2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Coil Spring & Shock advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Coil Spring & Shock advice

Hello;

I'm planning to replace my front springs, shocks, and control arms before I put a new set of tires on my truck (should be a good 6-months or so.

I'm looking for input on recommendations for different springs and shocks (already have the control arms).

I would prefer to keep the factory ride height, but I have one of those heavy front bumpers. There are lots of springs that show rated a little heavier than stock but also advertise they give a 2.5" lift. With my heavy front bumper, do you think springs like this would give me a factory ride-height?

Also; I would like to run just a tad larger tires. Thinking about 295/75R16 (going back to 2nd gen wheels). Anybody running those and do they rub?

Would the higher lift from different springs help run the larger tires? Seems like my rubbing problems are on the control arms, not anything that would change with a higher ride-height (the 3rd gen wheels have different backspacing bringing the centerline of the wheel further inboard)

I attached a picture of my front bumper to this thread (I think)

Thanks in advance for any and all replies

--Matt
Attached Thumbnails Coil Spring & Shock advice-wp_20160228_014.jpg  
Old 12-16-2017, 06:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Call Aaron or Thuren @ https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pr...-and-3500.html
It's their business to ask your needs and supply a solution. The 2.0 reservoir shocks might do the job.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
the more you lift, the further the short control arms pull the axle backwards,

so you may need control arms
Old 12-17-2017, 04:45 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
My truck has the heavy duty stock springs and they are two different rates. The snow plow prep package got these. Why two different rates? I couldn't tell you, but they are still stiff and even after 160K miles. I have the 2.5" leveling kit and Thuren trac bar and quality shocks.

As mentioned, wider tires rub on the control arms...longer control arms may be needed above a 2.5 inch lift depending on your truck, 2002 models seemed to have the axle a bit further back than the rest.

Not sure how heavy that bumper is but can't imagine it would pull the springs down 2" unless it outweighs the Cummins....It certainly isn't heavier than a plow set up. I'd run with the stock heavy's and good shocks...
Old 12-17-2017, 07:29 PM

Thanks everybody for all the replies.

Kurt,

Where do I find the "heavy factory" springs you reference in your post? All of the parts store around here don't offer anything specifically heavier than just the normal springs for the 8800 GVWR trucks.

Danderson,

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give those guys a call next week and see whay they think.

All,

Just to clarify in my first post, I do not want to lift my truck. I prefer to keep the factory ride height. I do want to replace my factory- original coil springs as they seem to be worn out after 320,xxx miles, but I'm wondering how my heavy front bumper would affect my ride height with the various springs on the market today.

Thanks again to everybody for the replies!!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:01 PM

Probly thru a dealership, I hate to say...there used to be a site round here with the spring rates and codes all listed...anyone?
Old 12-18-2017, 03:04 PM

Found it...dodgeram.org

Dig around in there...
Old 12-18-2017, 06:35 PM

Well,,,, called my local dodge dealer today. They tell me that the coil springs for my truck have been discontinued....

Anybody have any experience with General Spring? www.generalspringkc.com

They have a set of springs advertised as 500#'s heavier rated than factory.

I haven't called Thruen yet, will give them a chat tomorrow.

I'll look up the springs on dodgeram.org. Thank you for that info.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:44 PM

Kurt;

Do you know how I know which of the springs on dodgeram.org are the ones that would have came on my truck?

Is there a way to know from the VIN number? Whatever tags were on the springs are long gone... and I don't see anything about this on the door or glove box decals.

In reality, I would assume any of them for the 2500/3500 would fit fine. And getting the heaviest rated springs might not be a bad idea. But I don't want too rough a ride

Thanks again to everybody for the information.

--Matt
Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 PM

Never-mind; I think I figured it out.

If you look here: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com...roduct=4584821

I can find all the different springs listed on dodgeram.org on the page at that link EXCEPT for the #047 tag springs. Since my local dealer tells me the springs are discontinued for my truck I believe that my truck probably came with the #047 springs.

Also, this would make sense because of what my truck is in that it would have came with the middle-weight spring. It would be not the heaviest rated springs (#048) because it is not a 3500 or have the snow plow package. Also, my truck should not have the lighter spring (#046) because it is a 2500 with a diesel.

Anyway. I'll be ordering a pair of the #048 springs (52039048) either from the link above, or I'll call my local dealer again and see how much they want for them.

Thanks again to everybody for the input
Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 AM

UPDATE:

Talked to a different parts guys at my local Dodge dealer. He was able to tell from my VIN that my truck came with the 037/038 springs from the factory. I was surprised to see this being that my truck is a 3/4 ton Cummins...

All of the springs show discontinued, but they do have stock available for the 048 springs.

QUESTION:

Do you think it matters if I replace both my front springs with the 048 springs when the factory put different weight springs on different sides?

I may not have much other options that the same spring on each side anyway. The non-dealership parts stores offerings do not differentiate the weight-difference from the left or right side springs...

Thanks again to everybody for the input

--Matt