2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Replacement

OK folks - I have been reading for few hours on all the folks who share my issue. I've seen a few pics and some helpful hints but I was hoping to find a step by step DIY type thread.

Does anyone know if there is one? I can't seem to find one in my searches.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/de/...archTerms=dash
Old 10-18-2012, 10:05 AM

Thanks Dieselbuilder..I am ordering the parts from LMC but was looking for DIY from anyone that's done it for info on how to get by the airbags, find screws I'm missing, which order some steps should be done it to help make it easier and hopefully not break anything else lol. That type of thing.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I did a quick write up and posted pics from when I did mine.
Get the bezel too, you will probably end up damaging it during the swap.
Also there are screw adapters that are also plastic that you use to screw the dash to the steel of the firewall. Tough to describe but if you find my writeup you will see pictures of the way I replaced them when I broke mine...it might be easier to order new ones now before you have everything hanging down and no way to hold them up.
I also recommend getting the re-enforcement package with new screws and some shaped washers to spread the load from the screws across a wider area than just the round screw heads.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:49 PM

I replaced the dash in my ‘99 a few months back with the same dash you ordered from LMC. FIRST thing to do is disconnect the power feed to the air bag. I bought a Chilton Manual (#20404) and read up on the system. It’s a worth while read so recommend you pick up a copy. Disconnect the negative battery cables and isolate them to make sure they can’t touch any metal while you’re beating, banging and cussing with your dash. After disconnecting the cables you have to wait at least two minutes for the system capacitor to fully discharge. VERY IMPORTANT.
Remove the bezel trim piece. It snaps in so you just pry it out, working the edges. My existing dash was so cracked and busted up (including the bezel) that I literally just started carefully grabbing and breaking it out piece by piece. As I did so, I was able to see how the dash was mounted and salvaged all the screws holding the dash to the cab frame. I have a tilt steering wheel and an automatic so it helped by tilting the wheel all the way down and putting the shift lever down into 1st gear. Remove your glove box by pushing in on the middle of the back of the box so the ears on the side corners clear the stops. With the glove box out, look up into the cavity where it was and you’ll see two hex head bolts bolted into the steel cross member. Remove these two bolts to be able to remove the air bag assembly. The air bag is encased in a sheet metal box. These two bolts secure the back of the box. There are two metal tabs at the front of the box that fit into slots that keep the front of the box located. With the two bolts out you should be able to work the entire assembly out towards the front enough to reach behind and disconnect the wiring harness. Be very careful when handling the assembly and set it some place safe in the same position as it was when in your truck.
Now go have a beer, cause you need one if you are a nervous wreck like I was.
You remove all the screws you can see around the perimeter of the dash, including those that are tucked under the rubber door seal at each end. Know that all the vents are screwed to the underside of the dash. As I said, I took my old one out in pieces and discovered this. All the vent piping is rigid plastic with little or no play. With the old dash completely out you’re now ready to finagle your new one into place. If you are able to figure out a way to screw the windshield vents to the underside of the dash during assembly, then you are a better man then I Gunga-Din. The air bag assembly goes back the way it came out, same with the glove box. You mentioned that you had some missing screws; new ones come taped to your new dash.
Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 PM

Thanks Vadslram and Pat...that is great info and very helpful. As for the beer...it's been added to my list of tools to get the job done haha! I'll let you know how it all goes!

Bill
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM

dash replacement

Originally Posted by Pondsy
OK folks - I have been reading for few hours on all the folks who share my issue. I've seen a few pics and some helpful hints but I was hoping to find a step by step DIY type thread.

Does anyone know if there is one? I can't seem to find one in my searches.

Thanks in advance!
Pondsy - This is important info. here. Do not go to this much trouble to replace your dash, without first replacing your = "HEATER CORE" !!!!!
It would be a very bad thing to need to go back into the dash removal to replace a leaking heater core in a year from now or sooner.
Good Luck
Old 11-20-2012, 09:43 PM

Thanks hhrumph...fortunately, the heater core and evaperator(?? I think) were already done by the previous owner. :-)