2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

My truck got hit by lightning.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck got hit by lightning.

Hi,

Night before last here at the campground we had a very bad thunderstorm. The next morning I went out and saw the entire passenger side window of my topper was blown out. I couldn't find what broke it out so I just assumed something had hit it. Well today after cleaning up the glass I decided to crank the truck. She cranks fine but If I even slightly touch the accelerator pedal the RPM's jump to about 1000.

I tested other things like the AC/Radio/Compass/lights and all are working. I also disconnected the batteries for a hour then reconnected and calibrated the APPS but no luck. The reason I believe Lighting was the cause is I can't find anything else that broke out the topper window and my RV antenna is shot as well as my outside power bar. The 110 outlet on the Park pole was burnt up as well. I'm waiting on my insurance adjuster to call me back so I thought I'd post this and see if anyone had any ideas what might have gone out on the truck?

Edit: I have a Dodge 98.5 Ram 2500 24V

Thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
With luck like that you better buy a power-ball ticket..
Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I thought you were gonna tell us you got hit by Lightning McQueen!!

He should have pretty good insurance...

Probably cooked your ECM, PCM and any other sensitive sensors.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow, too bad. Yeah, make sure you get insurance involved. While there might be very little visible damage, as mentioned most or all of the electronic modules on your truck are likely damaged. I hope the repair process goes smoothly.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:49 AM

If lightning hit that close I don't know how you slept through it.

Floyd
Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackimpala
If lightning hit that close I don't know how you slept through it.

Floyd

LOL. I was a career firefighter and the engine crew could never figure out how I could sleep through the tapout when they had a call and we (truck crew) didn't and especially how quickly I could fall asleep. I would just grin, shrug my shoulders and say "clear conscience".
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
LOL. I was a career firefighter and the engine crew could never figure out how I could sleep through the tapout when they had a call and we (truck crew) didn't and especially how quickly I could fall asleep. I would just grin, shrug my shoulders and say "clear conscience".
This explains a LOT. For those of you not in the firefighting field, truckies are a very strange bunch. They generally drag a 'can', (pressurized water fire extinguisher), with them wherever they go and think it will knock down any fire smaller than a 10 story, fully involved industrial complex, then yell for the engine companies to save them when they realize it won't. AGAIN!
Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Man, sorry to hear that. I would think there would have been some burnt area on the topper or some kind of strike evident in that area? Any burnt smell to anything?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chaikwa-Know what you mean. Had a dip of a fire chief that thought a Co2 would solve everything, until he shot it into a electrical box. His nip's glowed for over a month after that one.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
This explains a LOT. For those of you not in the firefighting field, truckies are a very strange bunch. They generally drag a 'can', (pressurized water fire extinguisher), with them wherever they go and think it will knock down any fire smaller than a 10 story, fully involved industrial complex, then yell for the engine companies to save them when they realize it won't. AGAIN!
LOL. I did spend not all but most of 27 years as a truckie. I will say the only time I carried a pump can was on the Jeep when patrolling Forest Park in PDX. Years ago truckman did respond with a pump can but eventually that went by the wayside, soon after I was on a truck. I do recall 1 truck I was assigned to had a 200 gallon tank and booster pump. We were first to arrive on a house with smoke showing and had it out and recalled before anyone else arrived. Obviously it was not a real large fire but we got 'er done and made our day---being truckies. BTW SOP was for a truckman to ALWAYS respond with an axle on any kind of fire call.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
LOL. I did spend not all but most of 27 years as a truckie. I will say the only time I carried a pump can was on the Jeep when patrolling Forest Park in PDX. Years ago truckman did respond with a pump can but eventually that went by the wayside, soon after I was on a truck. I do recall 1 truck I was assigned to had a 200 gallon tank and booster pump. We were first to arrive on a house with smoke showing and had it out and recalled before anyone else arrived. Obviously it was not a real large fire but we got 'er done and made our day---being truckies. BTW SOP was for a truckman to ALWAYS respond with an axle on any kind of fire call.
Member HvyTrkMech here is a truckie in Massachusetts. Don't try and take HIS can away, he'll kill ya!

I hear you on the SOP. The department I was with still has a similar policy. You gotta be carrying SOMETHING!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, You gotta look like your doeing somthing to the pub..
Old 06-20-2012, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TheWaterman1000
True, You gotta look like your doeing somthing to the pub..
That's true too, but I think the policy was started due to the fact that if you're going to be doing a search, or venting a roof, or ANYTHING truck related, you will need some kind of tool. It may not be the right one for the application, but you'll have a tool!
Old 06-22-2012, 12:50 AM

Member HvyTrkMech here is a truckie in Massachusetts. Don't try and take HIS can away, he'll kill ya!

I hear you on the SOP. The department I was with still has a similar policy. You gotta be carrying SOMETHING!
More than one good guy around here!

That's true too, but I think the policy was started due to the fact that if you're going to be doing a search, or venting a roof, or ANYTHING truck related, you will need some kind of tool. It may not be the right one for the application, but you'll have a tool!
Don't leave home without it! Most any real fire I was usually on the roof not only with my axe but also a chain saw. Venting is much easier with the saw. We went to positive pressure ventilation while I was still around and seemed to work pretty well and that ended most of the vent holes on single family structures.