2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

New BFG ATs wearing wierd?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New BFG ATs wearing wierd?

Hey fellas,
Just got a new set of BFG ATs cuz my last set of nittos wore out fast. The fronts wore out because of allignment probs and rears wore out in the center due to too much air...........I think .

Well, of course now ive got my nice new BFGs $$$$$$ Im checking the wear VERY closely and I need to do a front end alignment ASAP, BUT my rears are feathering in the center. Dropped the press. from 40psi to 30psi..... Still feathering. I realy hope these tires dont wear out in the center like my old ones did!!!!!!!!! These things took a big chunk out of my wallet

What do I do? I cant imagine droppin to 25 psi?????? NOTE: ONLY the rears are feathering in the center, front are fine besides needing an alignment.

Tires are 265/75/16 BFG AT Load R: D Thanks- JAKE
Old 10-25-2006, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My fronts always feather. I rotate front to rear to even them out. Wierd that your rears are the culprit...
Old 10-25-2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by DZLPWR
Hey fellas,
Just got a new set of BFG ATs cuz my last set of nittos wore out fast. The fronts wore out because of allignment probs and rears wore out in the center due to too much air...........I think .

Well, of course now ive got my nice new BFGs $$$$$$ Im checking the wear VERY closely and I need to do a front end alignment ASAP, BUT my rears are feathering in the center. Dropped the press. from 40psi to 30psi..... Still feathering. I realy hope these tires dont wear out in the center like my old ones did!!!!!!!!! These things took a big chunk out of my wallet

What do I do? I cant imagine droppin to 25 psi?????? NOTE: ONLY the rears are feathering in the center, front are fine besides needing an alignment.

Tires are 265/75/16 BFG AT Load R: D Thanks- JAKE

If they are feathering in the rear center you need to accellerate slower or stop easier!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:38 PM

Sounds like you might need some shocks on the rear, maybe the tires are barely "hopping" as your driving along-----you could possibly have some one follow you and keep an eye on the tires.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:21 AM

I've grown to really dislike the BFG ATs and in fact, BFG tires in general.

My tires were WAY out of balance when new, they wore funny and about half way through their service life, their balance point drastically shifted. I actually ended up needing MORE weight, about 100 degrees around from where the original weighs were. I'm sure the fact that they are, and always have been, out of round doesnt help this any.

Anyway I need new tires before winter hits and I'm going to go with Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs. I've heard they are the cat's meow.

Failing that I will put on the absolute garbage BFG Commercial TAs that came with my truck. They have awful traction in all conditions but are hard as rocks, wear like rocks and most importantly, they are extremely predictable. My BFG ATs don’t grip all that well, and when they let go, there is no control until you have scrubbed off a TON of speed which can get you killed. I even tried spinning them while out of control to throw off any snow pack that might be killing my traction and maybe to sort of pull me in the direction I wanted to go but it was hopeless.

The Commercial TAs slid all over the place but you could at least steer it. I got to the point where if no one was around, it was easier to just point the nose where I wanted to go and effectively “drift” around any corners I came to. Matter of fact, I was so bummed out by this last set of tires that I’m tempted to go back to those. After all, they are around $150 less than the Bridgestone’s and are not new to me.

Anyway, tire rant aside.

My suggestion is, if they are bothering you, have a tire place take the worst one off, balance the wheel itself and that will let you know how out of balance the tire is.

I’ve sent many tires back to the company because they were unacceptably out of balance.