2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Are K+N filters that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
Well I appreciate the input, but from my tests I haven't found a spec of dirt/dust come through it, so I'll keep running it. I usually don't drive in super dusty environments, that's what the company trucks are for.
I hear you, and the Dodge part of the truck will likely fail before the Cummins ever wears out, dust or no dust.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Would these be oil analysis tests? Its the dirt you can't see that eats your engine.
----------------------------------------
As I have posted, in ALL of my Dodge CTD Pickups, I use the oil analysis' results to back up what I have been saying for years about the K&N Filters.
I still believe they get a "bad rap" because of the improper cleaning and oiling procedures by diesel truck owners. I have witnessed first hand at rallies, diesel events etc. But if our Members don't like them there are certainly alot of other options available including the stock OEM Filters.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I still believe they get a "bad rap" because of the improper cleaning and oiling procedures by diesel truck owners.
Personally I think more of the bad rap comes from people who have never used a K&N and are just parroting negative comments they read on the internet.
More of a untrue rumor than bad rap.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:51 AM

If the oiled gauze filter were so bad there would not be 3 other companies marketing them to turbo diesel owners.
Been running a drop-in since 6 months after I got the truck. Only cleaned and oiled it 1 time - did however switch back to stock paper for a while since the filter kit from Cummins had one in it free.
Never found "dirt" particles past the filter but I have seen residue on the compressor fins - oil looking residue. Figured I'd over oiled it, then read the online complaints.
Now with much more knowledge in my head- considering the propensity for the average individual to screw up anything that can possibly be screwed up when left alone I agree it's more likely user error. Also, considering the testing that the stock box and paper filter is good for 500 hp and knowing a clogged K&N will still flow better than a clogged paper filter I'm fine with it.

Keep in mind, unless your filter minder moves there is not enough restriction to worry about relating to the filter no matter what kind you have in there. My filter minder has NEVER moved no matter what the filter looked like - and I used to drive on Maine logging roads regularly - lots of dust- the kind that plugs filters.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had K&N, AFE and now UNI as well as BHAF. The K&N I had was a drum filter for my 89,93 trucks and it did work well, serviced as recommended. But that was many years ago before the company re-structured. Also my 96 V8 Dodge had a K&N that I got from the Dodge parts counter, yes Dodge did sell K&N at one time.

The main cause I have with K&N was about 8 years ago when they changed hands and the quality started to drop. The old Scotty air systems used the 0880 K&N filter at first and it was good until that time then they started to fail, collapse, perforate and the change had to be made to AFE (old K&N crew) and all was good again.

There are others out there, but even AFE realized the shortcomings of the single Gauze membrane and came out with newer versions like the ProGuard 7 to take care of that.

Ultimately its what the owner decides and is comfortable with.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Personally I think more of the bad rap comes from people who have never used a K&N and are just parroting negative comments they read on the internet.
More of a untrue rumor than bad rap.
No unfornately it's people who don't take the time to properly educate themselves on a subject. Read the link, provided, in Nickg's or my post.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Boy oh boy, didn't mean to start a war here. Tried reading the link to the duramax page, couldn't pull up any graphs/images so I didn't read it. I personally don't buy into those test studies all the time, I remember reading one about the different fuel additives. Lucas had one of the worst "test" results, but just about anyone you talk to says it works. Too many variables in the real world for many aspects of those tests to be accurate. I'll send out an oil sample tomorrow, have always been curious anyway. And I don't drink anything unless I find it my dammed self.
Old 03-04-2011, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gorms
Boy oh boy, didn't mean to start a war here. Tried reading the link to the duramax page, couldn't pull up any graphs/images so I didn't read it. I personally don't buy into those test studies all the time, I remember reading one about the different fuel additives. Lucas had one of the worst "test" results, but just about anyone you talk to says it works. Too many variables in the real world for many aspects of those tests to be accurate. I'll send out an oil sample tomorrow, have always been curious anyway. And I don't drink anything unless I find it my dammed self.
-----------
gorms:

You didn't start a war Sir.

Believe me, this thread and the posts were mild compared to some I have seen on K&N Filters!

FWIW,....K&N did 20 million in sales last and AFE did around 10 million, so these filters aren't going anywhere.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
-----------
gorms:

You didn't start a war Sir.

Believe me, this thread and the posts were mild compared to some I have seen on K&N Filters!
This "war" has been going on ever since the first CTD internet forums appeared in the late '90s.
Add it to syn vs dino oil, auto vs manual, 12 vs 24 valve, etc, etc, etc.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:03 AM

Wow, never knew AFE was the old K&N crew - good info. My K&N is and old one- 1998 ish and have had no reason to look for another one...lol.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by infidel
This "war" has been going on ever since the first CTD internet forums appeared in the late '90s.
Add it to syn vs dino oil, auto vs manual, 12 vs 24 valve, etc, etc, etc.
----------------------------------------------
Exactly right Bill!