2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

headlights go off and on i replaced the switch now what??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
timmy22 this horrible burning smell your talking about......
did it smell like varnish or nail polish remover... almost so strong you have to roll down the window?

Where is this headlight stitch you speak of?
My headlights will turn on , but no running lights, and the fuses are all in tact.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b.lee
Where is this headlight switch you speak of?
Ummm, it is in the dash. Upper left hand corner. You usually have to pull the *** out towards you to turn the lights on.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what else is there to try besides that switch?? this is driving me nuts and i really need my truck.

thanks,
joe
Old 04-04-2007, 01:39 AM

man i just priced a headlight switch at carquest and they wanted $120.00 man i just replaced the multi-function switch for $57.00 where is a cheap place for the switch and also any other ideas on the problem??

i went out just a bit ago to take 2 buds home and started the truck and then pulled the **** out to turn the lights on and the headlights didn't come on but the parking lights did. then i pulled the dimmer switch and they didn't stay on so i held it and they did and then let off and they went out again. then finally they came back on. and then we started driving and they went on and off a few times.

what the F_CK!!!!!!!!! this is driving me nuts. i found on the main battery that the positive terminal connector had a crack and didn't want to be tight tight so i replaced that and that didn't help and that was earlier today.

joe
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Banned

$120? From what I can tell Chrysler MSRP is only $70 and it can be purchased online for about $50.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:07 AM

Maybe it's just shooting in the dark but have you checked the ground straps on left side of fender ?

There are 3 straps, 2 underneath washer bottle and one on top or radiator support. If you have any corrosion they might not conduct well and you loose the lights when drawing more power.

I am sure it's not your case but it takes just a minute to check.
Old 04-04-2007, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Racing_Joe66
man i just priced a headlight switch at carquest and they wanted $120.00 man i just replaced the multi-function switch for $57.00 where is a cheap place for the switch and also any other ideas on the problem??

i went out just a bit ago to take 2 buds home and started the truck and then pulled the **** out to turn the lights on and the headlights didn't come on but the parking lights did. then i pulled the dimmer switch and they didn't stay on so i held it and they did and then let off and they went out again. then finally they came back on. and then we started driving and they went on and off a few times.

what the EDIT this is driving me nuts. i found on the main battery that the positive terminal connector had a crack and didn't want to be tight tight so i replaced that and that didn't help and that was earlier today.

joe

Wow! yours is expensive, here it is at napa...

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...adlight+Switch

Here is mine at napa...

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...adlight+Switch

Watch the language on here, There are women and children viewing. even if you don't actually spell it out, they will get after you for it.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:46 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! yours is expensive
I've found that starting in '97 most electrical components take a big jump. What's unfortunate also is the older components are just a little bit different, you're stuck with the higher price.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:57 AM

those ground wires where going to be my next thing to check as i did notice a little corrosion there.

anything else??
Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 PM

i have 3 ground wires on the RAD. they were clean as a whissle i will have to see about the one underneath.

i think i might just hard wire the lights with a pull **** switch for the headlights and then a toggle switch for the high beams.

has anyone done this and have a wirring diaghram and an idea on how to do it??

thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 PM

I don't know about you but this 2001 of mine looks sweeter day by day.....

I think you can try to swap cab and bed, you will get a 1997 quad cab....
Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Valv
I don't know about you but this 2001 of mine looks sweeter day by day.....
Yeah, I'd rather have lift and injection pump issues than headlight switch isssues any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:07 PM

LOL!!! yea!!! man this is just getting me one big headache. yea i was thinking about your truck again today.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:35 PM

So it wasn't the relays or fuses.. How about replacing a bulb? This sort of thing has happened to me twice where a faulty bulb was the culprit. On my last truck, the right headlight would go off and on. Seemed like a short somewhere and the bulb looked fine, but I replaced it anyway... Problem solved. On a Toyota we had, both headlights didn't work except for high beams and it turned out the low-beam filaments burned out. They were dual filament bulbs just like your headlight bulbs.

BTW, this multi-function switch you were talking about, is that the one in the steering column that controls the high beams? Since your ground wires were clean (and you know your truck's condition better than me), I suspect the wires are intact. I'd check those relays and fuses once more and make sure all the terminals are good. There's so many of them they're easy to miss. Also, some relays and fuses adversely affect other electrical components.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:37 PM

i changed the bulbs and it still does it.

basically the only thing i haven't changed is the regular headlight switch.

Quick Reply: headlights go off and on i replaced the switch now what??