2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Heater core???? Really??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater core???? Really??

Just got my truck back Tuesday after Christmas where my friend set up the ring/pinion and new carrier. Got money back on my differential because it was not worth driving without all new guts. Drive the truck on Thursday all is well. Go out Friday morning and the "fog" on my windows will not go away and the scent of coolant is in the frosty air.

When I first came here guys would say, "the truck will fall apart around the Cummins". Boy, were they ever right!! So, today is heater core day. Got one with swivels on it, it's what they have in stock, two busy running a business to run all over God's green earth to hunt down a heater core. Was actually going to do evap and core at the same time but the core decided that it has had enough and I've spent more than enough on the Dodge this year. Seems pretty bad since I bought the truck with 69k on it, flushed it and added new Fleetguard coolant near 100-110k and now we have 190k on the clock.

Seems odd to me though. I had a '77 t-bird, would flush it as required. Sold it in 1995 and never once had to do a heater core. Same with an old ford truck, old chevy car, heater cores 15-20 years old and never leak a drop. Dodge just barely made 10 years?

Looks like I'll be doing the LMC dash replacement as well. I can't see this crusty dash making it through this in one piece. I'm going to try as I still have to use this truck for this little thing called work. Thought I'd get to drive the truck for a week or two before something else broke on it. Oh well, what else could I have possibly done on New Years Eve!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just keep up on repairs as they are needed to keep the list small. Just did heater core 2 days ago. Not leaking but tired of little heat. Waiting on back order from Geno's to do some more stuff. I think the OEM front shocks need replaced .
Old 12-31-2011, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess it's still better than going out and spending 30-50K on a new truck. Some people don't mind that, they have 2 incomes, being single myself I try to stay out of debt as much as possible.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Silver R/T
I guess it's still better than going out and spending 30-50K on a new truck.
Hahaha!! Well, if you say so! I've spent more on repairs this year than I would have if I was paying $500 a month for a truck with warranty.

Got everything replaced. Did the evap as well while I was in there. Ordering a new dash pad to fix that. Disconnected my a/c gauges and the darn high side fitting starts blowing freon out. Rubber seal inside is screwed up. So evac the system and replace the line then try again.

Kinda hard to keep up on the list when things are falling off the truck daily! By the time I'm done there won't be a Dodge, it will be an Aftermarket truck that looks like a Dodge!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's another member on here that did a writeup w/pics. He just cut out old heater core and plumbed it in using some rubber lines.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Chapter President

Yeah, I saw that and almost did it but sat there looking at the box and thought, "I better replace the evap while I'm here". So talked myself into doing the evap. If you got the dash pulled back it is one 10mm nut, about 3 screws to move computer and about 4 11mm nuts then 2 a/c hoses and the box comes out. If your a/c leaks down over the year like mine does then you don't have to worry about venting it to atmosphere cause it has nothing in it to vent.