2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

First trip in my CTD!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First trip in my CTD!

Aside from the 330 mile drive home when I picked it up, I had my first stint travelling in the Sliver Ghost. With the new track bar and an alignment, the steering was SIGNIFICANTLY improved. It still wandered a bit but with a new set of tires and the DSS, I hope to eliminate that.
Got between 19 and 20 MPG on the 475 mile trip down to southern NJ. That's a 12% or 13% improvement over my Expedition. Not shabby at ALL. Overall very comfortable drive. I do miss my power driver's seat tho. I'd like to be able to tilt the base of the driver's seat down a little. It's borderline too high for me (5'6")

And you guys in southern Jersey are lucky! I found diesel for $2.09/gallon at a BP on Rt 38. I saw it for as low as $2.05. The BP I filled up at had an off-road diesel pump right next to the on-road diesel for $1.91!! I need to pick up a couple of 5 gallon diesel cans!! The price has dropped up here over the last week to $2.19. When I filled on Thursday morning it was $2.23.

It was a boys weekend. My 5 year old and I went to visit my 94 year old Italian grandmother and my uncle. Mommy was Christmas shopping with the girls! And he got to sit in the front with the airbag off the whole trip! That's a HUGE benefit over the Expedition!
Old 11-15-2004, 11:40 AM

Sounds like you had fun and the truck ran great.

Why the "Thumbs Down"???
Old 11-15-2004, 01:03 PM

OOOPS!!! Sorry!!!!!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone else from New England.

Glad to hear you had a good trip.

Where in Maine are you?
Old 11-15-2004, 08:37 PM

Next you need an Edge Comp, but leave the wire untapped for now. Then you'll REALLY enjoin your first ride in your CTD!!!
Old 11-16-2004, 06:14 AM

Nik, that sounds like the BP on Rt. 38 in Maple Shade, NJ. I lived for 13 years in that area before moving up the MA. I filled up there once, and the guy went for the off-road nozzle like it was the normal thing to do. He couldn't understand why I didn't want it. With the colder weather and the blended fuel, you're going to lose a couple of miles per gallon. Wait until April when the NE states stop blending, and you'll see a jump in fuel economy.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:52 AM

Doug,
I live in Augusta.

Commatoze,
You got it! My son and I went there to fill up after a trip to the Cherry Hill Mall. Lunch was at the nice little establishment just up 38 called Hooters! (wish we had one of those up HERE!)
My grandmother and uncle live in Pennsauken. My uncle has lived there for 40+ years, worked for RCA in Camden all his working life.

Say, is it a requirement for small gas station ownership that you be a Sihk Indian? I remember being down there in October 2001 when I picked up my Expedition (in Philly) and every one of their stations were flying American flags and signs that said "Proud to be Sihk AND American". I can't imagine what it was like to be wearing a turban during that time.

One of the things that made the trip was that we travelled down on Veterans Day and the traffic was pretty light (and I had a chance to talk about who veterans are and what veterans day means with my son) and came home Sunday with even lighter traffic. Even coming up thru New England's Perennial Construction Zone - I84 between Danbury and Hartford. I've gone down thru there at least once a year almost every year of my life. My grandparents lived in New Rochelle NY before moving in with my Uncle in Jersey. And I remember as a small boy my Dad complaining about construction on I84 every single year. And here we are, decades later, I'm travelling with MY son and huh.... Nothing's changed! We've even taken to using an alternate route - taking the Mass Pike all the way to the NY Thruway. It's a little longer (I'm not thinking more than half an hour given the differential in traffic) but a MUCH nicer drive. No offense CT and the Tappan Zee, but the Berkshires are beautiful. Going that way avoids CT construction, I-684 and the Tappan Zee. But since we were travelling on a holiday and Sunday, I rolled the dice and it came up 7's!
Old 11-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Banned

NIK

don't I repete don't buy offroad fuel its not worth the fines that come with being dipped!!!

Just my .02

CRIS
Old 11-17-2004, 12:02 AM

Aint it great to pull a Dad/son trip! The hard part is to have them like riding with you when they are teens. I found that as long as I dont make derogatory comments about the cd's he plays........ All is fine.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by pogorules
Aint it great to pull a Dad/son trip! The hard part is to have them like riding with you when they are teens. I found that as long as I dont make derogatory comments about the cd's he plays........ All is fine.
Ain't t the truth? I tell my 14 YO he can listen to whatever he wants....when he gets his own car!! Til then he's listening to mine.