2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruise control

My cruise control doesn't work. When I press the on button for the cruise to come on the speed control light in the console does not come on. I thought it may be just the light burnt out but I actually have no cruise control.

I have read that it may be a broken wire in the steering column from using the tilt. But before I get into any disassembly is there a fuse for cruise control that I have overlooked. Can't seem to find one in the fuse panel. Thanks

rd
Old 12-24-2004, 10:44 AM

Haven't checked for fuse, but when I bought my truck used the cruise was out, and I found the wire under the steering wheel cover to be the problem. I think 2 torx screws on the back side of the wheel will release the cover, and give access to some wiring. My clip-on connector was off. Easy fix. The airbag is inside that cover, I think, so treat it gently. I did go out to look for the fuse--none labeled cruise inside or under the hood. May be under another name.
Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 PM

My cruise light come on but cruise doesnt work.....any suggestions......cant find fuse either!
Old 12-24-2004, 02:05 PM

Red Diesel Kinda sounds like what was wrong with mine. Mine was a short in the wire (5 volt I think) Going through the fire wall to the PCM ( or ECM the one on the firewall passenger side) Added new wire from in cab to the PCM.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:04 PM

If light works but no cruise, check the small plastic hose under the drivers side battery tray. It is a small black plastic hose that provides vacume to the cruise servo. It comes from the vacume pump and goes (after a "T" I think) to the servo. It is a common failure, battery acid drips on the plastic hose and you get a leak. No more cruise till leak in vacume is located.

A quick fix is electrical tape. Kind of hard to get under there without removing the battery.

Another common problem is check your brake lights. Even the 3rd brake light. If a bulb is out, cruise may not work.

Mine had a small leak. Sometime the cruise would work, sometimes not. After repair, cruise acted funny till I disconnected the batteries for awhile and let it relearn. Kevin
Old 12-24-2004, 05:35 PM

As stated, check the cruise solenoid and plumbing under driver side batt., check brake light switch adjustment(it will stop cruise from engaging), check wires to switches under cover of steering column, they pull off switches or break because of short length.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:24 PM

where does the vacuum hook up? I have hydroloic over brakes and cruise was working ok the last time i used it. When I hooked up trailer vacuum wouldnt build over -12lbs. Found a cap(I thought) missing on vacuum line, replaced it and vacuum/brakes worked fine.....could/does a vacuum line hook up here that works the cruise? Located at top of fire wall on driver side. thanks Rick
Old 12-24-2004, 09:02 PM

Yes, you have vacuum lines along the firewall under the rubber seal that seals the hood to the firewall. That rubber seal comes off pretty easy to get a better look.

The vacuum line starts at the vacuum pump. It is sistered right next to the power steering pump. Locate the power steer pump and it is just in front of (towards the front of the truck) that. You can see the thin black vacuum line originating at the top of the vacuum pump. It is thinner than you expect, maybe 3/16" OD. Black plastic hose. Follow that and it will lead to all the other vacuum lines that you have on your truck.

Like CarlJensen said, and I should have mentioned (thanks Carl), the brake switch can give you trouble as well. If it is out of adjustment, what can happen is the switch makes contact with the brake pedal arm and whenever you hit a bump it can trigger the brake signal to tell the cruise to disengage. Usually the symptom for this is the cruise works, but then disengages on it's own. Follow the brake pedal up and you will find the switch. Really bad adjustment would have the brake lights on all the time.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the cruise switch itself. It can get gunky and not work properly. Remove it by getting at the two screws at the back of the steering wheel, unplug it, then spray some contact cleaner (NOT BRAKE CLEAN-IT WILL MELT THE PLASTIC), up under all the stuff in the switches. Really douse it, then blow it dry with compressed air. After it's dry, reconnect and reinstall. Just don't over tighten the switch mounting screws or you will break the plastic recieving part that the screws go into. Ask me how I know that one .

Good Luck, Happy Holidays