2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

my truck is killing factory radios

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck is killing factory radios

on my 2nd factory radio and its beginning to do the same thing as the last. it will cut out after a certain amount of time and you get no more sound. i have no idea what exactly is causing this but i figure replacing all of my crap speakers and factory radio along with wiring at once will probably do the trick. that being said what sizes are the rams speakers i have 2 in the doors and 1 behind the driver down low. the doors have the infinity logo on them so it most likely had the premium sound package.....not so premium anymore
Old 06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speakers are 6.5" round speakers in the front doors and 6" x 9" in the rear doors. Search this forum for 'Speaker Sizes' and you will see my thread from a year and a half ago about this very topic.

When I replaced my stuff I put in a new radio, powered in-cab antenna, new speakers and new wires all around. It was a much bigger job than I thought it was going to be. The Infinity speaker wires are very thin and won't work for an aftermarket stereo. Expect most of the door panel fasteners to break too. I think I replaced 12 or 16 of the little plastic Christmas tree things that hold the door panels on. It took me a day and a half to do the whole job, but I had to go into town for things like the door panel fasteners.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I got my truck, the speaker in drivers side door didnīt work, later I when I was fixing the rusty doors a piece of metal fell out, turned out to be a part of the windowframe from inside the door.
I didnīt mind it, just kinda explained why that speaker didnīt work, it still doesnīt, but if yours are the same, thereīs a chance itīs hanging on the wires inside the door, and that could kill any radio, I guess.

My radio sometimes quits too, but it has a reset button thatīll fix it, I have no idea why it sometimes dies, but the reset button fixes it...

Slev