2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Full Float and Semi Float Axles

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Full Float and Semi Float Axles

I just want to verify I know, or don't know, what I'm talking about. I read on a reputable rear end parts web site that, I forget the exact wording, a full floating axle is bolted onto the hub from the wheel end of the axle.
It is my understanding that Dana 70's, like the rear in my truck, use Semi-float axles, meaning they are bolted to the hub from the outside, and semi-floats are axles, usually in larger rears, where the axle fits into splines in the hub and a metal cap is bolted onto the outside of the hub to hold the axle in and seal the rear from losing gear oil.
Is my understanding correct? Maybe it was a typo on the web site?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-26-2004, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hope this helps.Full float axles can be removed without removeing diff cover.Semi float u must remove diff cover to remove axles.Like i said hopes this helps
Old 05-26-2004, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full floaters are on all big trucks. You recognize them by that big bearing hub and the ring of bolts. In this picture that flange with the bolts in it IS the end of the axle shaft itself.

All your light duty trucks like F150's, K1500's use semi floating axles. There is a groove cut in the end of the axle (the end in the pumkin) that accepts a "C" clip. That "C" clip actually hold your entire axle/wheel/tire on your truck.

The axle and hub that the wheel bolts to are one piece. If something in the pumpkin breaks or the "C" clip fails, that where you see somebody on the side of the road with the whole axle/wheel/tire assy stick out of the axle. They are light duty. They call them semi floating because one end of the axle (pumpkin end) just floats in there, only using the splines to drive. The hub end also acts as the load bearing shaft for the truck with a large axle bearing surrounding it.

The axle shaft on a full floater is simply a bar that is splined on both ends, or, in the case of the rear axle, has a driving flange on it..
All straight axle front axles are full floaters. The hubs on full floaters is a large bearing assy that is attached to the axle housing. The wheel hub is part of that assy and not connected to an axle. You can remove the axle and still have a wheel/tire on the vehicle. The axle itself simply "floats" inside the axle housing, connected only to the wheel end and pumpkin end with splines. Since both sides float, they call it a full floater. The axle shafts take no weight load at all, they only "drive".

This is a full floater exploded assy view. Notice the shaft is splined on bothe ends.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:31 AM

dana 70

Your Dana 70 is a full floater.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hoot,

Nice display!!

But not all semi floating axles had the c-clip, for example the Mopar 8 3/4 and the Mopar Car Dana 60, the one bearing at the end of the axle by the wheels was pressed onto the axle and there was a retainer that bolts to the rearend to keep everything "in place" no C-clip.
Old 05-26-2004, 05:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
OK, got it. I thought there was a difference between the ones that bolt on the outside and the ones that are simply set in splines in the hub and retained by a cap. I guess both of those are floaters.

Thanks for the extended info, Hoot.

Chris
Old 05-26-2004, 05:58 PM

So if we wanted to pull our axles out of our axle tubes we would not need to open the diff? How does the axle stay in the tube. I was under the impression that all axles where c-clipped.

-CM
Old 05-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Banned

Not to confuse but some older Fords were bolt in semi floating axles.
cmckinney look at Hoot's first pic. Those bolts hold the axle in on a full float.
Didn't GM have a 3500 with a semi float around 88 or so with their redesign?? Not sure on that one.