Leaf Spring spacer for helper springs - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Leaf Spring spacer for helper springs

Old 02-24-2018, 04:29 AM   #1  

Leaf Spring spacer for helper springs

I removed my original leaf springs shortly after buying my 2500 truck new. So things have changed and I am reinstalling the original leafs and camper helper springs. My issue is for some reason the helpers are only off the stops 1/2 " with only a tool box in the bed. I've read where some people have inches of free play and others have minimal like myself.

My question is, would it be okay to remove the 1" spacer that sits on top of the regular pack and under the camper helper springs? This would give me 1.5" of clearance until the helpers hit the framer stops. Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dan
ROADWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 06:04 PM   #2  

That may certainly help keep the overloads delayed, but you probably have sagged springs. Around me there are a few spring shops that will re-arch your existing springs. Prices vary but it is usually a little cheaper than a new main leaf pack.
gorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 03:44 AM   #3  

I'm not sure if the springs are sagged or not. They have less than 40k miles on them with little towing. When I was getting new u-bolts at the spring shop, I looked at the spec. for the spring arch and I believe it was 7". I measured mine and they were 6.75". Installed in the truck, my rear sits 2.25 inches higher with a full tank of fuel and my tools. Does this sound about right?

Thanks,
Dan
ROADWARRIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:19 PM   #4  

Years ago, a spring shop told me they normally install the frame stops after the truck is sitting at empty ride height... with about a 2x4's thickness (1.5") before they contact.

When I got my W250, the leafs had sagged so there was only 1/4-1/2" of travel before the overloads (4-leaf) contacted. It was brutal. Especially speed-bumps.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote