2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Light upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light upgrades

My stock lights currently suck.

What are some good light upgrades? Ideally, I'd like nice, clear, crisp light like you get from new vehicles, with a well defined pattern, etc. (insert drool).

Having said that, I don't want to spend a whole tonne...

My current lights are probably ready for the garbage... the adjuster is seized on one, the lenses are hazed, etc.

Are the ones off of Ebay any good?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 PM

Scott,

Try here. http://www.importvision.com/index.ph...ype=Headlights I have these with a harness. I run it with 2 bulbs on per side low beam and high beam.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 03-19-2007, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I switched to the sport headlights on my 1997 last November. One of the best upgrades I’ve done. In fact, I find myself looking behind me to see who is coming since I’m not used to all the extra light up there. They are definitely brighter.

I picked up the headlights in the classifieds and I used the plug and play SUV harnesses (one per side). I did have to remove some of the headlight bucket to make room for the extra bulb. Not a bad job though - I used a die grinder. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

T-Bone
Old 03-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Get driving lights. Other than that there's really nothing that's gonna make a whole lot of difference. HID's will make the beam pattern worse with no significant gain in visibility in reflector housings that aren't made for them (plus it's illegal).
Old 03-20-2007, 09:51 AM
xmr

Slowflyer which ones did you get. the ram headlights or the sport headlights?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:55 AM

I have the sport with 2 suv wiring harnesses. All four bulbs are on all the time.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 10 forward-facing filaments in the '98... it's an effective (if cheap) solution to insufficient OEM lighting.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by slowflyer2112
I have the sport with 2 suv wiring harnesses. All four bulbs are on all the time.
In each headlight, isn't one bulb for high beams?
Old 03-26-2007, 01:09 PM

Is there really a need for the harness, or is it just the lazy man's way of saving time wiring it himself?

$133 buys some pretty sweet relays... and if I make it myself, then I get an exact fit.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:55 PM

I have never bought a wiring harness (unless is comes with whatever I'm buying). I always make my own. I usually have 9004 sockets and relays laying around, then I go to Home Depot and get 10 gauge wire, wire connectors, and insulator. The male bulb socket is very hard to find. I think www.suvlights.com sells them. But even that you could make. I take an old halogen bulb, cut off the socket part and solder wires to it.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:23 PM

I made my own too. I used two Bosch relays per side, male and female 9004/7 connectors. For the four relays, the six headlight socket connectors, the fuse holders, and all the wire, I spend about $70. Suvlights.com has the exact harness that I made for $133, since it took me over a day of cutting, crimping, and soldering, I think next time I'm just going to spend the extra $60 and just buy the plug and play harness. It just wasn't worth my time, especially since I did both of my trucks. However, if you want the pride and satisfaction of doing it yourself, go for it, you can buy all the sockets and relays from suvlights.com.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:10 PM

I had to replace my headlights and ordered these. They look like the sport but use only one bulb. They look pretty sweet. I also ordered the clear corners.http://www2.partstrain.com/products/...sku=DG9402CCHL
Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by DL1221
I made my own too. I used two Bosch relays per side, male and female 9004/7 connectors. For the four relays, the six headlight socket connectors, the fuse holders, and all the wire, I spend about $70. Suvlights.com has the exact harness that I made for $133, since it took me over a day of cutting, crimping, and soldering, I think next time I'm just going to spend the extra $60 and just buy the plug and play harness. It just wasn't worth my time, especially since I did both of my trucks. However, if you want the pride and satisfaction of doing it yourself, go for it, you can buy all the sockets and relays from suvlights.com.
I think the suvlights.com one only had one relay per circuit - so you're doing better already! (more redundancy, I think I'll build the two sides separately, so if one fuse blows, a relay blows, etc., you don't lose all the lights that were on at the time). I'll probably chop the factory connector and solder straight into their wiring harness - although it is nice to leave things in an easy to return to stock way, that leaves more potential for rotting connectors while adding cost. I also doubt the lights would ever be returned to stock. I also found the bits and pieces on suvlights.com to be relatively expensive.

@TXCTD01: I want the 2 bulber's for extra light.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by ScottN
I think the suvlights.com one only had one relay per circuit - so you're doing better already! (more redundancy, I think I'll build the two sides separately, so if one fuse blows, a relay blows, etc., you don't lose all the lights that were on at the time). I'll probably chop the factory connector and solder straight into their wiring harness - although it is nice to leave things in an easy to return to stock way, that leaves more potential for rotting connectors while adding cost. I also doubt the lights would ever be returned to stock. I also found the bits and pieces on suvlights.com to be relatively expensive.

@TXCTD01: I want the 2 bulber's for extra light.
Yup, having two relays per side allows me to keep the side-to-side redundancy that the factory had incorporated, if one side has a problem the other side is completely independent. Suvlights.com actually has two wiring harnesses, the $133 harness is exactly the same as mine, right down to the fuses:

http://www.suvlights.com/product_inf...roducts_id=116

they also have the two relay harness, that you describe. The other nice thing about using four relays is that since we have dual batteries, there are no extra wires to cross the radiator, so in effect you have two little wiring harnesses.

I used the matching male 9004 connector so I could keep the factory female 9004 connectors, mostly so I could return to stock. But you are right, that extra connector sure has the potential to corrode the terminals, especially since it is not an insulated weather pack connector. Now that I think about it more, I should done it your way just cut the factory harness and attach it directly to the relays, I mounted the relays on the fender next to the batteries so there is plenty of room. Oh one more thing, don't use cheap relays, I used Bosch (made in Germany) relays which are high quality, continuous duty, used by the OEM. Good luck.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 PM

Go to www.danielsternlighting.com for all your questions and supplies. He will personally answer questions, especially about the sport conversion.

Quick Reply: Light upgrades