2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

I just screwed up

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just screwed up

Just locked my keys in with engine running, busted out the rear quad cab window thinking it was the smallest to replace. Upon looking at it, it's probably the most expensive. Any ideas what this will cost me
Old 10-03-2004, 03:59 PM

That is the reason I ALWAYS carry a spare key. Did it myself years ago and I was about 50 miles from nowhere.............
Old 10-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, don't have any idea what it will cost,
but I think you're right, it is one of the most expensive.

Some have broken out 1 pane of the sliding rear window, thinking that would be cheapest to replace,
only to find out you can't replace one pane, you have to replace the whole rear window.

I'd say, for future reference, the cheapest window to replace (short of the windshield)
is the passenger side window.
(posted for others, as I'm sure you won't make that mistake again)

Windsheiled being the cheapest due to supply and demand.

Driver side and passenger side are most likely the same cost, but who wants to sit on shards of glass while driving home or to the glass shop.

My son locked mine in with it running once.
I was about 20 miles from home, had to call and have someone run me my backup set of keys.
I'm sure I could have broken the rear slider plastic lock dealy, but once you break in that way, it never shuts properly again.

I now have my alarm/turbo timer. I never leave the vehicle without the keys in my hand.
If I am making a short stop, I just activate the timer, take key and hop out, locking the door behind me.

phox
Old 10-03-2004, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't feel bad, I did this on my wifes minivan a few years ago. Stopped alongside the road 30 miles from nowhere to, of all things, take a picture of a stupid groundhog sitting up on a stump. Engine running, ac on, stereo blasting, and all. Blew out the sliding glass door window with a huge rock to get back in. Still got the rock to remind me how stupid that was.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:39 PM

I carry a spare in my wallet. Good thing, too. I've bumped the door lock while getting out of the truck (unknowingly), and the passenger door was still locked. Still annoying, but at least I can still get in.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:46 PM

Sorry to hear that did the same thing at a boat launch in Northern Saskatchewan. Alot of ****** off people waiting for me as I screwed around for an hour before breaking drivers side window. only $168.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:05 PM
CJ

I had a similar experience a few months ago. Was working night shift, got off at 6am and locked my keys in the truck. Momma was not to happy about getting the kids out of bed on a sunday morning to run me a spare( about 30 miles one way) I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole in the frame under the bed and mounting a key w/ a bolt and a wing nut to the inside of the frame. Has already saved my bacon once. Some guys just don't learn. CJ
Old 10-03-2004, 06:16 PM

Years ago I was out in Florida with my dad looking at some land miles and miles and miles from anything. This was in the days before everyone and their dog had a cell-phone. Got out of the rental car with the windows down and tossed the keys on the dash. Wouldn't you know it, they fell down the defroster vent. We ended up walking around and around for hours until one of us found a piece of wire on the ground. Got the wire and fished the keys out. Since then I NEVER leave my keys in a vehicle, always in my pocket.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Banned

I use a caribeaner as a key chain... I have multiple sets of keys on it, including two truck keys and toolbox keys... it's hooked to my jeans at all times.

after you get locked out ONCE, you tend to make an effort to not let it happen again! LOL! BTDT

Forrest
Old 10-03-2004, 06:52 PM

thats why i have one of those magnetic key holders hidden on my truck, its helped once or twice.......whoops
Old 10-03-2004, 07:06 PM

I think I would of called a lock service before i broke a window...
Old 10-03-2004, 07:12 PM
Banned

a locksmith will cost you $50-75 and will take a while to get there... you can get a door window at the junkyard for $25-30 and you're in your truck immediately.

replacing a window on these trucks takes about 10 minutes.

hopefully it'll never happen again, but definately break a front door window, and not a quad or x-cab window if it does

Forrest
Old 10-03-2004, 08:04 PM

Man, if I was near a phone, of course I woulda called for help. Cell phone locked in truck. Anyone know what this quad cab window costs?
Old 10-03-2004, 11:07 PM

ouch. I guess it does'nt help that they took all the key holes out except the driver side door. I think I might just keep a coat hanger in the back. Or the hideaway thing screwed and mounted to the frame somwhere. I'd keep this key in my billfold if it was'nt so stinkin fat!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally posted by CJ
I had a similar experience a few months ago. Was working night shift, got off at 6am and locked my keys in the truck. Momma was not to happy about getting the kids out of bed on a sunday morning to run me a spare( about 30 miles one way) I ended up drilling a 1/4" hole in the frame under the bed and mounting a key w/ a bolt and a wing nut to the inside of the frame. Has already saved my bacon once. Some guys just don't learn. CJ
I really like that idea. I had to pay a locksmith to unlock me once. Wasn't fun waitin for him with the engine idling for almost 1/2 hour.

Quick Reply: I just screwed up