2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

How to make it ride like an SUV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 02:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to make it ride like an SUV?

I think my trackbar is shot because I'm getting early symptoms of death wobble. So now I want to start replacing parts but I want to make a wise and efficient investment because there's a lot of other stuff I want for the truck (exhaust, tranny, etc.). I wouldn't mind getting a little lift while I'm at it... I want a softer ride like an SUV. What's the cheapest route to a better ride?

I don't tow at all right now. Maybe in the future I'll get a trailer, I don't know...
Old 05-30-2006, 06:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You are driving a 3/4 ton truck not an SUV.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:28 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Trade it on an SUV. Center of gravity, a super light tail end and very heavy front (CUMMINS) are going to make it tough to smooth out. Running your rear tires down a few pounds might help, but not with your mileage.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:05 AM

some ppl say the KORE system smooths them out, but it's like $4k.
Old 05-30-2006, 09:11 AM

contact hoss about one of his concrete bedliners, patent pending
Old 06-01-2006, 10:54 PM

velvet ride

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html

John
Old 06-02-2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Hammily
Has anyone tried these?

John

Seems like a good idea... What I meant by my first post was that I would like the truck to ride more like an SUV, not necessarily "like" an SUV. I just sold me last truck (same thing but 2wd, reg cab), and got this one and this one seems to be a lot bouncier on the highway. That's why I thought my shocks were blown. I'm thinking about getting softer rate springs up front. You think that will help?
Old 06-02-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I added the Rancho adjustable shocks with the "in cab" controls. I have found that I use the adjustabiliy a lot. On the freeway, in 4x4, or a washboard road, I let the air out. On a mountain road or full load, I increase the air. I got them on a huge sale, and I thought it would be some sort of a gimmick, but I have them to be quite useful. A hassle to install, but once done, it has been worth it.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Banned

Air bag all the way around but that ain't cheap.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Easiest method is as suggested above - adjustable shocks, with controller in-cab, where you can reach it.

Pull your shocks off, take a careful ride down the street - lots of soft springy action, no harsh 'snubbing', 'bounce' = easy ride.

4wd and off-road shocks are designed with heavy snubbing action, to keep vehicle from bottoming out in that environment, some with greater that 50-50 action - heavier on the down-snubbing, also.

Adjustable shocks allow you to control the snubbing response, reduce the harsh ride.

Try it - you'll like it.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:59 PM

OK, You have front end problems as you say. Take your truck to someone that will check out the front end. Your local alignment shop (although not free )may enlighten you on your problems. Your life and others are worth alot more than tring to fix any other issue on that vehicle. #1., get all of these safety items done first,these will benefit you and others
Old 08-27-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hammily
Has anyone tried these?

John
Sorry for the late reply, came across this post while doing a "better ride" search.
I bought a similiar set for my 1998 2500. Not hard to install, and they helped some, not as much as I'd hoped. Paid about $75+ tax, made by Dana/Spicer, I think they're called velvet ride.

I'm seriously thinking about putting a set of 1/2 ton leaf springs on my 2002 2500, it's ride is a KILLER !! Did the search hoping to see if anyone had went that route. No big loads carried, and only thing I tow is a 16' aluminum boat, and my 35 horse tractor on an 18' tandem trailer. Would appreciate any input on the spring swap idea.

The rear suspension appears to be much stiffer on the 2002, as compared to the 1998, I know the ride is much rougher, and the difference seems to be in the rear suspension.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
I would not do it. One of the things that let a 2500 and 3500 carry and tow more wieght are the springs (as well as engine, axles, brakes, etc). 1500 springs IMO would be a big step backwards. Your 02 probably has the overload leaf which makes it slighty more stiffer in the back compared to your 98. Mine has the overloads too.

Your tractor easily wieghs 5000 lbs. Plus the trailer whichs adds 3000+. Implements will add to that as well. Your truck can handle that no problem. That would max out a 1500, if not exceed it.

Best advice I can give you is to leave the springs. I have gotten used to the way my truck rides, I barely notice it anymore.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:35 PM

Greetings Jrs_Dodge_Diesel, and thanks for your opinion.
This 2002 is so much stiffer than my 1998 was, I honestly don't care to drive it. Both are/were short bed 4x4 trucks, and your right, the '02 has a helper spring both underneath, and on top of the normal spring pack. Looking at the way they are mounted, I don't think they would affect the ride until I 'm carrying a load. In addition to that, I think the spring pack has one more leaf than my '98 did.

My near future plans trying for a better ride include those torsion shackles, and the largest tires I can fit under it. Am open to any suggestions and willing to try almost anything, within reason, and $. While I value your, and anyone else's opinion on this forum, I'm not going to rule out the lighter leaf springs. I'm actually thinking of going to a local spring shop, and having a set of springs made that would be between the 1/2, and 3/4 ton capacity rating (a 5/8 ton).

Here in Lousy-ana, our shabby highway system is also a big contributor to a rough ride. Too many bad roads to smooth out, so I guess I'll try to improve the ride.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 PM

do a shackle flip. I have 10 inch lift springs and did a shackle flip with longer hangers made for lowering the 2wd's and it rides a lot smoother than stock

Quick Reply: How to make it ride like an SUV?