2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

dropping the fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dropping the fuel tank

I'm sure this has been covered before. but I've tried 3 searches and all end in 'not enough memory' errors..this sounds like a server side issue.

back to my problem...
I think the current blend of fuel, yes blend(biodiesel, diesel and mineral oil), has loosened junk in the fuel system. I've been running biodiesel since I bought the truck. so no problems there. I could have bought a bad batch of diesel..but the problems started before I added diesel. that leaves the mineral oil. I dryed and filtered( using a racor 2 micron) before putting this into my tank. the problem,( I have an Air Dog 100, its not the pump, I think), at idle the pressure is around 15psi..try to drive gently..drop to 10 or less..hard..forget it I've seen 0 ...I take my foot off at that point..

This morning I clean the water/fuel separator..and all was ok for about 20 miles..the problem is the same.

looks like I have to empty the fuel and drop the tank..darn..

any tips. I cannot lift the bed..I have jack that I can lower the tank. hopefully the bolts come out.
what should I check while its out other than to remove the dirt. at the moment I going to dump the fuel back into my biodiesel storage tank. clean the tank, the fuel sender setup, and refuel.

Thanks

-dkenny
Old 10-27-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need to try new filters not just cleaning the old ones. You will never easily remove particulate from micron level filters.

I'm not saying the problems isn't in your tank. However, always try to start with clean filters.

Last edited by meangreen96; 10-27-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-27-2010, 04:01 PM

agreed.
I tried change the 2micron filter already. it lasted about 20 miles before the same problem. I would change the water/fuel..but they are on order. I'm thinking I need to clean the tank before I replace more filters..just my thinking..
the water/fuel is 23 dollars..so i'm thinking cleaning the tank might be a good idea. its got 174Kmiles and I bought it used.

If I repump this fuel from my biodiesel storage its filter through a 2micro filter. not sure I made that known

-dkenny
Old 10-27-2010, 05:05 PM
Banned

I had to drain bad fuel out of my tank. I bought a hand pump siphon (cheap clear line with bulb) from the zone. Disconnect the fuel line going to the AD. Run the Siphon in through the line. Pump a couple of times & drain into a can. Tank required 35 gal to refill so I got most of the fuel out. If you're going to drop the tank, empty will make it easier.

Do a search on part numbers. One of the major suppliers (fleetguard??) makes filters that fit the AirDog. Easier to replace the water separator than bother cleaning it. Truck shop had both filters.

Next time I'll add a shut off valve between the pump & tank to make changing filters a cleaner process. I don't remember what the thread type & size is but you could call manufacturer.
Old 10-27-2010, 06:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The filter in the tank is basically self cleaning by the fuel sloshing back and forth.
Unless your fuel is really bad I doubt it's the problem.
At least exhaust all other possibilitys before going though the hassle of dropping the tank.
Remember to check the fuel supply hoses for kinks.
Old 10-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by infidel
The filter in the tank is basically self cleaning by the fuel sloshing back and forth.
Unless your fuel is really bad I doubt it's the problem.
At least exhaust all other possibilitys before going though the hassle of dropping the tank.
Remember to check the fuel supply hoses for kinks.
No telling what pick up he has installed with the AD. He could drain via the input to the AD hose then fill with fresh diesel say 5 gal. My pick up is far enough off the bottom to suck air when the tank is low and the fuel sloshes. This is apparently common because of the shape of the tank. I normally fill at 1/2 tank to avoid problems.

There was a post on another forum where they put a washer in to effectively add spring tension & increase fuel pressure. Kinking the AD hose would be difficult and obvious. Regardless, pressure shouldn't fluctuate more than a couple of pounds. Perhaps something electrical is loading the charging system.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:53 PM

new filters on on order..
I thinking i need to clean the tank because cleaning the water/fuel filter worked for a little while..to me this means there is more dirt in the tank. I know the biodiesel is filtered through 2 microns before the tank and its not cold enough to be a problem. so its either the dino diesel, the mineral oil or something else got loose in the tank. i'm not thinking the dino diesel or the mineral oil at this point but the combination loosed something in the fuel system..when I drain and flushed the water/fuel separator..the JUNK that can out..wow!! no water, but the dirt..

I thinking I need to clean the tank and such before changing the filters since cleaning the filters didn't help very long. and I had change the 2micron filter already..

-dkenny
Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be that your fuel filter has swelled shut from picking up water.
When I dry fuel (I make bio) I cook it up to 180F or so in an old water heater, then pull a vacuum on it to boil off the water. Works great. Youll need a condenser to keep from killing your vacuum pump though.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
After you drain the tank you won't have any problem dropping the tank without a jack but if you have a jack it doesn't hurt to use it. If you have a short bed you'll want to remove the cross member for easy tank removal. There's a trick to unhooking the plastic electrical and fuel line connectors so if you have difficulty with them ask for guidance before they get broken, and that happens a lot.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:05 PM

it turned out to be an easy job.
the pickup and tank were dirty. the filter screen at the bottom was thick with crud. its a wonder that fuel made it through. its all clean and back together. now if the rain would stop I could put more fuel in the tank and bled the system. new filters as soon as they arrive.

while I had the tank out I sprayed some rust neutralizier in all the areas around the tank. I hope it helps. I'd like to keep this truck a long time.

-dkenny
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Good to hear!