2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Factory power mirror movement

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory power mirror movement

When I hit around 65 MPH or so, there is enough wind force to cause my driver side factory power mirror to move forward and back slightly. A bit annoying when trying to focus on the mirror for freeway lane changes and such. Does not do that on the passenger side. It seems the driver side mirror mount pole going into the base might be just a bit more loose than the passenger side. The glass is secure within the mirror but the mirror itself is moved by the wind. Is there any common adjustment somewhere that can be tightened so it will not move around so easily? Also, I am new 2 second gen trucks having owned my 96 for less than a week now. I am right in thinking that the mirror itself can be manually folded back up against the door? For example, if parked in a tight spot and you don't want someone to get hit in the head by your mirrors. Appreciate any info!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, 2nd gen mirrows fold back against the cab. As far as your other issue, on my 2nd gen, there is a spring with detent ball bearings to hold it in a position. There is no adjustment at the hinge.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM

Ok. Sounds like the detent mechanism or holding point is a bit weak. On the mirror folding, I take it that it folds to the cab and back into the one driving position.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Are they "mouse ear", or flip out tow mirrors?

My flip outs stay put but the glass can vibrate pretty good in windy situations at 70mph+.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Are they "mouse ear", or flip out tow mirrors?

My flip outs stay put but the glass can vibrate pretty good in windy situations at 70mph+.
They are the standard chrome power mirrors (not the optional door mount towing mirrors). Not sure if that answers your question?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:18 AM

I thought you were talking about the flipout towing mirrors. Sorry!

Last edited by 01RAMer; 06-19-2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-19-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by 01RAMer
I thought you were talking about the flipout towing mirrors. Sorry!
Ok. Just to confirm, the factory power mirrors ("Mouse ear type?") are meant to fold flat against the doors?
Old 06-23-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Sorry, I didn't know they were the old style.

The mouse ear shape are rounder and appeared on 98 and up models. The flip outs are rectangular and have a built in convex lens on the lower outside portion, and flip out if desired for towing.

On the 94 I believe they will fold all the way tight to the door but do not think they have any detents to hold position. I think its a friction fit with that nylon ring at the base of the mirror shaft where it meets the door mount.

If it is of any help, any of the three style mirrors will fit the 2nd gen series.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Sorry, I didn't know they were the old style.

The mouse ear shape are rounder and appeared on 98 and up models. The flip outs are rectangular and have a built in convex lens on the lower outside portion, and flip out if desired for towing.

On the 94 I believe they will fold all the way tight to the door but do not think they have any detents to hold position. I think its a friction fit with that nylon ring at the base of the mirror shaft where it meets the door mount.

If it is of any help, any of the three style mirrors will fit the 2nd gen series.
No problem. Here is a photo of the truck with the stock 96 power mirror type I am wondering about. Just don't want to snap something if they are not meant to fold flat against the doors LOL!
Attached Thumbnails Factory power mirror movement-truckpost2.jpg  
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 AM

My mirrors do the same thing. I took them off the truck and disassembled them on my bench and found the problem. I'll tell you what I found, but it was a few years ago so I am typing from a fading memory...

There is a flat ground in the shaft that the mirror housing is mounted to. This shaft has a 90° bend and runs into the bracket that mounts on the door. The flat is on the portion of the shaft that is in the bracket. There is a detent in the flat with a metal plate that is screwed to the bracket housing. The idea is the flat and plate will hold it in position while driving. My plate was a little distorted which allowed the slop you are experiencing. I bent it back in my vice which solved the problem.

Years later I started to see the mirrors moving again. This time the holes in the bracket that were used to hold the plate were starting to strip out. I guess I tightened the bolts a little too tight for the soft material that the bracket is made out of. When I get some time I plan on installing helicoils which should fix it for good.

take the mirror apart and hold the bracket and try to move the mirror. You should be able to see where the play is in the assembly. Have plenty of torx tools handy, you'll need them.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by bob95065
My mirrors do the same thing. I took them off the truck and disassembled them on my bench and found the problem. I'll tell you what I found, but it was a few years ago so I am typing from a fading memory...

There is a flat ground in the shaft that the mirror housing is mounted to. This shaft has a 90° bend and runs into the bracket that mounts on the door. The flat is on the portion of the shaft that is in the bracket. There is a detent in the flat with a metal plate that is screwed to the bracket housing. The idea is the flat and plate will hold it in position while driving. My plate was a little distorted which allowed the slop you are experiencing. I bent it back in my vice which solved the problem.

Years later I started to see the mirrors moving again. This time the holes in the bracket that were used to hold the plate were starting to strip out. I guess I tightened the bolts a little too tight for the soft material that the bracket is made out of. When I get some time I plan on installing helicoils which should fix it for good.

take the mirror apart and hold the bracket and try to move the mirror. You should be able to see where the play is in the assembly. Have plenty of torx tools handy, you'll need them.
Ok, thanks for relaying that info to me! I will definately add that to the project list. Also, I take it your factory power mirrors can fold all the way back flat against the door if needed, correct?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Ok, thanks for relaying that info to me! I will definately add that to the project list. Also, I take it your factory power mirrors can fold all the way back flat against the door if needed, correct?
I never did get confirmation on this question. Can anyone confirm this for a 96 with factory power mirrors?
Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sootnsmoke
Mine do.
Never thought of folding them back in a tight parking spot.
I always thought they folded back for when you drive too close to a pedestrian.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:20 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
Mine do.
Never thought of folding them back in a tight parking spot.
I always thought they folded back for when you drive too close to a pedestrian.
They fold flat AFTER you drive too close to a pedestrian.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:36 PM

I have a really tight garage spot to pull into to get my 91 and 96 into to work on them. On the 1st gen 91, the power mirrors are definately fixed. No folding back against the window.

On the 96, they appear to be firmly in position as well. I have never seen anyone fold them flat and I am not so sure the ones on my 96 truck do fold back. If so, they take more force to fold back than I am willing to apply. Doesn't seem right if they are foldable by design.