2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Fuel sending unit module

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel sending unit module

Anyone know of a source for aftermarket fuel sending unit module that goes in the tank for 01 Ram diesel ? I sure hate to pay what the ******* wants . All because of a torn filter screen at the bottom !! It should be a replaceable part but it`s not . This is not fuel pump module , fuel pump is on motor.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 PM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I would check Vulcan Performance. I bought a modified one from them many years ago and the price modified was well under the oem. No idea what they have going now but link takes you to the page and it does appear they have gone up in price but no idea what a new oem goes for now either.

Other fuel system upgrades
Old 06-24-2016, 06:38 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
You can also look at a salvage/junk yard for one that is still in good condition.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I got a used one from member Redlinear....not sure if he's still around, though. Never see any posts from him anymore....
Old 06-26-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I have several of those in the shop.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I have several of those in the shop.
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to replace the sending unit and use it without that filter screen and replace the inline filter more often. The same principal as a draw straw. Now I can find out how to get the old sending unit off. No screws. Looks like it slides in a channel but I cant see what holds it in place. Same with the wires.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
The sending unit drops in the tank then has a threaded ring that screw down above them holding them in place.
The fuel lines have push lock style ends.
The fuel wires have a red "lock latch" that needs to be slid to the side to un-clip it the rest of it.
Old 06-26-2016, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
The sending unit drops in the tank then has a threaded ring that screw down above them holding them in place.
The fuel lines have push lock style ends.
The fuel wires have a red "lock latch" that needs to be slid to the side to un-clip it the rest of it.
I'm sorry. I should has been more specific. I have dropped the tank and pulled the fuel module. I need to remove the fuel level sending unit and replace the unit. It is not held on module by screws like most I have seen. It looks like there is a slot it slides up into but I don't know what locks it in place and. I'm leary of prying up on it without knowing how it locks in place. The wires go to the underside of the top where the wire harness plugs in on top. If I was home I would try to post a picture but I wont be home until tomorrow about noon.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:45 AM

Old 06-27-2016, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might be able to fix your currently one for a lot cheaper. It is simply a loss of pressure on those screws. You might be able to remove the screws and insert a small spring to reapply the pressure.

1. If you drop the fuel tank you can then remove the sending unit.

2. Drill a little slit underneath the senders support brace.

3. Insert a small spring (maybe 1/4 in) from a local hardware or auto parts store into pin of the fuel lever sensor. Make sure the spring is tight enough so that there is enough pressure on the bracket which is in step 4.

4. Mount the bracket upside down so that it holds the spring in place.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy57
You might be able to fix your currently one for a lot cheaper. It is simply a loss of pressure on those screws. You might be able to remove the screws and insert a small spring to reapply the pressure.

1. If you drop the fuel tank you can then remove the sending unit.

2. Drill a little slit underneath the senders support brace.

3. Insert a small spring (maybe 1/4 in) from a local hardware or auto parts store into pin of the fuel lever sensor. Make sure the spring is tight enough so that there is enough pressure on the bracket which is in step 4.

4. Mount the bracket upside down so that it holds the spring in place.

There are no screws on this unit but thanks for the reply ,
Old 06-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Just for grins, could that be a Jeep Liberty fuel module?

I have had numerous Ram modules out over the years, from 94 to 02's and never have seen one like the one you have a picture of.

I do know they started using Liberty modules a few years back to retrofit when the supply of Ram ones started drying up.

I know I have never seen such an animal..........
Old 06-29-2016, 11:18 AM
Administrator

Looking, it could also be a 2003 up ram fuel module.
Old 06-29-2016, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Looking, it could also be a 2003 up ram fuel module.
Well I really couldn't say. I know I ordered it from the factory in 2000 and this is the first time the fuel tank has been dropped and the fuel sending unit replaced. I think this is the only one I have ever seen without screws to hold it on.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LDoyle
Well I really couldn't say. I know I ordered it from the factory in 2000 and this is the first time the fuel tank has been dropped and the fuel sending unit replaced. I think this is the only one I have ever seen without screws to hold it on.
Glad you said this, it drove me nuts and I learned something new today.

The fuel level sending unit was changed in 2000 to part number 04897669AB and indeed doesn't use the screws to attach. Looks exactly like the one you posted.

Still doesn't help with the screen but at least I know there is a different sender for the 00-02 modules........

Quick Reply: Fuel sending unit module