3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need Help with Shock/Coil Over mounting options

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Help with Shock/Coil Over mounting options

Hey guys, I need some help. I got into a wreck with a drunk driver last friday and ended up breaking and bending my front shocks and springs. I am pretty sure I am going to get a set of King Coil Overs from Don Thuren on a 2.5 14" travel shock.

What I am really needing to find is a way to mount the top of the shock. Does anyone out there have a plate that will bolt up to the bottom of the Spring cup with shock mounting tabs? Basically instead of mounting the coil over through the spring cup, I want to mount it to the bottom. Has anybody seen anything like this? Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? I am kind of in a time crunch.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:47 PM

ETA

Sorry, I hadn't fully digested the post before responding. The quick answer is no, but it seems like it would be easy to fabricate. I would add another disc of steel on the top to locate the adapter in the coil bucket hole. That way all of the shear load won't be just on the 3 bolts.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ
ETA

Sorry, I hadn't fully digested the post before responding. The quick answer is no, but it seems like it would be easy to fabricate. I would add another disc of steel on the top to locate the adapter in the coil bucket hole. That way all of the shear load won't be just on the 3 bolts.

That is what I was thinking as well. A Plate to mount to the top and a 1/4" plate to mount to the bottom with either through bolts and nuts, or studs welded to the lower 1/4".
Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 AM

I saw your post talking about the 14" shock being to long. I am currently running a 14" FagTech Dirt Logic 2.25 and I only have about 2" of droop. I am at about 10" of suspension lift right now on custom radius arms. I just would like to use a coil over instead of shock and spring.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:14 AM

I'd want to lock the plate into the hole in the coil mount to reduce shear load on the studs. I'm thinking a 3" (or whatever the opening is that the factory shocks pass through) diameter disc or section of tube welded to the top of the 6" diameter plate, not a duplicate of the 6" plate above. The duplicate plate doesn't solve the issue.

Look at it like putting a saucer on a dinner plate, when the saucer securing the plate side to side in the shock hole.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26 AM

I understand what you are saying, it is just a little hard to explain in writing, and it would be easy enough to fab up, if I had the time and my truck to do so.

My problem is, I need a bolt in type system to give to the repair shop so that they can just bolt it all in and not worry about it.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 AM

I'd think someone like Lorenz or Carli could make it and send it out. I have no idea what they would charge.

Reading your post about the 2" of down travel, you probably want to integrate some substantial drop into the mounts to get the shocks closer to the middle of their travel range (You can't be using 12" of up travel). Your coil rates will also effect height a lot. I was reading another post suggesting that the range is somewhere between 320 lb and 400 lb. If you're running a dual coil setup you'll need to run something like 700/700 coils to equal a combined 350 lb rate. You can determine the ride height by choosing longer coils, but only to a certain extent. The coil carrier can't get past the bottom of the shock body and the coils can bow as they get longer.

With coilovers there is no "bolt on at the local repair shop". They require calculation and tuning, sometimes ordering different coils and revalving the shocks to get it dialed in.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by CrashCade
I am pretty sure I am going to get a set of King Coil Overs from Don Thuren on a 2.5 14" travel shock.
If you are buying the shocks from Don, I would think he would have some way to mount them, have you talked to Don?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM

I could make them as well...
Old 05-29-2009, 07:32 PM

Hey guys, I know Don can make them. He is just crunched for time, and I need to have something in hand by end of next week that I can hand the body shop and they can just boly in. That is what I am looking at.

Does anybody have pictures of one that is made like that already?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:55 PM

You can see if these guys will sell you just the mounts.

http://www.spirsonoffroad.com/