted it would work. Then you could follow the instructions in the link above.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: paint problems