2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

headlights go off and on i replaced the switch now what??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
i changed the bulbs and it still does it.

basically the only thing i haven't changed is the regular headlight switch.
Pull that sucker out and clean the terminals. That sounds like the culprit. I'd take a voltmeter and find which wires are positive (that plug into the back of the headlight switch). Then short 2 of the wires at a time. Maybe your headlights will come on! Then you know it's the switch.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:03 PM

let us know what you find out.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wcbcruzer
Pull that sucker out and clean the terminals. That sounds like the culprit. I'd take a voltmeter and find which wires are positive (that plug into the back of the headlight switch). Then short 2 of the wires at a time. Maybe your headlights will come on! Then you know it's the switch.

dont bother trying to mess with it.
go to autozone or napa and get the headlight pull **** switch.
I just had to replace mine last night.
its very easy to get the dashboard off.
4 screws (ash tray and cupholder), put the wheel and shifter all the way down (need key in ), disconnect the cig lighters, and 3 more screws to get the headlight switch out.

Mine was totally wasted.
it wasnt really burnt, but the plastic connector was wasted.
I just cleaned out the plastic connector and bought a new switch from autozone yesterday for $25 w/ tax.
The job was done in about 15-20 min.
I can all most gaurentee that is your problem.
so far i've done 1 in my old gasser 95 1500 4x4 ram and 1 in this 96 ram 2500 4x4 cummins.

It needs the relay mod to be done to be done correctly.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea last night i was sitting accross the stop lights from a cop and they started doing it off and on off and on and i was like oh great. well he didn't bother me. and then as soon as i got to the shop and stopped the truck the headlights went out completely. i kept playing with the pull **** but that didn't matter. i could pull the dimmer for the brights an they would come on if i held it though and as soon as i let it go they went off. i am headed to the shop now to see if since it sat all night if they will come back on or not. i will call around for a switch.

i will let u all know if that does it.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:46 PM

took the headlight switch out and the solid green wire on the connector is melted and so is the connector at that wire. which that wire is the power wire to the dimmer switch for the head lights.

so i think we have the problem figured out.

i will let u all know after i change the switch and connector tomm.

joe
Old 04-05-2007, 06:57 PM

darn after all that! lol

next time check the switch first, lol
Old 04-06-2007, 12:13 AM

well when i played with the dimmer switch that made a diff so i figured it was that. and then after i took it out i saw how corrided and green looking some terminals where and figured that was the problem!!!!!!! yea right!!!!!!! lol
Old 04-07-2007, 01:04 AM

yea ok NOW THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! ok i disconnect both batteries. and cut all the wires on the old connector and connect them to the new switch and tape it all back up and put in the new switch and then hook the batteries back up.

i pull the **** out and guess what. NO HEADLIGHTS. so i pull the dimmer switch for the high beams and the high beams work. so i try the low beams again and just blackness. then i drive about 50 feet and the lights flickered a little so i put the low beams back on and they worked for about 2 blocks and then went out again so i put the high beams back and and drove around for awhile playing with and and still no low beams.

there is one power wire coming out of the headlight switch to the dimmer switch for the headlights. so ok i know the headlight switch is working.

i got it now so the ligths don't go off and on but the low beams don't work.

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2007, 04:39 AM

You sure you did the wiring all right? Makes me wonder what made the wire behind the headlight switch melt in the first place! I don't know man. Hard to say on the forums. Might have to take it to a shop...
Old 04-07-2007, 11:09 AM

yes its wired right. as there is only wire coming from that to the dimmer switch were then it goes out for low and high beam on seperate wires. the guy at the dodge dealer said that wire usually melts if u pull trailers alot cause of the draw they take from the lights. he says that the service guys run the trialer lights off there own power line and use a toggle switch.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:17 PM

found the problem for no low beams. it was the power wire at the connection on the dimmer switch. got that fixed and so far no problems. will let u know in a week for sure after i do this vacation trip.

joe
Old 04-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Glad you got it fixed!