2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dropped fuel tank and broken brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dropped fuel tank and broken brake lines?

Hello Guys,

Just had to have a sending unit put in on the fuel tank as it was rotted and leaking fuel. I picked the truck up and had immediate brake problems as in they were squirting fluid all over (driver's side rear), the ABS light on, and the pedal very mushy. I took the truck back and left it there assuming they broke a brake line when dropping the tank.

I now get the story that they had to put a rear wheel cylinder on as they say it was corroded and going to go anyway - and want to bill for it. I appreciate your opinion as to whether you think that is reasonable or not. What is the probability of breaking a brake line when dropping the fuel tank? Thanks!
Old 08-14-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Pretty sure it's the law they can't do any work without your permission.
Should be free.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my understanding is that they MUST advise you of any work that needs to be done....and they MUST tell you if it is a SAFTY issue, because of this if you decline to have the issue fixed you MUST sign away any liability to the shop, ususally on a bill of sale they have a box and a little prepaired statement as to the fact that THEY ADVISED you of a repair that is "life and saftey" related and that if you..."check the box" you sign away the right to hold them responsible.

being that it is your BRAKES...i would figure that it applies....they SHOULD have told you that there was an issue with your brakes....before ever releasing the vehicle to you.....or given you the choice to fix or tell them their crazy and sign your "life" away.....

most shops here in CALI....wont even give you the keys if it is a safty issue unless you have it fixed or sign the release....

NCA